X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Let's revisit my previous comment...

Confirmed.

Not sure what relevance this has in the political thread. Generally speaking moms are always prioritized in a conjugal violence case, which is sad for many dads that are de-facto left apart from their child.

NOW that being said. This one case is classic US repression style right there. She goes to jail for 2.5 years for drug possession, which is absolutely ridiculous, and doesn't get to see her child because of this? Was she a dealer? No. Was she a smuggler? No. Did she kill someone? No. She had some dope on her, big deal. Instead of helping her (rehab, counselling, etc.) the state locks her up for 2.5 years, and guess what? She might come out of jail a criminal because that's what you need to become to survive.

US: Our prisons are overpopulated! Our criminals become hardened criminals when they leave jail!
    US *Jails someone for marijuana possession* *racial profiling and warning shots* *Jail a kid for drinking before 21*

This issue is much bigger than this case. Your entire custodial system needs a major reform. Repression, as proven time and time again, does NOT work. Rehabilitation is the only way to integrate these folks back into society.
    You missed the entire point. Since we are supposed to be a gender blind society, there should be no special treatment for either sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      You missed the entire point. Since we are supposed to be a gender blind society, there should be no special treatment for either sex.
      Gender equality is not about having the same exact rules for men and women.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

In the equality arena.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/w...in-prison.html

Excuse me? Aren't we supposed to be gender blind?

Or are we only supposed to make things easier for Women?

You can have equality, or you can have preferential treatment. But you can't have both.

And this applies to many more issues aside from women's equality.
        When did she say it would not be traumatic for fathers?
        Perhaps people would "get your point" if your source made the point you were trying to make?
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

This. The above argument is like saying Affirmative Action doesn't promote equality because of special treatment, but the argument is flawed because the playing field isn't even.
          sigpic
          signature art by lunasera

Comment

Originally posted by lunasera View Post
            This. The above argument is like saying Affirmative Action doesn't promote equality because of special treatment, but the argument is flawed because the playing field isn't even.
            You folks didn't do well in basic arithmetic, did you?

The = sign means that the items on either side of the sign are identical. If they're not, they're not equal. And I don't see how you can claim otherwise, unless your true intent is to give an advantage to one side or another.

But of course, self-deception is one of this society's most prominent features, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              When did she say it would not be traumatic for fathers?
              Perhaps people would "get your point" if your source made the point you were trying to make?
              The details of the article don't matter to my point. The topic doesn't have to be women. The point is that we are supposed to be gender/race/whatever-blind, We've passed many a law saying that, but everywhere you look there are state-sanctioned examples and people making suggestions that some people be treated differently based upon one thing or another.

Do you want equality, or do you not? This is a black and white question, no shades of grey or middle ground.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Let's use your logic Annoyed, why the hell don't men have access to abortion and pregnancy follow up services? Damn double standards, equality my ass.

Gender equality is about equality of opportunity in the social life and the workplace, amongst other things.

In French there is a difference, Égalité and Équité which makes this distinction. Also, the "mother" status has always been recognized in a court of law. Try again.
                  Spoiler:
                  I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by lunasera View Post
                    Exactly.
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Let's use your logic Annoyed, why the hell don't men have access to abortion and pregnancy follow up services? Damn double standards, equality my ass.

Gender equality is about equality of opportunity in the social life and the workplace, amongst other things.

In French there is a difference, Égalité and Équité which makes this distinction. Also, the "mother" status has always been recognized in a court of law. Try again.
                      The article he linked referred to "caregiver". Thing is most caregivers are the mothers.

I think we have chased down this distraction squirrel enough though.
                      sigpic

Comment

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/12/tru...aving-funeral/

Of course. He isn't the center of attention
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

You folks didn't do well in basic arithmetic, did you?

The = sign means that the items on either side of the sign are identical. If they're not, they're not equal. And I don't see how you can claim otherwise, unless your true intent is to give an advantage to one side or another.

But of course, self-deception is one of this society's most prominent features, isn't it?
                          I think it is you who don't understand the basics here. You are arguing that if you put a ball on a table between two people, one person with arms, and one person without arms, they still have the same chance at grabbing the ball. But for them to have equal opportunity at the ball, they clearly cannot be treated the same. If you don't understand this concept, you really can't have an intelligent conversation about equality.
                          sigpic
                          signature art by lunasera

Comment

No comment yet on the Australian encryption bill?

Annoyed? What do you think?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-...lance/10591944

Would Americans swallow this hook, line, and sinker?
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I staunchly support Gender Equality

husband & wife should be equally entitled to the husband's opinion

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                                I staunchly support Gender Equality

husband & wife should be equally entitled to the husband's opinion

Yet another reason why you will never land the Falcon of your dreams Soul
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X