Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing about the Constitution and legal documents in general is that they are open to multiple interpretations.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
      Yes, there is a semi-colon there. I used a period because I was only quoting that portion. Either way...states that impose bans on same sex unions are abridging the privileges of US citizens.
      Not really, they would fall under "due process of law" unfortunately.
      If you get a Federal ruling allowing all privilege and benefits to same sex couples, THEN states making their own laws would be seen as abridging peoples rights.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        If you get a Federal ruling allowing all privilege and benefits to same sex couples, THEN states making their own laws would be seen as abridging peoples rights.
        Then explain to me how African Americans used this amendment to get their rights?? It is the same thing.
        “The barometer of where one is on human rights question is no longer the black community, it’s the gay community. Because it is the community most easily mistreated.” Bayard Rustin '86

Mr. Rustin was highly active in the Civil Rights movement. He was not only an African American, he was also gay. You can see when someone is black, white, Hispanic, Asian, etc. You can't see when they're gay. Some may be obvious but most are not. African Americans used the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution to secure their rights...rights to vote...rights to use the same public facilities and services as white people...the right to be treated as more than second class citizens. And the last time I checked, there is nothing in the 14th Amendment specifying African American people...yet it worked to give them their rights. It is the Federal government that isn't protecting the rights of part of its citizenry. Its the Federal government allowing states to abridge the rights of US citizens by denying a sub-culture the same rights and privileges as the general population. So, as the video I posted earlier implies...it's time to step up!
        sigpic

Comment

Then explain to me how African Americans used this amendment to get their rights?? It is the same thing.
          “The barometer of where one is on human rights question is no longer the black community, it’s the gay community. Because it is the community most easily mistreated.” Bayard Rustin '86

Mr. Rustin was highly active in the Civil Rights movement. He was not only an African American, he was also gay. You can see when someone is black, white, Hispanic, Asian, etc. You can't see when they're gay. Some may be obvious but most are not. African Americans used the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution to secure their rights...rights to vote...rights to use the same public facilities and services as white people...the right to be treated as more than second class citizens. And the last time I checked, there is nothing in the 14th Amendment specifying African American people...yet it worked to give them their rights. It is the Federal government that isn't protecting the rights of part of its citizenry. Its the Federal government allowing states to abridge the rights of US citizens by denying a sub-culture the same rights and privileges as the general population. So, as the video I posted earlier implies...it's time to step up!
          Wouldn't that be more in accordance with the 15th Amendment?
          sigpic

Comment

That's the thing. The Government doesn't even have to recognize any marriage whatsoever. It's not part of the constitutional rights. However if it is recognized in some situations, the question is should it be limited? That's in essence what's going on. Not whether or not there's a violation of constitutional rights, but whether or not it should be limited to heterosexual unions versus it being inclusive of homosexual unions. I think Foley is of the opinion that marriage shouldn't even be recognized at all. His opinion is not in violation of anything in the constitution.

When it comes to things like discriminatory businesses and employers and free speech and assembly and voting, the constitution has much to say about those things. The founding fathers and the Congresses before the 1900's would never have imagined this debate existing at all. Which is why it's so hard to pick the right amendment. That's not to say you can't make an argument one way or the other. Just that this isn't the same kind of argument.

Right to vote wasn't not supported by the 14th amendment. That would be the 15th. Segregation was ended via the 14th amendment. Fun fact, LBJ who signed the Civil Rights act of 1964 was a teacher of a "Mexican" school in Texas. That court decision was tested to end segregation elsewhere. Enforcement required more than just a court victory, but this is source of the end of de jure segregation.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

No the 14th...I'm not talking about the right to vote. I'm talking about segregation. African Americans were denied their rights and used the 14th amendment to end segregation. This is applicable in the instance of the same-sex couples wanting the same rights and privileges as hetero couples. I did mention the right to vote in my posting, but the theme of the post was about being denied rights.
              sigpic

Comment

No the 14th...I'm not talking about the right to vote. I'm talking about segregation. African Americans were denied their rights and used the 14th amendment to end segregation. This is applicable in the instance of the same-sex couples wanting the same rights and privileges as hetero couples. I did mention the right to vote in my posting, but the theme of the post was about being denied rights.
                Let me ask the question then, WHAT rights are the LGBT community after? Don't wikki me up a list, tell us what rights YOU want.
                sigpic

Comment

The right to an equal marriage status as any straight couple?
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Marriage is never equal. Woman always telling the man what to do. How is that equal?
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Marriage is never equal. Woman always telling the man what to do. How is that equal?
                      Damn, that's right.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        The right to an equal marriage status as any straight couple?
                        But WHAT does that MEAN FH?

I mean, for ME, I think you should have the exact same *legal* rights and responsibilities as any hetero couple in the country you live in, but that's generally where I draw the line.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          it is equal - to servitude :/

ps. feminism [n] : gender equality - when it suits them

Comment

Nothing else is going on in the USA as far as politics goes, I guess. Nothing of any importance anyway.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                              Nothing else is going on in the USA as far as politics goes, I guess. Nothing of any importance anyway.
                              Would you like a nuke to go with your deadpan sarcasm??
                              sigpic

Comment

Would you like a nuke to go with your deadpan sarcasm??
                                I believe the North Koreans are taking care of that for me
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X