This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goose View Post
    Which is understandable, since it's a very sterotypical statement.
    Is it a "stereotype" when people respond *exactly* as predicted?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Which is understandable, since it's a very sterotypical statement.
      That doesn't make it wrong. A stereotype isn't automatically wrong, because it's propagated so much, but because it's either factually correct or incorrect. Small towns are generally higher in church attendance, due to the more aged population, who tend to be more religious than the younger population. Gun ownership is more prevalent in rural areas than urban areas, and even in Britain this is obvious.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Graybrew1 View Post
        Don't you think all Politicians stick their feet in their mouth from time to time? This is coming from a person that did not and will not vote for Obama. I prefer the bigger issues are paid more attention too.
        Politicians are the masters of sticking their feet in their collective mouths. Of course that's not the most important thing, but even so, when they say stupid things they should be called out for. But yes, I agree, there are more important issues.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        Is it a "stereotype" when people respond *exactly* as predicted?
        Calling people down South people who all stick to their guns and Bibles is not only sterotypical but actually rather offensive.
        My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
          That doesn't make it wrong. A stereotype isn't automatically wrong, because it's propagated so much, but because it's either factually correct or incorrect. Small towns are generally higher in church attendance, due to the more aged population, who tend to be more religious than the younger population. Gun ownership is more prevalent in rural areas than urban areas, and even in Britain this is obvious.
          True, but by phrasing it the way he did he's essentially calling them gun-crazy Bible hillbillies. There are less offensive ways of saying what he's trying to say.
          My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

True, but by phrasing it the way he did he's essentially calling them gun-crazy Bible hillbillies. There are less offensive ways of saying what he's trying to say.
            True, but saying "The average rural American buys vociferously in the arms market, and receives a tax deduction for giving to a religious charity of their choosing, most particularly of Baptist or Lutheran Christianity" doesn't have enough...bite.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

True, but saying "The average rural American buys vociferously in the arms market, and receives a tax deduction for giving to a religious charity of their choosing, most particularly of Baptist or Lutheran Christianity" doesn't have enough...bite.
              Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............Now you have wetted my appetite.

Careful, you are on a slippery slope. Do you want the little errors to be let to slide or not? You are now basically saying you think he did do it to be insulting. That is a whole different animal than a slip of the tongue.

There are all sorts of discrimination. It is not just about Race, Sex and Color. There is also age, weight, and class discrimination. Do you think it was an honest faux pas or do you think it was intentional?
              Posting at.............
              http://godus.boards.net/

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............Now you have wetted my appetite.

Careful, you are on a slippery slope. Do you want the little errors to be let to slide or not? You are now basically saying you think he did do it to be insulting. That is a whole different animal than a slip of the tongue.

There are all sorts of discrimination. It is not just about Race, Sex and Color. There is also age, weight, and class discrimination. Do you think it was an honest faux pas or do you think it was intentional?
                To be clear, when I say "bite", I mean it to be...punchliney. However, that's a silly nonword, so I go with "bite". So, no, I am not basically saying that he did it to be insulting.

sigpic

Comment

To be clear, when I say "bite", I mean it to be...punchliney. However, that's a silly nonword, so I go with "bite". So, no, I am not basically saying that he did it to be insulting.
                  Okay. Fair enough. If he did, that would be wrong. If he did not, it is a non issue to me. Let us just agree that, that PR person should be fired along with Christine O'Donnell's and Newt Gingrich's and while we are at it.....Charlie Sheen's. LOL.
                  Posting at.............

Comment

Okay. Fair enough. If he did, that would be wrong. If he did not, it is a non issue to me. Let us just agree that, that PR person should be fired along with Christine O'Donnell's and Newt Gingrich's and while we are at it.....Charlie Sheen's. LOL.
                    I am not a witch.

Ahh, thank God Bill Maher for Bill Maher

sigpic

Comment

I mean, she kicked that Rhino Castle's A@$ and then that frakin worst yet seen DE PR just killed her. I went and saw Rush Limbaugh humping for her in Kimmel Center right before that. She would have won.

Fire that PR person? Heck, they should be shot............and now we are back to gun control.............Bwhahahahahahahahahahha.
                      Posting at.............

Comment

Calling people down South people who all stick to their guns and Bibles is not only sterotypical but actually rather offensive.

Well, as I do not live in the US, I won't even try to back it up in the US.
                        HOWEVER.
                        IF the majority conform to the "basic tennants" of the observation, no matter where it is, it is a self inflicted stereotype, and you have no reason to compain. Where the diffence lies is in being able to *remove* the stereotype when dealing with an *Individual*, as opposed to a *group*.
                        sigpic

Comment

HOWEVER.
                          IF the majority conform to the "basic tennants" of the observation, no matter where it is, it is a self inflicted stereotype, and you have no reason to compain. Where the diffence lies is in being able to *remove* the stereotype when dealing with an *Individual*, as opposed to a *group*.
                          Actually the point is, was it an honest faux pas or done as an intentional slur to make those appear less intelliegent and at the same time show your true discrimination for them? I take LOS at his word to say it was not intentional.

If it had been intentional it would be no different than saying the African Americans are too busy at KFC, the Italians are too busy knocking each other off or eating pasta or the Jewish are too busy pinching pennies to be bothered to know the real issues and be unbias. Those would be completely offensive and rightfully so. It is not a self inflicted stereotype, it is their religion.
                          Posting at.............

Comment

HOWEVER.
                            I highly doubt that most people in the south have guns and bibles. That's just like saying everyone in Texas wears a cowboy hat, boots, rides a horse, and has an oil derrick in their back yard.
                            sigpic

Comment

Actually the point is, was it an honest faux pas or done as an intentional slur to make those appear less intelliegent and at the same time show your true discrimination for them? I take LOS at his word to say it was not intentional.

If it had been intentional it would be no different than saying the African Americans are too busy at KFC, the Italians are too busy knocking each other off or eating pasta or the Jewish are too busy pinching pennies to be bothered to know the real issues and be unbias. Those would be completely offensive and rightfully so. It is not a self inflicted stereotype, it is their religion.
                              Jews don't pinch pennies; they're moneylenders (Shylock, the stereotypical Jew). They're good with money, but it doesn't mean that they hoard it all in a vault and keep it there.

That would be the Dutch.

<- Is of Dutch descent.

sigpic

Comment

Complain all you wish, IF *NOTE THE IF* the majority of any of these groups is doing the stereotype, then the stereotype holds true, if not, it is unfair, I agree.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X