This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Personally, I don't like the nation's business being conducted via social networking. It is beneath the dignity of the office, in my opinion.
    But the old methods doesn't work when the mass media actively opposes this administration, or is so pro-active in promoting the prior administration, or the Democrats candidates such as Hillary.

The media is simply supposed to report the news, not attempt to alter it or control it.

So I can't really blame Trump for trying to bypass it to get his message out.

But why do YOU want to silence him? What's wrong with letting him have his say, and let everyone decide the value of what is said on their own? If you think he's an idiot and want to ignore whatever he says, fine that is your right. But you want to prevent others from hearing his message as well.

Why? What if Twitter was owned by people who backed Trump, and they banned Obama, Hillary or the Democrats in general? Same thing you're proposing, but in reverse. You still think it's a good idea?
    If Obama or Hillary acted like trump, then they too should get banned.
    It has nothing to do with partisanship, stop thinking that it is.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Sometimes I think Annoyed is incapable of seeing anything beyond political reasons
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Personally, I don't like the nation's business being conducted via social networking. It is beneath the dignity of the office, in my opinion.
        But the old methods doesn't work when the mass media actively opposes this administration, or is so pro-active in promoting the prior administration, or the Democrats candidates such as Hillary.

The media is simply supposed to report the news, not attempt to alter it or control it.

So I can't really blame Trump for trying to bypass it to get his message out.

But why do YOU want to silence him? What's wrong with letting him have his say, and let everyone decide the value of what is said on their own? If you think he's an idiot and want to ignore whatever he says, fine that is your right. But you want to prevent others from hearing his message as well.

Why? What if Twitter was owned by people who backed Trump, and they banned Obama, Hillary or the Democrats in general? Same thing you're proposing, but in reverse. You still think it's a good idea?
        I remember how the media was like with Bush Jr. This is different, very different. This time around...they're actually right. The odd irony here is that you bought into their campaign against Bush but defend Trump to the bitter end.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Bush never did or said anything close to what Trump says. Can't see Bush mocking a disabled person
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Bush never did or said anything close to what Trump says. Can't see Bush mocking a disabled person
            no but he did mock the entire citizenry the night he was re-elected

Comment

But why do YOU want to silence him?
              Because:
              And, because Twitter (and Facebook) are doing everything in their power not to be responsible for any of the content on their sites, so all the trolls, paid trolls, terrorists (domestic and foreign), and general scum of the earth just get to do whatever they want. People posting crimes on facebook, spreading false information and propaganda, seems there's no low Facebook and Twitter that they can't go.

And also, because they're being huge hypocrites by putting the president above their own rules, despite, like i said before, banning people for way less.

Hence, i'd like to see twitter grow balls and enact their policy. Well, my real dream is that Twitter and Facebook burn to the ground, but that's not a reasonable wish. Wishing that they'd sanitize their userbase, and in turn make it less of a terrorist/paid troll platform is a much more feasible wish. And hence, Twitter could make no bigger statement of intent than banning one of the world's most successful trolls. Scrap that, THE world's most successful troll.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                Because:

And, because Twitter (and Facebook) are doing everything in their power not to be responsible for any of the content on their sites, so all the trolls, paid trolls, terrorists (domestic and foreign), and general scum of the earth just get to do whatever they want. People posting crimes on facebook, spreading false information and propaganda, seems there's no low Facebook and Twitter that they can't go.

And also, because they're being huge hypocrites by putting the president above their own rules, despite, like i said before, banning people for way less.

Hence, i'd like to see twitter grow balls and enact their policy. Well, my real dream is that Twitter and Facebook burn to the ground, but that's not a reasonable wish. Wishing that they'd sanitize their userbase, and in turn make it less of a terrorist/paid troll platform is a much more feasible wish. And hence, Twitter could make no bigger statement of intent than banning one of the world's most successful trolls. Scrap that, THE world's most successful troll.
                I'm not so sure that social networking sites should be "responsible" for what is posted by users. They are providing what is in effect a bulletin board that anyone can post on. Maybe they should be like common carriers in the communications industry; If two thugs plan a crime over the phone, is the telephone carrier responsible? Of course not. If it was, we wouldn't have telephone carriers.

And yes, I'm aware that as a private business, they are not legally required to recognize free speech, but I think that they should allow all, and allow the audience to decide the value of what is said.

Comment

He's saying they should act responsible, not BE responsible, there is a world of difference between the two.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

And yes, I'm aware that as a private business, they are not legally required to recognize free speech, but I think that they should allow all, and allow the audience to decide the value of what is said.
                    It's a solution as well. I don't agree with it (hence my moderator comment), but it's a solution. Either would be preferable to the current state of hypocrisy, although like i said before i prefer if both twitter and facebook burned to the ground and nothing ever came back for it.

The internet is different from real life, and so different rules should apply. In real life you can't post anonymously, nor can you spam, or ****post. The internet gives a level of ease and protection to it that simply has no real-life counterpart, and so it needs measures that have no real-life counterpart.

Without moderators, this board could not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      It's a solution as well. I don't agree with it (hence my moderator comment), but it's a solution. Either would be preferable to the current state of hypocrisy, although like i said before i prefer if both twitter and facebook burned to the ground and nothing ever came back for it.

The internet is different from real life, and so different rules should apply. In real life you can't post anonymously, nor can you spam, or ****post. The internet gives a level of ease and protection to it that simply has no real-life counterpart, and so it needs measures that have no real-life counterpart.

Without moderators, this board could not exist.
                      Ok. For the sake of discussion only, suppose we agree that social networking sites should filter content. But the gatekeepers, or editors are strongly biased to the right. To the point that they ensure the site presents a strong right-leaning persona, if you will. Posts encouraging illegal immigration and sanctuary cities are dropped as being "hateful" to the citizens of this country. Posts advocating abortion are similarly dropped, again on the guise of "hate speech", abortion being quite hateful to the unborn child.

The claims of encouraging illegal immigration and abortion can be considered hateful just as much as the content people want suppressed today is considered hateful.

In short, turn it around, so the censorship benefits Trump and others on the right. Still like the idea of censorship? Or would you rather see both sides of the conversation. There are two sides to everything.
                      Last edited by Annoyed; 12 December 2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

You really are clueless aren't you. I don't know how many ways we can say not everything is politically motivated
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

You really are clueless aren't you. I don't know how many ways we can say not everything is politically motivated
                          Need I point out that we are discussing a political matter; started out as should Twitter and social networking sites ban Trump's account. Trump isn't a political figure?

Comment

You can but you are still missing the point as it has nothing to do his political views
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

You can but you are still missing the point as it has nothing to do his political views
                              Yet, he expresses his political views on both afore mentioned social media sites.
                              sigpic

Comment

His political views aren't the issue for me. It's the bullying and threats of violence that are supposed to be against the rules.
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X