Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we should just have a flat percentage taxation rate...where everyone pays the same percentage rate (say 10% for example). This rate would apply whether you work part time, full time, own a small business, own a large corporation, etc. And the beauty of a flat percentage is that it's still "progressive" in that a part-time worker's 10% is still gonna be way smaller than a large corporation owner's 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Make up your mind, if you still have one with your TDS.

True, but is it "right?"
      Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
      It's a matter of opinion I guess, but it is absolutely unethical for me. A company has a moral responsibility to its country, I'm not saying that trying to make more profits is a bad thing. It becomes a bad thing to me when through shady tactics you succeed to evade most of the taxes and Billy Bobs have to compensate for it.

Billy Bob makes 50k a year, pays about half of it in taxes.
      Billy Bob Inc. makes 5 millions a year, pays about 100k in taxes because of fiscal advantages.

Companies are feeding off people's money, the richest entities of this world, and it is the people that are funding the country.

I don't think it is. I also think that capitalism and individualism culture is promoting this kind of behavior, which doesn't help either.
      See, I'm not talking about taxes when it comes to unethical behavior. I'm talking about financial chicanery and such, such as making real money from thin air via the wizards of wall street, which eventually has to come from somewhere, usually people far lower on the income scale in one way or another. That is just but one example. Lying, doubletalk and such is a required class in any business school as far as I can tell. That would be another.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        See, I'm not talking about taxes when it comes to unethical behavior. I'm talking about financial chicanery and such, such as making real money from thin air via the wizards of wall street (... 1/3)
        In that case, I'm not sure that unethical would be the right term. Immoral perhaps? But that's subjective and varies from person to person.

(...2/3)which eventually has to come from somewhere, usually people far lower on the income scale in one way or another
        No? The people who play the stock exchange game are in no shape or form financed by your taxes? They invest their own money, not yours.

(...3/3)Lying, doubletalk and such is a required class in any business school as far as I can tell. That would be another.
        Generalization. All politician lies, all police officers are corrupted, all immigrants are criminals... Seems like you're getting closer to become a Sith Lord. You're dealing in absolutes again Annoyed, tssk tssk.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          In that case, I'm not sure that unethical would be the right term. Immoral perhaps? But that's subjective and varies from person to person.

No? The people who play the stock exchange game are in no shape or form financed by your taxes? They invest their own money, not yours.

Generalization. All politician lies, all police officers are corrupted, all immigrants are criminals... Seems like you're getting closer to become a Sith Lord. You're dealing in absolutes again Annoyed, tssk tssk.
          Where did I say "All"? And I wasn't talking about Cops or Immigrants (legal, of course, illegals are breaking the law by entering or overstaying in the first place) at all.

What I'm saying is the the majority of rich folks get that way by ethically or morally questionable (and often outright illegal) means. And since you have to be rich to be a successful politician on the national or large state stage, the odds of such politicians engaging in financial chicanery is higher than the average population.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
            I think we should just have a flat percentage taxation rate...where everyone pays the same percentage rate (say 10% for example). This rate would apply whether you work part time, full time, own a small business, own a large corporation, etc. And the beauty of a flat percentage is that it's still "progressive" in that a part-time worker's 10% is still gonna be way smaller than a large corporation owner's 10%.
            Problem with this is that there is a bare minimum one has to earn in order to live. Someone who is making $35,000 cannot spare $3,500 without sacrificing something like heating in the winter or food. While someone who makes $10,000,000 wouldn't notice it when Uncle Sam takes $1,000,000. The rich guy would still be a multimillionaire.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
              Problem with this is that there is a bare minimum one has to earn in order to live. Someone who is making $35,000 cannot spare $3,500 without sacrificing something like heating in the winter or food. While someone who makes $10,000,000 wouldn't notice it when Uncle Sam takes $1,000,000. The rich guy would still be a multimillionaire.
              On the other hand, properly implemented, would eliminate an awful lot of loopholes for the rich and corporations, increasing the take from that segment considerably. Maybe the rate wouldn't have to be as high as 10%.

Comment

On the other hand, properly implemented, would eliminate an awful lot of loopholes for the rich and corporations, increasing the take from that segment considerably. Maybe the rate wouldn't have to be as high as 10%.
                Less than that and you'll see our debt grow exponentially.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                  Less than that and you'll see our debt grow exponentially.
                  This is going to sound rather irresponsible, and I really don't like this particuar fact, but we are already so far in the damned hole we will never be on even ground again. As a practical matter, the debt doesn't matter, 'cause it will never be paid off.

Comment

This is going to sound rather irresponsible, and I really don't like this particuar fact, but we are already so far in the damned hole we will never be on even ground again. As a practical matter, the debt doesn't matter, 'cause it will never be paid off.
                    We still have to pay the interest on that debt.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Speaking of money..………….
                      https://www.newyorker.com/news-desk/...rating-witness
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

OK what about local politics?

Anyone want to comment about what happened this week in Australia?
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Your understanding of economics is so poor it actually hurts a little.

As Tood observed, you pay interest on that debt. Currently 18% of your country's tax revenue. If you don't care whether it gets worse...

Also, you can't afford to default and just wipe the slate clean in a one-sided manner as it would drop the USA into the mother of all recessions a la 90-s Russia. Defaulting on state debt would mean foreign investors fleeing American market, cost of export/import business becoming prohibitive, USA being unable to raise money through government bonds for decades to come, and dollar losing enough value to wipe out the entire country's savings, pensions etc.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                            Your understanding of economics is so poor it actually hurts a little.

As Tood observed, you pay interest on that debt. Currently 18% of your country's tax revenue. If you don't care whether it gets worse...

Also, you can't afford to default and just wipe the slate clean in a one-sided manner as it would drop the USA into the mother of all recessions a la 90-s Russia. Defaulting on state debt would mean foreign investors fleeing American market, cost of export/import business becoming prohibitive, USA being unable to raise money through government bonds for decades to come, and dollar losing enough value to wipe out the entire country's savings, pensions etc.
                            I said it was going to be irresponsible, and that I didn't like the fact. But it is a fact that we have dug ourselves a hole we will never climb out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                              OK what about local politics?

Anyone want to comment about what happened this week in Australia?
                              I'm confused. According to what I read, Conservatives who call themselves Liberals won national elections and will be taking over management of the country.

I haven't said anything about it because I don't live there, and as such, I don't really know enough to figure out what I think about it.

Comment

I'm confused. According to what I read, Conservatives who call themselves Liberals won national elections and will be taking over management of the country.

I haven't said anything about it because I don't live there, and as such, I don't really know enough to figure out what I think about it.
                                Toilets flush in the opposite direction, they have Christmas in the summer and the right is liberal. What's there to get about the land down under?
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X