Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's everyones thoughts on requiring anyone who wishes to immigrate to YOUR country to be required to learn the language to become a citizen??

This is cause of a recent story coming out of CA, that because of 7 million residents who either DON'T speak English, or do but poorly making a stink, the DOJ has gotten on the state legislature to change the laws for CIVIL court cases that the STATE is on the hook to provide for a Translator..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      What's everyones thoughts on requiring anyone who wishes to immigrate to YOUR country to be required to learn the language to become a citizen??

I agree with that.

Why is assimilation a bad thing?

Come here to live, learn a bit of our language and try to fit in. Nothing wrong with that..

Meanwhile in my corner of the world the govt. is blaming environmental groups for shutting down various mining ventures so it is doing this..

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz3j8leJUy4

Very disappointed.
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

This is cause of a recent story coming out of CA, that because of 7 million residents who either DON'T speak English, or do but poorly making a stink, the DOJ has gotten on the state legislature to change the laws for CIVIL court cases that the STATE is on the hook to provide for a Translator..
        I would go further. In my view, a country should have an official language, such as English for the U.S., and the government should only provide services, information, communication of any sort in the official language of the country.
        No translation services, no 2nd language, no nothing. Speak and read the official language or get out.

Comment

Fair call
          Making a stink about what exactly?
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            I would go further. In my view, a country should have an official language, such as English for the U.S., and the government should only provide services, information, communication of any sort in the official language of the country.
            No translation services, no 2nd language, no nothing. Speak and read the official language or get out.
            Many countries do have official languages.. I say the official language of the US should be the one spoken by the first people to live there. The same with the culture, anyone who moves there should adapt to the culture that already exists..

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
              I agree with that.

Why is assimilation a bad thing?

Come here to live, learn a bit of our language and try to fit in. Nothing wrong with that..
              Ahh, but you see Coco, -our- version of assimilation is seen as bad by some people.
              We see a "Russian" speaking like an Australian and trying to fit in as a -good thing-, hell we will even be proud of the fact that they are here if they are playing a sport, and we will call them Aussies, because they -chose- to be here.
              Elsewhere they are -not- "Aussies" but "Russian Australians" because some countries value where you come from far more important than where you -choose- to be.

Meanwhile in my corner of the world the govt. is blaming environmental groups for shutting down various mining ventures so it is doing this..

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz3j8leJUy4

Very disappointed.
              Not surprised though are you?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                Many countries do have official languages.. I say the official language of the US should be the one spoken by the first people to live there. The same with the culture, anyone who moves there should adapt to the culture that already exists..

Bloody tourists staying past their Visa's, If only the Tribes had a big wall with a beautiful door in it that everyone wanted to get through...........
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  Fair call

Making a stink about what exactly?
                  That's not important to the point he's making

They're foreign and they talk funny! What else do you need to know? ....

Comment

Bloody tourists staying past their Visa's, If only the Tribes had a big wall with a beautiful door in it that everyone wanted to get through...........
                    Seems a bit hypocritical for the descendant of an immigrant to demand everyone who arrived after his family to adapt to his culture, when clearly his ancestors didn't even try with the natives..

Comment

Seems a bit hypocritical for the descendant of an immigrant to demand everyone who arrived after his family to adapt to his culture, when clearly his ancestors didn't even try with the natives..
                      I would run with an honest "Arrogant Ignorance"
                      sigpic

Comment

Immigrants to Belgium are required to learn the language of the region to migrated to. If they live in Flanders, that would be Dutch. The south is French, and to the east we have a smidgen of German. If you can prove that you are making an effort, chances are you are allowed to stay. Having a steady income, also helps greatly.

In my view, a country should have an official language, such as English for the U.S....
                        Belgium has two official languages, with a third on the side: Dutch, French and German.
                        My native language is Dutch as I hail from the north part of the country, Flanders. My second language is English, then French and I have basic notions of German.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Not surprised though are you?

Not really.. I mean it couldn't be more obvious the mining companies are pulling the strings.
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Obviously, you're referring to the Europeans coming to this continent and displacing the native American Indians, rather than becoming Indians themselves.

That was a different situation. I'm not saying that it's wrong or right, but the fact is that a technologically advanced culture encountered a primitive one, and as always happens, the more advanced culture displaced the primitive one.

Totally different circumstances than we have today.

Comment

Obviously, you're referring to the Europeans coming to this continent and displacing the native American Indians, rather than becoming Indians themselves.

That was a different situation. I'm not saying that it's wrong or right, but the fact is that a technologically advanced culture encountered a primitive one, and as always happens, the more advanced culture displaced the primitive one.

Totally different circumstances than we have today.
                              Why was it different? Because the invaders were white? Because they were your ancestors? And the natives weren't primitive, their culture and their way of life suited their needs. As for displaced.. I think the word you're looking for is "massacred"

The only difference now is that the white English speaking folk are being asked to share their cities with brown folks who speak different languages.. Think of the property values!!
                              Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 18 August 2015, 06:12 AM.

Comment

It was different simply because the natives didn't have the technology to stand up to the weapons carried by the Europeans, so there was no assimilation, the Euros simply walked in and did what they wanted. This happens whenever a primitive culture encounters a more advanced one. (And a good reason why we shouldn't be so anxious for ET to land on Earth, as well.)

As I said, I'm not saying wether that is wrong or right, it is simply a statement of what happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X