• Show
Clear All

People still watch the news?
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      People still watch the news?
      Jel, there is a WORLD of difference between the 24/7 BS cycle that you guys have to deal with in the US and the news you get out here and say, Canada.
      Your news stations have failed you, horribly by becoming talking heads for the re-puke's (FOX) and the Lib-tards (MSNBC).

The 24/7 news cycle has DESTROYED actual journalism, but you know this already.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        Our local news is craptastic with international affairs Coco. Hell, we have been engaged in active warzones for HOW long now, and how much coverage does it get??
        Unless it's troops going out, coming home or receiving a (well-earned) VC, we just don't talk about it that much.

Don't get me wrong, I like our news, but we really need a good international news program. Just a half hour spot, not a monster that can turn into talking heads (a-la the sunrise/morning show combo)

That's why I watch stations like the ABC and SBS because they focus on things in the world...... But I'm not a news junkie hehe..

I do like the weather presenters 10 has had on the weekend. I miss Magdelana Roze.. She was kind of pretty but has turned herself into a stick figure...... But she has a degree in meteorology and that is good... They replaced her with a brunette Amanda.....

I like Samantha Armytage and Melissa Doyle.......

And there ends my superfluous post of the day.
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

The West will do nothing to Russia, it'll be South Ossetia all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
            The West will do nothing to Russia, it'll be South Ossetia all over again.
            I have been wondering this..........

If the West does nothing will China then act and fully take over Taiwan?

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
              I have been wondering this..........

If the West does nothing will China then act and fully take over Taiwan?
              If Russia and China choose to act in concert, then that a good possibility.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                If Russia and China choose to act in concert, then that a good possibility.
                It would be messy

Comment

China's support for Russia has been meek at best. I don't think they like what they're doing, but don't want to jeopardise relations either. The West should just bite the bullet and impose sanctions, even if they hurt us short term, it'll be worth it to nip this in the bud.

Comment

Russia has test fired an ICBM now too. I'm getting all misty eyed and nostalgic. It's just like old times!
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      China's support for Russia has been meek at best. I don't think they like what they're doing, but don't want to jeopardise relations either. The West should just bite the bullet and impose sanctions, even if they hurt us short term, it'll be worth it to nip this in the bud.
                      No one is going to impose any kind of real sanctions on Russia.

For one, the US is currently governed by a President who is determined to avoid the slightest whiff of confrontation with anyone except his own country's closest allies. Obama is a firm believer in the magic of diplomacy, while failing to understand how diplomacy actually works and what gives it any kind of real-world power. He resisted sanctions on Iran every step of the way and eventually allowed them to collapse for the sake of keeping Iran at the negotiation table; he resisted condemning Assad until he was the last world leader to not have condemned him, and then resisted taking things any further than a verbal condemnation. Having shown obvious and consistent weakness before Russia's proteges, Obama can hardly be expected to seriously take on Iran and Syria's vastly more powerful patron.

Europe could hurt Russia badly, but that would mean demolishing their just-beginning-to-recover economies. Any talk about sanctions on Russia comes from Euro-bureaucrats with no actual responsibility or power.

Here's how the EU - Russia economic relationship currently works: Russia sells Europe some $400 billion worth of gas, oil, metals and other raw materials per year. Out of that money earned by Russia, about $100 billion gets invested (legally or otherwise) in the West, mainly in the EU. Another $200 billion is spent on purchasing various products ranging from industrial machinery to consumer goods, food and medicine - again, mainly from the EU. Services economy adds another $100 billion to the cycle. Then there's Russian tourism, which is a huge cash cow for places like Cyprus. Can anyone see the EU picking a fight with its main economic growth engine?

The worst part is that almost 30% of Europe's natural gas consumption comes from Russian exports. 36% of all gas Germany burns is Russian gas; for Finland its a nice and round 100%. Due to the steadily rising energy prices Russia has enough cash reserves to actually sustain itself for a short while should it respond to hostile EU actions with a 1973-style energy embargo against Europe. Leave German, Italian and Finnish homes without heat in March weather, and see if any of their people care much about Ukraine's independence towards the end of the second week.

The most one can expect at this point is toothless "targeted sanctions" against a handful of Russian officials on the periphery of Putin's inner circle. Not too close to Putin himself, mind you.
                      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

What is interesting is some media outlets seem to be pushing for more NATO and US action. Is there an agenda being pushed here?

Comment

Well the military industrial complex is always looked for more ways to make money, though I'm not sure how much scope there is for that here. Arms for Ukraine perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                            What is interesting is some media outlets seem to be pushing for more NATO and US action. Is there an agenda being pushed here?
                            What kind of agenda?
                            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                              What kind of agenda?
                              Yes. The agenda is called War Footage = Ratings!!!!!
                              I like Sharky
                              sigpic

Comment

Putin wants to get "the most influential man in the world" designation. I don't think it truly matters to him just HOW he goes about it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X