This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Winning, so much winning, the most popular president in the America's existence. No better. I'm the best. I'm the man. #MAGA

Last edited by Falcon Horus; Today at 07:34 AM. Reason: Trump doesn't refer to the USA... too many letters to remember.
    I presume the original was "Best President in the USA's existence".

The colloquial moniker of "America", referring to the U.S. has always bugged me. America is a continent, comprised of two sub-continents, North America and South America, and contains many different nations. That inaccuracy bugs me for some reason.

Comment

Because he's hard on crime and will vote for his taxbill... and he's a good man.
      Yes, there are problems with the Senate's version of the Tax bill; specifically that the cuts for lower end folks sunset in 10? years I think it is. That provision needs to be removed in the house/senate compromise bill.

But the media are having a party tearing tax reform apart on the grounds that it doesn't help the lower classes, which is patently false.

Doubling the standard deduction will cut my fed. tax bill significantly. 40% or more. So that claim is out with yesterday's trash, because that is what it is.

One of the biggest objections is that it eliminates the federal deductions for state/local taxes, which will hurt well-to-do taxpayers in high tax states. But I see that as a good thing.
      Maybe if the residents of these high-tax states such as NY, Calif. and such lose this exemption, there will be increased pressure upon the state level government to curtail spending so that taxes can be lowered to reasonable levels similar to other states. How is that a bad thing?

The other big objection seems to be the elimination of deductions for real estate taxes. As I understand it, this won't affect homes less than $500K in value.

I've got a news flash. If you're in or looking at a $500,000 home, you aren't poor, you're definitely well off, no matter where the hell it is located. So no points there, either.

Yes, the rich and corporate will do well on the original bill that came out of the House. But so will the lower classes, myself included.

Why aren't the media covering this honestly? I'll be glad to tell you. They have such blind hatred of Trump that it wousln't matter if he came out on the white house lawn tomorrow morning and announced an end to disease, war, hunger, famine and whatever else you want to think of. The mainstream media would still tear it down and oppose it.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

The colloquial moniker of "America", referring to the U.S. has always bugged me. America is a continent, comprised of two sub-continents, North America and South America, and contains many different nations. That inaccuracy bugs me for some reason.
        I'm sure everyone else outside of the US in this hemisphere feels the same way.
        Yes, there are problems with the Senate's version of the Tax bill; specifically that the cuts for lower end folks sunset in 10? years I think it is. That provision needs to be removed in the house/senate compromise bill.

But the media are having a party tearing tax reform apart on the grounds that it doesn't help the lower classes, which is patently false.

Doubling the standard deduction will cut my fed. tax bill significantly. 40% or more. So that claim is out with yesterday's trash, because that is what it is.

One of the biggest objections is that it eliminates the federal deductions for state/local taxes, which will hurt well-to-do taxpayers in high tax states. But I see that as a good thing.
        Maybe if the residents of these high-tax states such as NY, Calif. and such lose this exemption, there will be increased pressure upon the state level government to curtail spending so that taxes can be lowered to reasonable levels similar to other states. How is that a bad thing?

The other big objection seems to be the elimination of deductions for real estate taxes. As I understand it, this won't affect homes less than $500K in value.

I've got a news flash. If you're in or looking at a $500,000 home, you aren't poor, you're definitely well off, no matter where the hell it is located. So no points there, either.

Yes, the rich and corporate will do well on the original bill that came out of the House. But so will the lower classes, myself included.

Why aren't the media covering this honestly? I'll be glad to tell you. They have such blind hatred of Trump that it wousln't matter if he came out on the white house lawn tomorrow morning and announced an end to disease, war, hunger, famine and whatever else you want to think of. The mainstream media would still tear it down and oppose it.
        Yet somehow I have read all of this plus the stuff you left out.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

North America and South America are collectively known as "The Americas". "America" in the west means the USA. It's not an inaccuracy, although i think many south americans are very happy you think like them, since they call the continents collectively "America".

Also, United Statians sounds dumb, so people from the USA being called americans is a matter of linguistic convenience too.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            North America and South America are collectively known as "The Americas". "America" in the west means the USA. It's not an inaccuracy, although i think many south americans are very happy you think like them, since they call the continents collectively "America".
            Are you anglophonic? By default "Americano" does mean Unitedstatesian but "America" never means United States. When talking about people, you'll find many use "Estadounidense" as much as you'll find people use "Americano" to the point of interexchangability. It really depends on the speaker's opinion. But you can easily find people using "americano" to refer to something other than "Unitedstatesian".

I've read that Brazilians do use it depending on context to talk about non-Unitedstatesian things. But by default (if context isn't set) it refers to "Unitedstatesian". From what I read, Canadians don't like being referred to as "american" only because people assume they are Unitedstatesian and not because of the word itself...though they do seem annoyed by how the US uses that as a term for nationality. Beyond that I am in the dark as to how they see and use that word in general, but I suspect it is not that much different than how it is used Spanish America or Brazil.

Also, United Statians sounds dumb, so people from the USA being called americans is a matter of linguistic convenience too.
            Personally, I think it sounds cool. I prefer to include the second "s". Unitedstatesian pronounced United-State-see-an
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
              Personally, I think it sounds cool. I prefer to include the second "s". Unitedstatesian pronounced United-State-see-an
              I personally find it a horrible word

"Estadounidense" at least sounds like a proper word.

Comment

Indeed it did.

And whenever we, on this side of the pond, refer to the US, it's in the form of Amerika (Dutch for you guessed it, America). An Amerikaan = a resident of America. Occasionaly, it'll be the US or the States.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Tax Bill explained, and it rather amuses me that the deficit will increase instead of decrease. Debts, debts and even more debts.

The House Republican tax bill, explained It radically cuts taxes on corporations and wealthy heirs.

There's also that hidden Affordable Care Act repeal hidden in one of the amendments, and let us nog forgot the hidden anti-abortion amendment wanting to give unborn foetuses personhood.

Repealing the Obamacare Individual Mandate Could Complicate Tax Reform.

Snopes rates the foetal personhood mostly true:

Does the GOP Tax Bill Introduce Anti-Abortion “Fetal Personhood” Legislation?

Comment

On the bright side, it get rid of giving money away to those greedy teachers
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

and let us nog forgot the hidden anti-abortion amendment wanting to give unborn foetuses personhood.
                      no prob personhood will be repealed after they're born & need healthcare they can't afford

Comment

Churches now want to be a part of the political process. So if that is the case why not remove their tax exempt status now?

Bet they will run screaming and crying if you do that.
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                          Churches now want to be a part of the political process. So if that is the case why not remove their tax exempt status now?

I think it's only natural that if they want in on the game they loose their exemption.

But more importantly, separation of church/religion and state should be maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post

Are you sure it's the Churches themselves? Maybe its the members of the congregation that are expressing their opinions and views on political matters? Regardless of what the church itself does, those people have the right to participate in our govt.

Comment

Are you sure it's the Churches themselves? Maybe its the members of the congregation that are expressing their opinions and views on political matters? Regardless of what the church itself does, those people have the right to participate in our govt.
                              Please see the religious discussion thread.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

God bless (what was?) America.
                                http://www.newsweek.com/trump-twitte...p-state-724654
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X