This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, a law was passed which grants couples the chance to have a genetic test to check whether they are carriers of illnesses which they could potentially pass onto their children. They can then decide whether to risk it, or decide against having children the natural way (IVF, adopt, ...).

It's not mandatory, and it's not binding.
    Trusting soul, aren't you?
    No way would I voluntarily submit to such testing. It may not be binding now..... But once out of the bottle..

Comment

Paranoid soul aren't you?
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

Or this perhaps: Texas Senate passes two anti-abortion bills

"Texas senators advanced two anti-abortion bills, one that would prevent parents from suing doctors if their baby is born with a birth defect and another that would require doctors to make sure a fetus is deceased before performing a certain type of abortion."

Or this one, which I'm not sure but I think was already ruled unconstitutional: Oklahoma Just Passed The Most Oppressive Law Against Women In History

"Women must get men’s permission to have an abortion as Oklahoma takes a giant step back to the dark ages of dangerous and illegal back-street abortions. A Public Health Committee at the state capitol agreed to let dads block abortions.

Republican state representative Justin Humphrey said that he just wants to include the father in the abortion process, but what he is really doing is giving the man the right to control the woman’s body.
          "

I mean, seriously, you ought to have a look at all those bills that your own Christian conservative friends are passing and signing. I'm sure those aren't meant to hurt anyone, or discriminate against anyone's rights.
          it's not sharia when they do it
          Last edited by SoulReaver; 08 May 2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago, a law was passed which grants couples the chance to have a genetic test to check whether they are carriers of illnesses which they could potentially pass onto their children. They can then decide whether to risk it, or decide against having children the natural way (IVF, adopt, ...).

It's not mandatory, and it's not binding.
            Isn't that close to getting how Gattica was?

Are you running a public business? Or a private one?

Public, your believes have no place on the workfloor.
            Private, do whatever you like.
            So IYO, beliefs should stop at your front door if you work in the public sector.. IF that's the case why then have we seen several lawsuits from muslims against various companies to "conform their work routines/uniform standards to allow muslims to honor their religion while at work?

If its OK for muslims to honor their religion while on the job, why not christians, in not being forced to cater to gay weddings??

Freedom of speech, except when it is to insult the Great Leader.
            We already have laws on the books about what can be said/not said on TV during certain hours.. That's why shock jock Stern is now on pay to play radio..

Yeah, he uttered his support for Macron.

Trump did the same for Le Pen.
            The Republicans even had a meeting with Marine.
            But SCg's point was why is it ok for us to go out and show support, campaign, meddle in Other countries politics, but not for other countries to meddle in ours?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Originally Posted by Falcon Horus
              Are you running a public business? Or a private one?
              Public, your believes have no place on the workfloor.
              Private, do whatever you like.
              I think you two are looking the term "public sector" differently.

I read it as working in and with regards to government services as one thing and working in the private sector in a privately or corporately owned business as another.

For example, the country clerk or any other govt. office can't treat anyone differently. If they offer a service, they have to offer it to everyone, neither the institution or its employees may impose their religious or personal views on it.

On the other hand, a privately owned business should be operated as the owner sees fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                Trusting soul, aren't you?
                No way would I voluntarily submit to such testing. It may not be binding now..... But once out of the bottle..
                I'm not trusting. I just wouldn't want a child to have to suffer if there's anything a future parent can do to prevent that from happening.

If Duchenne can be avoided -- then avoid it. It's a guaranteed short lifespan (and by short I mean, the average life span is 26 -- some, who can no doubt afford the treatment live into their 30ties or fourties). There is, as of yet, no cure for Duchenne muscular dystrophy.

Or Huntington's -- also an inherited disease which kills the brain cells. It has a similar pattern like Parkinson's, and is often mistaken for it.

If a parent can choose to have a healthy child, or at least not one at risk of developing a degenerative disease which could be inherited (the percentage depending on who is the carrier, only one parent vs both), then I feel the parent has every right to know about it before going onto the next phase of the baby-making.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                it's not sharia when they do it
                Good point.

Isn't that close to getting how Gattica was?
                Yup.

An inferior man switches places with a superior man who became parelized. The reason for the switch so he can make his dream of going into space come true.

What I remember from the film is that newborn's genes are tested and then classified into different classes, depending on the strength of their genes.

So IYO, beliefs should stop at your front door if you work in the public sector.. IF that's the case why then have we seen several lawsuits from muslims against various companies to "conform their work routines/uniform standards to allow muslims to honor their religion while at work?
                You are mixing up a few things.

Your business is a public business -- a bakery for example, or a bookshop, or a restaurant. You are offering baked goods, books, food and drinks to your customers. Your business, the entity, is not affiliated to any religion, while you are, as its owner.

You can wear crosses, a hijab, a turban, or whatever else that defines part of your religion (as long as it does not interfere with the safety of the work -- in a factory where it's important to not get caught in between machines with anything, it needs to be noted that all pieces of clothing need to be tightened accordingly). However, you express that your Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Bhudist, .... anyway you feel befits your religion.

Does your business have morals or believes? The entity you are owner of?
                The owner, you, has morals and believes, which have no place in serving the public to a loaf of bread or cake, books, or a fine plate of hors d'oeuvres.

You have an issue with Muslim women wearing their hijabs? Yet, are okay with Indians wearing a turban? Christians a cross? Jews -- damn it, how is that little hat called?

If its OK for muslims to honor their religion while on the job, why not christians, in not being forced to cater to gay weddings??
                Because there's a big difference between wearing a hijab and a cross around your neck, and denying service to anyone because it goes against your morals and believes -- that's personal, not business. Once you understand the difference, between personal believes and business, you'll probably understand the whole discrimination-problem. Otherwise, you are going to continue going round in circles, biting your own tail.

We already have laws on the books about what can be said/not said on TV during certain hours.. That's why shock jock Stern is now on pay to play radio.
                Like swear words getting beeped out?

But SCg's point was why is it ok for us to go out and show support, campaign, meddle in Other countries politics, but not for other countries to meddle in ours?
                Because there's a difference between hacking and bribing, and uttering verbal support.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I love all the angst from the alt right and the tears of salt over the France election...

But now they are whining and calling the EU a muslim state????????????

I do not get that.
                  Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Yup.

An inferior man switches places with a superior man who became parelized. The reason for the switch so he can make his dream of going into space come true.

What I remember from the film is that newborn's genes are tested and then classified into different classes, depending on the strength of their genes.
                    Actually birth control in that film is heavily regulated. Gene splicing etc. Natural births are seen as 'low class' and often not given the same rights as the 'gene-birthers'.. Heck they can even do 1 min testing on a simple KISS to tell the gal you smooched all about who your genes say you are..

You have an issue with Muslim women wearing their hijabs? Yet, are okay with Indians wearing a turban? Christians a cross? Jews -- damn it, how is that little hat called?
                    Actually i have remarked on the turban issue before... I don' like those little exemptions for this or that religon being given. Either give it to all, or to none.

Because there's a difference between hacking and bribing, and uttering verbal support.
                    And WHERE IS the proof of that hacking and bribery?

Comment

Actually i have remarked on the turban issue before... I don' like those little exemptions for this or that religon being given. Either give it to all, or to none.
                      So it's the hindus or sikhs or muslims or jews fault now, that christians (or atheists) don't have a special dress code? Go invent your own if you're so jealous of other religions or think you are missing out on something. Or you could dress like the amish if you're happy then...
                      Last edited by Gatecat; 08 May 2017, 11:28 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatecat View Post
                        So it's the hindus or sikhs or muslims or jews fault now, that christians (or atheists) don't have a special dress code? Go invent your own if you're so jealous of other religions or think you are missing out on something. Or you could dress like the amish if you're happy then...
                        Oh, there are Christian dress codes, they are just ignored
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Gattacca should be required viewing along with 1984 for those that can't read
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                            I love all the angst from the alt right and the tears of salt over the France election...

But now they are whining and calling the EU a muslim state????????????

I do not get that.
                            The European Union's not a state -- for the record. It's an organization which has members that happen to be states.

It's odd, and satisfying all at once.

Actually birth control in that film is heavily regulated. Gene splicing etc. Natural births are seen as 'low class' and often not given the same rights as the 'gene-birthers'.. Heck they can even do 1 min testing on a simple KISS to tell the gal you smooched all about who your genes say you are.
                            It's been a long time since I've seen it. Thought it was a fascinating concept as far as the development of humankind could go.

We did indeed. I vaguely remembered something about it, hence why I mentioned them.

And WHERE IS the proof of that hacking and bribery?
                            Misssed the Clapper and Yates hearing, I see.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            Oh, there are Christian dress codes, they are just ignored
                            Synthetics right -- they can't wear that.

Comment

Oh, there is much more than that, much, much more.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Oh... right...

Comment

Working...
                                X