This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lunasera View Post
    I think it is you who don't understand the basics here. You are arguing that if you put a ball on a table between two people, one person with arms, and one person without arms, they still have the same chance at grabbing the ball. But for them to have equal opportunity at the ball, they clearly cannot be treated the same. If you don't understand this concept, you really can't have an intelligent conversation about equality.
    You're starting to catch on, aren't you?
    No, they are decidedly NOT equal. But society keeps passing laws that say we have to pretend that they are, doesn't it?

But you can't have it both ways. They either are equal, or they're not.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      You're starting to catch on, aren't you?
      No, they are decidedly NOT equal. But society keeps passing laws that say we have to pretend that they are, doesn't it?

But you can't have it both ways. They either are equal, or they're not.
      No, it keeps passing laws to make them more equal.
      What you do not understand is you are the guy with the arms.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
        I staunchly support Gender Equality

husband & wife should be equally entitled to the husband's opinion
        *After the sandwich has been served
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I think what pisses some people off, probably Annoyed and I'll include myself as well, is when you see some triggered non-binary, Apache helicopter self-identified, tranbisexual level 2 type of moron that flips out over an appellation at Starbucks and brings the case to SCOTUS.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            *After the sandwich has been served
            And the beer. Can 't forget the beer. After that, you can take the chains off of them.

Comment

I think what pisses some people off, probably Annoyed and I'll include myself as well, is when you see some triggered non-binary, Apache helicopter self-identified, tranbisexual level 2 type of moron that flips out over an appellation at Starbucks and brings the case to SCOTUS.
              Well, there's a distracting can of worms.
              sigpic

Comment

It needed to be said. Saw the Christmas song that was taken off the air lately? Because it had "baby" in the title... Seriously?

Edit: sry it's because of what the song talks about. It is a 73 years old song. It's a cultural thing. Please.
                Spoiler:

Comment

It needed to be said. Saw the Christmas song that was taken off the air lately? Because it had "baby" in the title... Seriously?

Edit: sry it's because of what the song talks about. It is a 73 years old song. It's a cultural thing. Please.
                  So why are SVU's bad if they are a cultural thing?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    So why are SVU's bad if they are a cultural thing?
                    Nice bait

So while we're at it, best if we get rid of all our ww2 history books because the addressed topic is too harsh for some poor souls ears.

Wanna keep going down that road?
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Nice bait
                      Not bait.
                      It's understanding the culture Vs the impact on others.
                      Look at what Annoyed says about the Confederate flag. His cultural touchstone is things like the Dukes of Hazzard, and under that viewpoint, there is nothing wrong with the confederate flag, it actually IS a symbol of rebellion against a repressive state.
                      However, there are far, far more people who view it as a symbol of the south who fought a war to maintain slavery.
                      His view is not wrong, it's just in a minority, and a minority that gets abused by people to cloak what the symbol stands for. To give my own example, to ME, a swastika is a symbol of good luck and protection, but to the greater audience, it's a symbol of repression, nationalism and violence. YET, people will say what I said about it being a sign of good luck while smirking behind their hands because it's a dodge to them.
                      I honestly believe that Annoyed believes in the Confederate flag the same way I view the swastika, he's not smirking behind a literal "false flag", it's what it represents to HIM. Where we differ is, I get the greater impact of that symbol and choose not to use it, and he wants to project his interpretation onto everything.
                      So while we're at it, best if we get rid of all our ww2 history books because the addressed topic is too harsh for some poor souls ears.
                      I'm not sure what you are getting at here.
                      Ignoring history because it's uncomfortable is a massive no-no for me, and it should be a massive no-no for society at large because to forget your mistakes makes you repeat them.
                      My SUV comment was about one thing only, CULTURE, and the notion of culture in a 70 year odd old song being cultural and somehow sacrosanct and relevant to today.
                      Wanna keep going down that road?
                      Sure, I can go down that road, but it's gonna be different from the road you are walking on.
                      sigpic

Comment

So, voter fraud is a thing when it doesn't exist, but when it is proven, the GOP shuts it's mouth?
                        https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/06/p...ion/index.html
                        That's more proven voter fraud than in all of US history, but it's ok, it was for the GOP.
                        God you people are PATHETIC.
                        sigpic

Comment

What song? Link please
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            My SUV comment was about one thing only, CULTURE, and the notion of culture in a 70 year odd old song being cultural and somehow sacrosanct and relevant to today.
                            They are banning a song because it is an inconvenience for certain people that believe it's offensive. Where does it stop? Close all strip clubs because it's offensive for women?

You took the SUV and stretched it so much it became a swatiska as I knew you would, hence bait. But okay you pulled me down the pit with you so let's go.

I don't give a flying unas that a crooked cross gives you luck, neither do I care what a religious idol means for a Muslim or Christian. It is your business, I respect that, you do whatever you please. There is one exception though.

Your culture becomes my problem when it affects me without my consent. Pollution from huge vehicles that most people do not use for work, simply as a daily driver, is my problem. Banning abortion because Christianity deems it an atrocity is wrong. Regulating belief is what this is, and politicians / corps cave in because of public pressure.

If you can't agree with this, I don't know what our talk about the meaning of metal music was about.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

You're talking about "Baby, it's Cold Outside", I presume. That's more about the #MeToo hypersensitivity, I think. The song's about a guy trying to convince his girl to stay the night 'cause the weather is lousy.

Comment

Your culture becomes my problem when it affects me without my consent. Pollution from huge vehicles that most people do not use for work, simply as a daily driver, is my problem. Banning abortion because Christianity deems it an atrocity is wrong. Regulating belief is what this is, and politicians / corps cave in because of public pressure.
                                See? You are trying to decide for me what I should value when it comes to selection of a personal vehicle. In your view, a large truck class is ok if the capacity is needed for work. But there are other considerations of value too. I drive an SUV, and I do need the towing capacity of it.

But even if I didn't need to tow, I would still choose this class of vehicle for safety reasons. A large, body-on-frame 4WD vehicle is inherently safer than a small car, and that is of great value to me.

You don't get to make that choice for me because you don't think that's a valuable consideration.

Comment

Working...
                                X