This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    if the religious after-school program though isn't forcing kids to participate and is just an optional after-school program that kids who are attending the school who might be religious might want to take part in and again is not forcing students to take part in the program then I don't see what the problem is
    If it's after-school, then by definition it has nothing to do with the school, does it? Ergo, since it's not a school activity, it's perfectly legal. But you're not allowed to run a religious programme during school hours, even if it's voluntary.
    My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
      If it's after-school, then by definition it has nothing to do with the school, does it? Ergo, since it's not a school activity, it's perfectly legal. But you're not allowed to run a religious programme during school hours, even if it's voluntary.
      I think MG was talking about use of school property, even after school here Goose.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        if the religious after-school program though isn't forcing kids to participate and is just an optional after-school program that kids who are attending the school who might be religious might want to take part in and again is not forcing students to take part in the program then I don't see what the problem is
        interesting. could you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
          interesting. could you elaborate on this?
          Schools, esp school halls are often used out here to hold religious services, they are also used as polling places as well. School halls are well build generally, so why not use them in thier "downtime" for community activities
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Schools, esp school halls are often used out here to hold religious services, they are also used as polling places as well. School halls are well build generally, so why not use them in thier "downtime" for community activities
            that's what I figured he meant. but MG's statement was too concise :/

Comment

So the Westboro Baptist Church (The "God Hates pretty much everything people) is saying they are going to come up here and picket.
              These people are also talking about how because their idea of religion is not universal is the reason this horrible event happened.

Comment

I think MG was talking about use of school property, even after school here Goose.
                You know, I don't actually know about that. I think you can hire out the school property for religious meetings; I don't see why you shouldn't be able to, to be honest. It's not using up school property during school hours, so I certainly don't have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                  Yes, because clearly these deaths are at the same level of the Utoya massacre, or Columbine. Guns kill at faster rates, and the faster the gun, the likelier the body count is higher.
                  13 people died at Columbine- well comparable to my example.

Obviously guns can kill at faster rates, but the type of weapon being used is not the root of the problem, that's my point. Had there been "only" 8 dead children in the Newtown massacre rather than 20, it would still have been a terrible tragedy. But that had they been killed with a butcher's cleaver like in China, no one would obscure the nature of the problem by blaming the knife.

The root of the problem is not guns. The root of the problem is why this kind of massacres happen in the first place.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
                    So the Westboro Baptist Church (The "God Hates pretty much everything people) is saying they are going to come up here and picket.
                    These people are also talking about how because their idea of religion is not universal is the reason this horrible event happened.
                    those idiots again...

when my mom dies I plan to see to it she gets a military service, as she's a vet, and if those blowhards show up they're gonna see how nasty I can get real damn quick

and yes that's what I meant....if a certain religiously oriented group wanted to hold an optional after school activity/program for like-minded people why shouldn't they be allowed to use school property for that? especially seeing as how they generally aren't likely gonna be trying to outright force people to join in the activity/program

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
                      http://www.examiner.com/article/conn...ning-to-picket

Wow, just wow.
                      sigpic

Comment

You know, I don't actually know about that. I think you can hire out the school property for religious meetings; I don't see why you shouldn't be able to, to be honest. It's not using up school property during school hours, so I certainly don't have a problem with it.
                        it just sounded like you were saying that no religious programs could be allowed at the school at all, even outside of school hours

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                          13 people died at Columbine- well comparable to my example.

Obviously guns can kill at faster rates, but the type of weapon being used is not the root of the problem, that's my point. Had there been "only" 8 dead children in the Newtown massacre rather than 20, it would still have been a terrible tragedy. But that had they been killed with a butcher's cleaver like in China, no one would obscure the nature of the problem by blaming the knife.

The root of the problem is not guns. The root of the problem is why this kind of massacres happen in the first place.
                          But sometimes you can't quantify crazy, what you can do is try to stop the crazies from getting guns.

Comment

Goose bud, I think this is what tripped people up
                            Originally posted by Goose
                            and religious organisations aren't allowed to use school property and time to organise any sort of praying.
                            If you skim that fast enough you may read it as "religious organizations aren't allowed to use school property at *any* time.
                            sigpic

Comment

Goose bud, I think this is what tripped people up

If you skim that fast enough you may read it as "religious organizations aren't allowed to use school property at *any* time.
                              Absolutely; it is rather ambiguously worded. I should've said that they're not allowed to use school property during the school day. Sorry for the confussion

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                                13 people died at Columbine- well comparable to my example

Obviously guns can kill at faster rates, but the type of weapon being used is not the root of the problem, that's my point. Had there been "only" 8 dead children in the Newtown massacre rather than 20, it would still have been a terrible tragedy.
                                Yup, it is no matter what.
                                But that had they been killed with a butcher's cleaver like in China, no one would obscure the nature of the problem by blaming the knife.
                                This is where you get the "design intent" factor involved Womble. A butchers cleaver is designed to cut meat, that is its design purpose. yes, it can be used to kill, so can a stick or a pillow, but that is not thier intent. A gun has but one purpose.
                                Yes, but until that is done, does it not make sense to limit in some way the ability of people inclined to do such things efficiently?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X