X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
    Federally speaking?

And yes like those, but different. And I have also heard the opposing side to this too.
    Locally and at the state level, definitely. At the federal level... we could go round robin all day on how effective that would be, so let's not bother. But in general, the penalties for drunk driving are so weak it's laughable.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Oh and I think it would be appropriate to congratulate General Petreus for his new posting. This is going to lead to loads of interesting new tidbits in years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        Locally and at the state level, definitely. At the federal level... we could go round robin all day on how effective that would be, so let's not bother. But in general, the penalties for drunk driving are so weak it's laughable.
        Probably. I will be honest its not something I have looked at too closely and I think part of the law as it stands now is ridiculous and silly.

And Federally, if it should be done, needs to be done very specifically. Like with a scalpel, like with a laser scalpel. Because the Constitution might give the Fed some authority in this matter with inter state transportation and commerce. But then it can only be done on those areas.

Comment

Im all for legalization but I would settle for decriminalization. The thing is that Weed as far as drugs go is pretty harmless and arguably less dangers then Alcohol. I saw we legalize it so we can tax the crap out of it to help recover the economy, hopefully stop drug cartels control over Mexico, and make food taste better. We put the legal age at 21.

Comment

Alcohol is one of the most dangerous recreational drugs there are, you'd struggle to find many independent studies that find that it is less dangerous than ecstasy or speed, let alone cannabis.

Also, anyone hesitant about decriminalization should look at Portugal's system, which has been a resounding success. It's insane that everyone isn't copying them, but then I suppose politicians live and die by public opinion, so I suppose we only have ourselves to blame.
            Last edited by KEK; 28 April 2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I'm all for decriminalising drugs and prostitution, especially the latter. If prostitution were legal it would take business away from criminals and make business safer for everyone involved.
              sigpic
              http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
              http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Actually there are recent studies within the last couple of years that suggest that heavy pot smoking does cause things like psychosis.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/n...hotic-symptoms

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                  Alcohol is one of the most dangerous recreational drugs there are, you'd struggle to find many independent studies that find that it is less dangerous than ecstasy or speed, let alone cannabis.

Also, anyone hesitant about decriminalization should look at Portugal's system, which has been a resounding success. It's insane that everyone isn't copying them, but then I suppose politicians live and die by public opinion, so I suppose we only have ourselves to blame.
                  Portugal has seen a 35% increase in drug related deaths in the last few years. I'd hardly call that a resounding success.

And according to reports like this, http://www.wfad.se/latest-news/1-art...dont-follow-us
                  drug related homicides and general drug use has increased in Portugal in the last few years as well.

I'm partly just throwing this in the ring to play devil's advocate, I don't personally believe decriminalisation of drugs will lead to the end of civilisation and whatnot, but neither has it been shown in Portugal to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
                    Im all for legalization but I would settle for decriminalization. The thing is that Weed as far as drugs go is pretty harmless and arguably less dangers then Alcohol. I saw we legalize it so we can tax the crap out of it to help recover the economy, hopefully stop drug cartels control over Mexico, and make food taste better. We put the legal age at 21.
                    I wouldn't want it in my food though.....most food tastes good enough on its own...and I don't want any hallucinogens forcing me to like a food I simply don't like

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                      I'm all for decriminalising drugs and prostitution, especially the latter. If prostitution were legal it would take business away from criminals and make business safer for everyone involved.
                      for prostitution I'd agree if it could serve a non-criminal purpose.....it does not...all it does is make slaves out of both men and women

and that is a crime most heinous indeed, the institution of slavery

and there's a direct effect on society of encouraging the abuse of the marital act....here in the states we have more deadbeat fathers than ever before and even a fair share of deadbeat mothers....divorce rate is sky-high....in short our permissiveness of such abuses has led to an exponentially growing number of people not using the act in the way it was designed to be used....we as a society are losing our ability to truly love one another as we ought

Comment

Well, I don't agree. because the truth of the matter is, if there is no incentive to behave and value human life, people just won't. The Milgram experiments are a great illustration of that.

Comment

and maybe we should exercise a few moral obligations of our own......like helping people trapped in slavery to prostitution get the skills and education they need to find honest jobs thereby helping them to obtain for themselves a high sense of dignity and self-worth

but I suppose you have a point....behave in accordance with the law or get punished is no longer a good enough incentive for behaving.....

Comment

keeping prostitution illegal would force those who slave for this industry to g oout and do what they have to to make a better life for themselves...to live a life better than slavery

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                              Portugal has seen a 35% increase in drug related deaths in the last few years. I'd hardly call that a resounding success.

And according to reports like this, http://www.wfad.se/latest-news/1-art...dont-follow-us
                              drug related homicides and general drug use has increased in Portugal in the last few years as well.

I'm partly just throwing this in the ring to play devil's advocate, I don't personally believe decriminalisation of drugs will lead to the end of civilisation and whatnot, but neither has it been shown in Portugal to be successful.
                              Consider the possibility that the "World Federation Against Drugs" may be slightly biased

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                                for prostitution I'd agree if it could serve a non-criminal purpose.....it does not...all it does is make slaves out of both men and women
                                How so? Sex workers are paid professionals in the service sector like any others. In licensed brothels in the US for example, they're not even under any obligation to have sex with any customer, they can pick and choose, and get well paid for it too. I think there's a belief out there that the only people who get in the industry are those who can't find any other job, or those how have little self worth, while it really isn't true.

Comment

Working...
                                X