X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    I am of two minds.

Mind number one, false accusations are not super rare, they are however uncommon and they don't happen equally in all circumstances. Think Emmit Till, the woman who accused that boy of hitting on her made it all up (she admitted it a decade or so ago). False accusations happen a lot when there is a social power disparity. Often the woman is white and the accused isn't, or rich and the accused is poor, is in a position of power or privilege over the accused. When Obama changed the rules for universities to expel people accused of rape or sexucal misconduct more easily, it turned out that minorities were being expelled many times more than white students.
    Here's a link about that situation involving race:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...policy/538974/

Thin there's the accusation against Azziz which is all too similar to the one I linked. White woman engages sexually with non-white man. Regrets doing it. Calls rape. Jim Crow all over again. This quote from the article is most poignant:

"Yet from the beginning, the administration’s efforts showed signs of overreach, and that overreach became more pronounced over time. By early 2014, the terminology used by the federal government to describe the two parties in still-unresolved sexual-assault cases had begun to change. The 2011 “Dear Colleague” letter had used the terms complainant (and sometimes alleged victim) and alleged perpetrator . But many subsequent federal documents described a complainant as a victim or a survivor, and the accused as a perpetrator."

So, in the speed to be "progressive" you often open the door for the vulnerable to be even more vulnerable. There's a reason why "due process" exists in the law and this showcases exactly why. Minority men are being shafted by this and it is white liberals who are too blind to see it as well as uninformed privileged others like Obama. So yeah, I was a bit happy with Davos making some changes in that area.

Mind number two:

10% of cases that make it to court turn out to be based on false accusations. Teenagers are more prone to false accusations by far than adults, unless the adults are pathological liars, habitual criminals (and I don't mean simple things like shoplifting). All of this is born out by statistics and studies. But to be clear, false accusations still happen a lot less than some men like to claim. It's just not super rare. It's still close to 10% which is still a low number. To be fair the lowest estimate is, however 2%. Take into account the fact that 63% of rapes go unreported...how much lower would that 2-10% be if all rapes were reported? And usually a rapist doesn't just rape once, or one person. If you rape once you are very likely to rape again. So when multiple accusers come up, that small percentage decreases dramatically.

Some links:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_..._on_false_rape
    https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/...-Reporting.pdf

It is rare for an adult woman to falsely accuse a man of equal or greater social standing than herself. And that is the case we have here. Kavanaugh is most certainly of greater social standing than the woman. There is also little for her to gain from it. So the chances of this being fake are extremely low. The details and statistics here make me doubt that Ford is lying.
    Until you throw the timing into it. She sat on it for 30+ years. Then Feinstein sat on it for 2 months.
    The Democrats certainly have something to gain, and for all we know, she's a dyed-in-wool liberal who stands to gain the satisfaction of blocking a 5-4 SCOTUS. Oh, and there is the complete lack of corroborating evidence, all we have is her word. Even her own memories of the incident are vague at best. The guy who she wanted to call as a corroborating witness denied it happened.

Nope, I don't buy it, or any of the other accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Until you throw the timing into it. She sat on it for 30+ years.
      maybe because she didn't know back then her aggressor intended to rise to a position where he'd be virtually untouchable for life
      last straw etc.

The Democrats certainly have something to gain, and for all we know, she's a dyed-in-wool liberal who stands to gain the satisfaction of blocking a 5-4 SCOTUS.
      lol

she's just a private citizen not a politician. she also got death threats

you're implying that...everyone has something to gain...from...doing what they do

that's some fooked up logic

Oh, and there is the complete lack of corroborating evidence, all we have is her word.
      again why is this only a problem now (rhetorical question of course)

Comment

Until you throw the timing into it. She sat on it for 30+ years. Then Feinstein sat on it for 2 months.
        The Democrats certainly have something to gain, and for all we know, she's a dyed-in-wool liberal who stands to gain the satisfaction of blocking a 5-4 SCOTUS. Oh, and there is the complete lack of corroborating evidence, all we have is her word. Even her own memories of the incident are vague at best. The guy who she wanted to call as a corroborating witness denied it happened.

Nope, I don't buy it, or any of the other accusations.
        You didn't seem to have a problem with Trump and his supporters digging up rape accusers against Bill Clinton back in 2016.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
          You didn't seem to have a problem with Trump and his supporters digging up rape accusers against Bill Clinton back in 2016.
          Double standards and hypocrisy is not one of them. Didn't you know that already?
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

It's only hypocrisy when people against Trump do it. #witch hunt
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

When can we get a rational right wing back Jel?
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                When can we get a rational right wing back Jel?
                Probably 8-12 years if the political cycle continues as past trends
                Jelgate is right

Comment

AnyoneTrump acolytes dare to comment on Kavanaugh's old buddy stating that he wasn't entirely truthful in his testimony? ----
                  Kavanaughty used to drink a LOT and OFTEN and that he became VIOLENT when he did

Could it be...
                  Spoiler:
                  I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Its all a scheme by the Democrats to discredit Kavanagh
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Its all a scheme by the Democrats to discredit Kavanagh
                      *a disgrace
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                        AnyoneTrump acolytes dare to comment on Kavanaugh's old buddy stating that he wasn't entirely truthful in his testimony? ----
                        Kavanaughty used to drink a LOT and OFTEN and that he became VIOLENT when he did

Could it be...
                        Did I or did I not predict that there would be all sorts of new crap being dug up as an excuse for further delays, in hopes of delaying till after the elections? This is all bogus and should be treated accordingly.
                        Flake was an idiot for knuckling under to those two women who accosted him in an elevator.

Comment

And we predicted you would reject any claim that paints Kavanagh in a negative light regardless if It's credible or not. I'll take my bacon cigar now GF
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Meanwhile, in the world beyond internal American squabbles, China is finding asymmetric new ways to push back against Trump's trade war and other policies:

China cancels US warship visit to Hong Kong amid military sanction backlash

Losing access to Hong Kong port is a pretty big deal.
                            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Did I or did I not predict that there would be (...)
                              You did predict it but the new info seems relevant to the case.

all sorts of new crap being dug up as an excuse for further delays, in hopes of delaying till after the elections?
                              Where I come from all the crap comes from the same ass.
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                                Meanwhile, in the world beyond internal American squabbles, China is finding asymmetric new ways to push back against Trump's trade war and other policies:

China cancels US warship visit to Hong Kong amid military sanction backlash

Losing access to Hong Kong port is a pretty big deal.
                                It is a big deal, but let's be real, China is no friend to the western countries / Europeans. Trump is just a pretext.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X