This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    except that it's not her own body that she's harming...she's harming an innocent life.....natural law tells us that our existence begins when sperm meets egg....doesn't matter what stage of development you kill a human being at....murder is murder.....and medical ethics decree that any medical personnel must do everything in their power to care for BOTH mother AND child.....and that it's better that both die if everything medically possible has been done to save both lives rather than take upon ourselves the power to decide who lives and who dies
    Explain how it is better that doctors allow two lives to die, rather than just one.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
      Explain how it is better that doctors allow two lives to die, rather than just one.
      Insane troll logic?

Comment

it's more Prolife

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          Insane troll logic?
          No, actually, I'm quite interested. If you are truly "pro-life" (more on that ridiculous term in a second), then you would want to save as many lives as possible.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
          it's more Prolife
          Nothing against you, but that term, to be frank, is insulting, degrading, and utterly misleading. If you have two main sides to an argument, and one refers to themselves as "pro-life", what is the natural opposite to that? Anti-life. Now, most people do know that the other side of the argument is called being "pro-choice" (which is a fair term, as so-called "pro-lifers" wish to remove the choice of having an abortion or not), but practically everyone on Earth is "pro-life" (save the suicidal people). No one likes the idea of an abortion. Find me a rational person that does, and you'll be dividing by zero. If it could be avoided, it would be wonderful. However, abortions are necessary. An ugly fact of life. If women want to have an abortion, they won't care if it's illegal or not. If it wasn't for the clinics, we would be back to coat hangers and pencils done in back alleys, or in shadow clinics. Which is why it MUST be legal to have an abortion in any country that cares about its people. /rant

Anyone want to refute what I've said?
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Nothing against you, but that term, to be frank, is insulting, degrading, and utterly misleading. If you have two main sides to an argument, and one refers to themselves as "pro-life", what is the natural opposite to that? Anti-life. Now, most people do know that the other side of the argument is called being "pro-choice" (which is a fair term, as so-called "pro-lifers" wish to remove the choice of having an abortion or not), but practically everyone on Earth is "pro-life" (save the suicidal people). No one likes the idea of an abortion. Find me a rational person that does, and you'll be dividing by zero. If it could be avoided, it would be wonderful. However, abortions are necessary. An ugly fact of life. If women want to have an abortion, they won't care if it's illegal or not. If it wasn't for the clinics, we would be back to coat hangers and pencils done in back alleys, or in shadow clinics. Which is why it MUST be legal to have an abortion in any country that cares about its people. /rant

Anyone want to refute what I've said?
            http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

Comment

*picks up [/sarcasm] tag that SoulReaver dropped a little way back, and goes looking for a nail*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
              sigpic
              now also appearing on DeviantArt
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I know. It wasn't a rant at you, but more at the term.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry Hannah, I was hoping for specific extremes to pop and oh look, they have. Also, wanted to see what happens.

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  Why not? Women's right to her body trumps any onlooker's religious objections.

/debate
                  It's more complicated than that. So using your idea of women's right to body trumps religious objection, a woman can hypothetically get pregnant over and over again and get an abortion a month before birth, and it'd be ok? Fetuses have brain activity some time in the during the 2nd to 3rd trimester. And arguably, pain receptors. When people get an abortion, it's not exactly a joy ride. Babies undergo convulsions when it is terminated with the saline solution taking about three hours to die.

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                  except that it's not her own body that she's harming...she's harming an innocent life.....natural law tells us that our existence begins when sperm meets egg....doesn't matter what stage of development you kill a human being at....murder is murder.....and medical ethics decree that any medical personnel must do everything in their power to care for BOTH mother AND child.....and that it's better that both die if everything medically possible has been done to save both lives rather than take upon ourselves the power to decide who lives and who dies
                  So you're arguing that a murder is a murder regardless of stage of development and encompassing the term of 'human being'? So it's all equal eh? Killing an adult is the same thing as killing an infant? Killing a zygote is the same thing as killing an adult and an infant? They're on the same level? So morally, when a couple fertilize eggs and implant them, and many of them do not come to full conception, that's constituted as murder?

You're not giving any room for discrepancy and arguing that they are already 'human' even in early stages of conception, that's very illogical. If they were human then, we should extend the same rights that we do to humans regardless of age? There's a lot of illogical consequences that follow from that kind of reasoning.

In my class, that's the potentiality argument, your argument. Goes something like: A single celled organism should have the right to life because it is going to possibly become a human in the future. Even more generally: X has the potential to be A, so X should have the rights of A. One simple counterargument to such reasoning is: Prince Charles has the potential to be king, so Prince Charles should have the rights of a king.

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                  Insane troll logic?
                  I may disagree with gater but no need to insult the guy/girl. Only insults yourself man.

Comment

I know. It wasn't a rant at you, but more at the term.
                    you should've clarified -_-

Originally posted by jmoz View Post

It's more complicated than that. So using your idea of women's right to body trumps religious objection, a woman can hypothetically get pregnant over and over again and get an abortion a month before birth, and it'd be ok?
                    [IMO] at that point it can be considered wrong - outside health concerns of course - so making it illegal would be acceptable (not that I'd be a staunch militant for such laws)
                    however even in such cases the woman who seeks the operation/performs it herself should not be held criminally liable, only the doctor who does it (if the woman is also punished then this opens a whole new can o worms anyway) [/IMO]
                    Last edited by SoulReaver; 25 February 2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

You mean in the hypothetical situation, the woman should not be held accountable? Disregarding health and other special cases.

Comment

nope

Comment

Why not? That's like punishing the guy who transports the drugs, but not the one who supplies them in the first place.

Comment

dubious analogy. at best in this here case it'd be more like punishing the supplier, I mean the father. lol

now for one that holds water, it's like punishing the guy who takes the drugs, and even then, only assuming he took them but didn't buy them

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                              dubious analogy. at best in this here case it'd be more like punishing the supplier, I mean the father. lol

now for one that holds water, it's like punishing the guy who takes the drugs, and even then, only assuming he took them but didn't buy them
                              Society does punish the guy who takes drugs though using your analogy. gotta go, will do a more complete reply later.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                                Society does punish the guy who takes drugs though using your analogy.
                                yeah well it shouldn't

Comment

Working...
                                X