This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
    Abstinence is not an education on the subject, its a lifestyle choice. And man made contraceptives work just fine, when people are educated on the subject.

And banning people from doing something also has a nasty habbit of comming back and biting one in the bum.

Not really when she is talking about education. Wich is something that happens in school, where kids go.

But the majority do do it, and would benifit from education on the subject.
    *reads MGs post...reads it again* He is advocating banning something*

40 year olds going back to college are kids?

I for one am really curious to see your data on this specific subject at hand. And yes, knowledge is power and all that jazz but in the end what we are doing is saying to kids and people, yeah go have sex its perfectly ok and here is this wonderful safety net for you to utilize...that does not work one hundred percent of the time. And even having in some cases that safety net being handed out to kids...actual kids this time. What we should be doing is teaching people to be responsible adults. To be in control of their bodies, their minds, and their situations. To treat Sex as what it is, a wonderful gift, not something to be feared but something to be respected. And oh yes though the consquences for abusing sex can be quite fearsome to behold.

Comment

Abstinence is not an education on the subject, its a lifestyle choice. And man made contraceptives work just fine, when people are educated on the subject.

And banning people from doing something also has a nasty habbit of comming back and biting one in the bum.

Not really when she is talking about education. Wich is something that happens in school, where kids go.

But the majority do do it, and would benifit from education on the subject.
      and it's a lifestyle choice that quite frankly is sorely needing to be practiced.....you seem to think it an absolute certainty that everyone is just gonna have sex at some point....well then someone explain to me how it is that we have priests and deacons who are capable of adhering to a vow of celibacy (the rare child molester notwithstanding)? that tells me that we as humans do have the ability to control ourselves but we just need a little help learning how....better to teach them how to control themselves than to put their faith in some inanimate object in the false hope that somehow you can prevent the consequences of not controlling yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
        *reads Joe's post...reads it again* He is advocating banning something*

40 year olds going back to college are kids?
        I said school, not college.

I for one am really curious to see your data on this specific subject at hand.
        My data is the fact that the Earth didnt become over populated because a minority of people had thousands of kids.

And yes, knowledge is power and all that jazz but in the end what we are doing is saying to kids and people, yeah go have sex its perfectly ok and here is this wonderful safety net for you to utilize...that does not work one hundred percent of the time.
        Sex is perfectly ok.
        Nobody is saying they are successfull 100% of the time. Thats where education comes in.

What we should be doing is teaching people to be responsible adults. To be in control of their bodies, their minds, and their situations. To treat Sex as what it is, a wonderful gift, not something to be feared but something to be respected. And oh yes though the consquences for abusing sex can be quite fearsome to behold.
        Teaching respect, responsibility, caution and about the consiquences would be part of the education.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
          and it's a lifestyle choice that quite frankly is sorely needing to be practiced.....you seem to think it an absolute certainty that everyone is just gonna have sex at some point....well then someone explain to me how it is that we have priests and deacons who are capable of adhering to a vow of celibacy (the rare child molester notwithstanding)? that tells me that we as humans do have the ability to control ourselves but we just need a little help learning how....better to teach them how to control themselves than to put their faith in some inanimate object in the false hope that somehow you can prevent the consequences of not controlling yourself
          Im not saying everybody will have sex. I said (clearly in my posts) that the majority of people will have sex at some point.
          sigpic

Comment

I said school, not college.

My data is the fact that the Earth didnt become over populated because a minority of people had thousands of kids.

Sex is perfectly ok.
            Nobody is saying they are successfull 100% of the time. Thats where education comes in.

Teaching respect, responsibility, caution and about the consiquences would be part of the education.
            College is school. See how confusing these dagnabbit terms can be.

Thats your data huh?

Sex is not perfectly OK or perfectly not OK...it just is. It is how you use it and why you use it. Like most things in life.

indeed.

Comment

College is school. See how confusing these dagnabbit terms can be.

Thats your data huh?

Sex is not perfectly OK or perfectly not OK...it just is. It is how you use it and why you use it. Like most things in life.

indeed.
              No, not really. College is a choice you make after school.

Sex is perfectly ok, fine and natural, but lack of education leads to problems. Like with most things.
              sigpic

Comment

Sex is perfectly ok, fine and natural.
                I have heard Colleges referred to as Schools...quite often.

Then how can you get STDs, diseases, infections, life altering, changing, and damaging things from it? Or unwanted pregnancies for that matter?

Comment

I have heard Colleges referred to as Schools...quite often.

Then how can you get STDs, diseases, infections, life altering, changing, and damaging things from it? Or unwanted pregnancies for that matter?
                  Doesnt make them so

Read the edit to my post
                  Sex is perfectly ok, fine and natural, but lack of education leads to problems. Like with most things.
                  sigpic

Comment

Doesnt make them so

Read the edit to my post
                    That has to do with a point of view.

Ah...indeed.

Comment

Let me ask this question: Why should we control ourselves? I'm not saying that it's okay to go humping everything that breathes, but if you love someone it is perfectly okay to have sex with each other. It doesn't matter if you're fifteen or fifty, there's nothing weird about it.

When it comes down to education it is important to inform all kids about the consequences of sex (including STDs and pregnancies, etc.), all of the contraceptives (including pros and cons, as well as their success rate) and stress that sex is something that is not to be taken lightly.
                      sigpic

Comment

what i mean is that kids....young adults grow up.

I'm an adult...teenagers are kids to me, always will be

There are a lot of people that do not have sex until they are married. There are people that never marry and perhaps never have sex. And there are others that are sexually active their whole lives.

My point was, going by by the burgeoning population of this country and planet that a majority of adults have sex and procreate. They should be given the knowledge to make informed decisions about that action. So that they know what they're doing and know what they're getting into.

So that they know the difference between different acts, the risks involved and how to do it safely.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

yeah it's all well and good...when used in the proper context

here's why I think we're seeing so much sex out of wedlock....we have an old cliche that says if you repeat a lie often enough people begin to accept it as truth

people have been lied to for so long.....told that the ability to control ourselves is simply not in our nature (never mind the fact that they were essentially told that human beings do not have rational minds since since the ability to control yourself is the fruit of having a rational nature)...they were lied to for so long that they began to believe it...it's like saying "well people are gonna rob a bank anyway might as well give them a loaded gun to do it with and tell the people not to resist"...a very apropos metaphor considering that a person hellbent on having sex outside of wedlock is essentially out to rob the other person of their virginity

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            what i mean is that kids....young adults grow up.

I'm an adult...teenagers are kids to me, always will be

There are a lot of people that do not have sex until they are married. There are people that never marry and perhaps never have sex. And there are others that are sexually active their whole lives.

My point was, going by by the burgeoning population of this country and planet that a majority of adults have sex and procreate. They should be given the knowledge to make informed decisions about that action. So that they know what they're doing and know what they're getting into.

So that they know the difference between different acts, the risks involved and how to do it safely.
                            Indeed. As long as we are encouraging them to make informed descisions.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                              yeah it's all well and good...when used in the proper context

here's why I think we're seeing so much sex out of wedlock....we have an old cliche that says if you repeat a lie often enough people begin to accept it as truth

people have been lied to for so long.....told that the ability to control ourselves is simply not in our nature (never mind the fact that they were essentially told that human beings do not have rational minds since since the ability to control yourself is the fruit of having a rational nature)...they were lied to for so long that they began to believe it...it's like saying "well people are gonna rob a bank anyway might as well give them a loaded gun to do it with and tell the people not to resist"...a very apropos metaphor considering that a person hellbent on having sex outside of wedlock is essentially out to rob the other person of their virginity
                              As Sky just pointed out, not everyone is going to or wants to get married.

And not resisting an armed robber is very good advice.
                              sigpic

Comment

And not resisting an armed robber is very good advice.
                                Indeed. If someone asks you for your wallet/etc at gunpoint... what do you think I would do?

A: Give him/her what he/she wants.
                                B: Attempt to disarm the said robber.

A is the more logical choice, it has better odds for one's own survival.
                                sigpic
                                Don't touch Lola

Comment

Working...
                                X