This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
    Discussion wasn't about totemic gifts, it was about the Eagle which does have political ties for the US and was brought up as discussion in this thread and I was responding to your comments.
    It WAS yes, You *Chose* to inject "my Ex-hubby" and him being a Native American and his views on this, not I.
    I merely pointed out that the Eagle was seen to be a bringer of "visions". Rome used the Eagle as a *vision* of Roman rule throughout the known world because they considered themselves "advanced". America did the same by having a "vision" of the world and mankind being "beyond what they are now", and the Nazi's used the eagle to represent "thier vision" as well.
    Keeping it to America however, America was the land of "Hope and Freedom", where all men are equal. You guys had slavery, you fought a civil war to end it in a time when slavery was the "norm". If thats not "visionary" I dunno what is.

Wow, you do not know/understand Eagles at all!
    Obviously
    And seeing how further conversation will continue to go off-topic, I'm done with this conversation.
    Err, ok then, seeya........
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2
      But this is such a pleasant conversation (for once). No antagonistic nationalism, no political cultural ethnocentrism, no one is generalizing/demonizing an entire people, no snide back handed insults, just plain good conversation.
      Well, if we can find a way to keep it on, or close to topic, I'd be more than willing to continue the discussion.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      It WAS yes, You *Chose* to inject "my Ex-hubby" and him being a Native American and his views on this, not I.
      Um...actually never said anything about 'ex', nor did I state that it was his views I was expressing.
      I only brought up the Native American part because I thought it would help established where some of my thinking was coming from. I thought that it was really great that our founding fathers went with the Bald Eagle, when it was also held in high esteem for the original inhabinants of North America. It was probably the one status symbol between two separate cultures that inadvertently tied both cultures together.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976
      I merely pointed out that the Eagle was seen to be a bringer of "visions". Rome used the Eagle as a *vision* of Roman rule throughout the known world because they considered themselves "advanced". America did the same by having a "vision" of the world and mankind being "beyond what they are now", and the Nazi's used the eagle to represent "thier vision" as well.
      Keeping it to America however, America was the land of "Hope and Freedom", where all men are equal. You guys had slavery, you fought a civil war to end it in a time when slavery was the "norm". If thats not "visionary" I dunno what is.
      Actually you didn't explain until now the 'vision' part and for me when I read that I went to a whole different interpetation that is off-topic so I won't go into it here.

I can appreciated your interpetation of 'vision'.
      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Obviously

Err, ok then, seeya........
        the British empire banned slavery in 1833, 32 years earlier, even france beat you by almost 20 years, so if anything the USA was dragging its feet

Comment

Iceland abolished slavery in 1117, so if anything, pretty much every other country in the world was dragging its feet.
          My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
            the British empire banned slavery in 1833, 32 years earlier, even france beat you by almost 20 years, so if anything the USA was dragging its feet
            The British empire also started the Africian slave trade
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
              "You?" He's Australian.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                "You?" He's Australian.
                Yeah, we had "White Australia" and "stolen Generations" instead............
                We are far from innocent in dealing with the native population either unfortunately

Funny thing though, *because* of our "Ex-con" history we have/had a general sense of unity with the African American "Ex-slave caste", seeing them as "brothers" of a sort. Yet we never seemed to extend it to our native population
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Yeah, we had "White Australia" and "stolen Generations" instead............
                  We are far from innocent in dealing with the native population either unfortunately

Funny thing though, *because* of our "Ex-con" history we have/had a general sense of unity with the African American "Ex-slave caste", seeing them as "brothers" of a sort. Yet we never seemed to extend it to our native population
                  Same thing happened to America with our native population.

Comment

My Brother just shared this with me on Facebook... It is of a speech given by none other than Charlie Chaplin, the star of early silent films. When he finally got the chance to be heard, he truly said some things worth hearing and listening to. It is only a few minutes long (not even 4 minutes), but it is POWERFUL...

The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      The British empire also started the Africian slave trade
                      The slave trade is a hell of a lot older than the British Empire, and by no means exclusive to Africa. Hell, Turkish marauders used to take English slaves from the south coast at one point.

Comment

Never claimed slavery started with the Africian slave trade
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                          The slave trade is a hell of a lot older than the British Empire, and by no means exclusive to Africa. Hell, Turkish marauders used to take English slaves from the south coast at one point.
                          I think he meant that the British started the slave trade between Africa and the New World, rather than slavery or the slave trade in general.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Never claimed slavery started with the Africian slave trade

Comment

Unfortunaly and realistically I don't think slavery has yet to be truley abolished.
                            I like Sharky
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                              Unfortunaly and realistically I don't think slavery has yet to be truley abolished.
                              Nope. I think it's illegal in pretty much every country world-wide, but slavery is a big problem that takes many forms, and exists in every country in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                                Nope. I think it's illegal in pretty much every country world-wide, but slavery is a big problem that takes many forms, and exists in every country in the world.
                                Oh yes well We all know that making something ILLEGAL always nips it in the bud....and now I want a beer.
                                I like Sharky
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X