• Time
  • Show
Clear All

True.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

‘Czech Republic is not Chechnya’

The Czech Republic’s ambassador to the United States addressed on Friday night what he described as a “most unfortunate misunderstanding” after it was revealed that the two Boston bombing suspects — Dzhokbar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev — were of Chechen origin. Ambassador Petr Gandalovi? released a statement clarifying that the Czech Republic, a US ally, and Chechnya are two very different entities:

“As more information on the origin of the alleged perpetrators is coming to light, I am concerned to note in the social media a most unfortunate misunderstanding in this respect. The Czech Republic and Chechnya are two very different entities – the Czech Republic is a Central European country; Chechnya is a part of the Russian Federation,” the statement read.

“As the President of the Czech Republic Miloš Zeman noted in his message to President Obama, the Czech Republic is an active and reliable partner of the United States in the fight against terrorism. We are determined to stand side by side with our allies in this respect, there is no doubt about that.”

The ambassador expressed shock at the tragedy that occurred in Boston adding that “it was a stark reminder of the fact that any of us could be a victim of senseless violence anywhere at any moment.”
      I'm speechless.
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I can't say I'm surprised, considering what American citizens have asked me in the past about certain country-related things.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          I can't say I'm surprised, considering what American citizens have asked me in the past about certain country-related things.
          I believe that could apply to citizens of other countries asking things of Americans also.
          no means no, and so does pepper spray
          Sig by The Carpenter
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
            I believe that could apply to citizens of other countries asking things of Americans also.
            It could very well be... but a little more attention during geography class or damn google it if you have to.

Comment

Agreed
              no means no, and so does pepper spray
              Sig by The Carpenter
              sigpic

Comment

I will admit that the world map has changes considerably since I was last in school,and in more ways then one.
                I like Sharky
                sigpic

Comment

Its Ukko and Jels fault
                  sigpic

Comment

Politics is just a game. The people who can understand the game and manipulate the best win. No wonder I like Game of thrones...lol. That aside I wonder what is going to happen when Medicare/SS eat up the majority of the budget. A decrease in military spending for the first time in like forever?
                    sigpic

Favorite quote:
                    McKay: You shot me!
                    Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                    Ronon: You shot me, too.
                    Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                      ‘Czech Republic is not Chechnya’

The Czech Republic’s ambassador to the United States addressed on Friday night what he described as a “most unfortunate misunderstanding” after it was revealed that the two Boston bombing suspects — Dzhokbar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev — were of Chechen origin. Ambassador Petr Gandalovi? released a statement clarifying that the Czech Republic, a US ally, and Chechnya are two very different entities:
                      I'm speechless.
                      Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      ... but a little more attention during geography class or damn google it if you have to.
                      Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                      I will admit that the world map has changes considerably since I was last in school,and in more ways then one.
                      Learning in school's Geography class is a good start.. so is googling the earth..

My grandma came from the Romanian, Hungary-Austria, slavic region. Czechoslovakia is now the Czech Republic. It was under USSR oppression, and has its own bloody war-torn history, but is miles away from Chechnya (which is not part of my family's ancestry---different regions completely).

BTW, anyone who has studied Dracula lore and intensely studied about the real Dracula should know Czechoslovakia is one of Romania's neighbors. If I remember correctly, part of Romania used to be Wallachia, which is where the real Vlad the Impaler (Dracul) lived. When I discovered some of my ancestors came from that region, it was like -- oh my!! Is that why I watched Dark Shadows on Tv? because vampire lore is literally in my DNA? scary stuff there! Not something our family thinks about----ever.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                        Learning in school's Geography class is a good start.. so is googling the earth..

My grandma came from the Romanian, Hungary-Austria, slavic region. Czechoslovakia is now the Czech Republic. It was under USSR oppression, and has its own bloody war-torn history, but is miles away from Chechnya (which is not part of my family's ancestry---different regions completely).

BTW, anyone who has studied Dracula lore and intensely studied about the real Dracula should know Czechoslovakia is one of Romania's neighbors. If I remember correctly, part of Romania used to be Wallachia, which is where the real Vlad the Impaler (Dracul) lived. When I discovered some of my ancestors came from that region, it was like -- oh my!! Is that why I watched Dark Shadows on Tv? because vampire lore is literally in my DNA? scary stuff there! Not something our family thinks about----ever.
                        You have just as much chance of being Romani SGalissa
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          You have just as much chance of being Romani SGalissa
                          ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe!! LOL.
                          well, I don't think there's any Swiss cheese in there..
                          just Heinz varieties (indo-European, some Russian...hmmm--salad dressing? plus a few others... Native American Indian).

EDIT-- btw, you were referring to cheese (& foods), right?
                          I thought maybe I misread *cheese* in there at a quick glance, but if yes, shouldn't that be Romano (cheese) instead? I do like Italian foods and dressings (even tho I'm not Italian). I'm not into Russian salad dressings, either.. also, had to take a quick study in school for the Russian language (it was a required study class).. couldn't grasp the language, so I studied Spanish in the next year instead, because it was much easier!
                          Last edited by SGalisa; 21 April 2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                            ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe!! LOL.
                            well, I don't think there's any Swiss cheese in there..
                            just Heinz varieties (indo-European, some Russian...hmmm--salad dressing? plus a few others... Native American Indian).

EDIT-- btw, you were referring to cheese (& foods), right?
                            I thought maybe I misread *cheese* in there at a quick glance, but if yes, shouldn't that be Romano (cheese) instead? I do like Italian foods and dressings (even tho I'm not Italian). I'm not into Russian salad dressings, either.. also, had to take a quick study in school for the Russian language (it was a required study class).. couldn't grasp the language, so I studied Spanish in the next year instead, because it was much easier!
                            I believe he was referring to the ethnic group also known as "Gypsies." Which is a good thing you made your edit too, lest one gets the wrong impression with your response
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                              I believe he was referring to the ethnic group also known as "Gypsies." Which is a good thing you made your edit too, lest one gets the wrong impression with your response
                              Thanks for the possible clarification.
                              but -- Nah, no gypsie in there.
                              Just some Polish, Irish, and Native American Indian that has been traced on my mom's side.

Scary enough having some Russian ancestry probably dating back to the 1800's and earlier centuries. I think it's just over the (western Russian) border area on the Austria-Hungary, Czechoslovakia/slavic regions.

Most folks didn't migrate in those days too far from their birth origin roots. I do know that my grandfather came to America first to settle in (as a citizen), get a job, find a home; and then he went back to bring his bride (my grandma) over here. They left to get away from the oppression and WWI era of living conditions over there. That's going waaaaaaaaay back.

Anyone who has visited Ellis Island can get a glimpse of how horrible moving across the ocean(s) were in those early WWI, etc, years. Horrible conditions. I cried reading some of the history notes on the plaques. Anyone even with the common cold or heart condition, etc., often got sent back to their country of origin, thus it broke up many families across the ocean.

On the lighter side.. wondered if my lack of having a short-term memory was due to Swiss cheesed brain cells.. the info falls thru too many holes to stay put. Had a dandy of a time taking school tests because of lacking a short-term memory (it's *never* been there -- ever, so I can't blame AGE on lacking it! =). So, I can relate to kids who have difficulty studying (for those tests), because the info studied never stays in. I wish the medical world would realize this and recognize it as a possible DNA/gene scholastic problem. Maybe they can find the DNA gene to help kids born in the future gain/have BOTH short and long term memories..?

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                                Aretood is indeed correct
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X