This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    When you stop claiming the kid as a dependent, those credits go bye...
    Wha??
    When you retire, your taxable income goes as well. When I retire, my kids will keep on paying. That's why I said it is not a vacuum.
    If my kids have better jobs due to better education, they generate even more taxable income.
    If my kids are healthy, they will generate even more taxable income.
    If they are both, then they have the best possible chance of becoming "good little revenue machines" for society.
    They also have a better chance of having a good, happy and longer life.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Is it the gay you find "objectionable", or the interference of State and/or Federal law in "private business"?
      Government interference in private business -can- be bad, it can also be good.
      If it's the gay you find objectionable, however.............
      That decision in the bakery case (so far, SCOTUS has it now) elevates the rights of the gay couple above the rights of the business owner. That is my objection.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        That decision in the bakery case (so far, SCOTUS has it now) elevates the rights of the gay couple above the rights of the business owner. That is my objection.
        Ok, that's sorta good, I guess.
        So, I have to ask my previous question.
        Why give business, -any- business powers you would not want in the hands of the government?
        Governance, in democratic theory is to represent the people and act in their interests, Business has only the goal of creating wealth for it's owners.
        Yes, Governance gets skewed, left or right, excessively so sometimes, but business never becomes excessively skewed towards anything but making money for it's owners.

Are you the Ferengi, or the Federation?
        sigpic

Comment

Ok, that's sorta good, I guess.
          So, I have to ask my previous question.
          Why give business, -any- business powers you would not want in the hands of the government?
          Governance, in democratic theory is to represent the people and act in their interests, Business has only the goal of creating wealth for it's owners.
          Yes, Governance gets skewed, left or right, excessively so sometimes, but business never becomes excessively skewed towards anything but making money for it's owners.

Are you the Ferengi, or the Federation?
          Depends. TOS era? Federation. TNG and later? Neither.

Comment

Depends. TOS era? Federation. TNG and later? Neither.
            Again you dodge the question with the flippant metaphor at the end.
            Just quietly however, I think Bones would see your views on the issue akin to how he sees the views of 20th century medicine.

sigpic

Comment

So what, discrimination is fine if it's on religious grounds? hold on a second, i'm gonna found a "not paying taxes" church and exercise my religious freedom to not pay taxes. Since apparently that's more important than common sense.

Comment

Wha??
                When you retire, your taxable income goes as well. When I retire, my kids will keep on paying. That's why I said it is not a vacuum.
                If my kids have better jobs due to better education, they generate even more taxable income.
                If my kids are healthy, they will generate even more taxable income.
                If they are both, then they have the best possible chance of becoming "good little revenue machines" for society.
                They also have a better chance of having a good, happy and longer life.
                And how is that making it 'ok to discriminate' against those who don't have kids?

Comment

Again you dodge the question with the flippant metaphor at the end.
                  Just quietly however, I think Bones would see your views on the issue akin to how he sees the views of 20th century medicine.

No, I didn't dodge your question. I answered, in kind. TOS era was based on the capitalist society that was most prevalent and most popular in the 60's when Gene was creating the universe. They still had money, and people had to earn a living. Hence the Tribble vendor/prospector, Cyrano Jones, Harry Mud and probably others that slip my mind atm. The communist, cashless society didn't show up until the TNG era.

This has been documented on various web sites; this is just one I found using a quick google search while cooking my steak

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/...k-Marxism.html

I'm far more TOS than TNG, and the Ferengi are an example of the profit motive run amuck, so I don't identify with them.

Comment

You're wrong. The cashless society of Trek started before ENt's area
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      So what, discrimination is fine if it's on religious grounds? hold on a second, i'm gonna found a "not paying taxes" church and exercise my religious freedom to not pay taxes. Since apparently that's more important than common sense.
                      It's called "My lady of perpetual exemption", John oliver made it as a joke:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg
                      sigpic

Comment

and the Ferengi are an example of the profit motive run amuck, so I don't identify with them.
                        and the Ferengi are like an Aylien Rand

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          And how is that making it 'ok to discriminate' against those who don't have kids?
                          It's like a brick wall.
                          It is a fact that Need to spend time rearing my kids
                          It is a fact that the government will give me a tax break for that
                          It is a fact that you do not have to spend your time rearing kids, you can go to conventions instead
                          It is a fact that you will get no tax break for your choice.

You get something I do not, I get something you do not.
                          Simple enough?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            He used a star wars site, FAKE NEWS!!
                            SAD!!
                            sigpic

Comment

SAD!!
                              The petaQ has no honor
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Where was that first shown?
                                In the TOS era, they clearly had money; it was called credits, as I recall. Uhuru & Chekov were haggling price with Cyrano Jones for the Tribbles. Clearly, they still had cash in TOS.

SAD!!
                                As I indicated, I was cooking dinner when I wrote that, and I'm not about to burn a perfectly good ribeye screwing around on Google. If it was merely Bacon.... But anyway, I just took the first site I came across that discussed it.

There are others that I've read. I'll have to see if I can find them again.

Comment

Working...
                                X