Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad they've given him a stay for now at least. Once he's been executed, if he's found innocent via DNA, it becomes a moot point
    sigpic

Comment

Ahhh...Texas' own idiot wants to make more cuts to education if he gets to Washington. All I can say is I hope this country grows a brain and doesn't even give him the chance to make it to Washington.
      sigpic

Comment

Reporter: Have you ever been accused of sexually harassing anyone?

Cain: No, apart from in the restaurant industry (or something to that effect)

*Headdesk*

Comment

Some UK news..

A private company is in deals to run an NHS hospital

Apparently, health team member Mark Simmonds MP is also a paid strategic advisor with Circle. Coincidence?

Did the Tories not see what happened when they privatised hospital cleaning and catering? Or privatising the train service and utilities? The outsourcing of hospital cleaning services resulted in a drop in standards that was partially responsible for the rise in nosocomial infections like MRSA.

"The NHS is safe in our hands" my @rse.
          sigpic
          http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
          http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...147015,00.html

it'll be interesting to see if the shooter gets punished this time

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
              Some UK news..

A private company is in deals to run an NHS hospital

Apparently, health team member Mark Simmonds MP is also a paid strategic advisor with Circle. Coincidence?

Did the Tories not see what happened when they privatised hospital cleaning and catering? Or privatising the train service and utilities? The outsourcing of hospital cleaning services resulted in a drop in standards that was partially responsible for the rise in nosocomial infections like MRSA.

"The NHS is safe in our hands" my @rse.
              It is in £40,000,000 of debt. It will still be free at the point of entry.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15697773
                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                  http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...147015,00.html

it'll be interesting to see if the shooter gets punished this time
                  From the description of the incident that I've seen so far, he will probably be punished, yes, although I am somewhat ambivalent about it. On one hand, de jure he is at fault for violating the rules of engagement; on the other hand, even though my own service was non-combat, I did my share of settlement guarding duties and I know first-hand that this kind of situations are very difficult to handle. A suspicious car speeding through the checkpoint doesn't leave you much time for thinking, and to try and shoot out its tires at night time you need to be one hell of a gunslinger. And if you don't shoot, tomorrow you might read in the news about a suicide bombing or an Itamar-style massacre.

It's a very messy situation; the soldier had good reasons to shoot, yet the driver was guilty of little more than some degree of recklessness coupled with poor eyesight.

(There are only two possible situations that are worse than this. One is an ambulance speeding through the checkpoint; the other is a car with US consulate license plates doing the same. The US consulate in Jerusalem has a habit of hiring Palestinian drivers without any background check, and it's not uncommon for US consulate cars to try to run over checkpoint guards).
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                    It is in £40,000,000 of debt. It will still be free at the point of entry.
                    Yeah, but Circle themselves made a loss of almost that much in just last year!

The prospect of a company (run by a former Goldman-Sachs banker ) making a profit from our NHS fills me with horror. What's more they have admitted that patient care could suffer due to their aggressive business strategy and wanting to expand and capitalise on the NHS.

..And there isn't exactly a good precedent for the government handing public services over to private companies.
                    sigpic
                    http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                    http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                      From the description of the incident that I've seen so far, he will probably be punished, yes, although I am somewhat ambivalent about it. On one hand, de jure he is at fault for violating the rules of engagement; on the other hand, even though my own service was non-combat, I did my share of settlement guarding duties and I know first-hand that this kind of situations are very difficult to handle. A suspicious car speeding through the checkpoint doesn't leave you much time for thinking, and to try and shoot out its tires at night time you need to be one hell of a gunslinger. And if you don't shoot, tomorrow you might read in the news about a suicide bombing or an Itamar-style massacre.

It's a very messy situation; the soldier had good reasons to shoot, yet the driver was guilty of little more than some degree of recklessness coupled with poor eyesight.

(There are only two possible situations that are worse than this. One is an ambulance speeding through the checkpoint; the other is a car with US consulate license plates doing the same. The US consulate in Jerusalem has a habit of hiring Palestinian drivers without any background check, and it's not uncommon for US consulate cars to try to run over checkpoint guards).
                      but ain't there a crucial difference in that unlike an armed civie in a similar situation, the soldier is specifically trained to be able to shoot to disable without killing in precisely this sort of scenario - the article itself mentions this
                      so basically he's guilty not of shooting, but of shooting & killing the bloke
                      it's for this reason that he ought to be convicted of involuntary homicide (in other words jail - even if only a suspended sentence - and a criminal record, discharge etc.)

there's a bunch of other articles from Israel that relate essentially the same thing

since you know the local system, what d'you think will happen?
                      Last edited by SoulReaver; 14 November 2011, 07:07 AM. Reason: grammer & spellin misteaks

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                        Yeah, but Circle themselves made a loss of almost that much in just last year!

The prospect of a company (run by a former Goldman-Sachs banker ) making a profit from our NHS fills me with horror. What's more they have admitted that patient care could suffer due to their aggressive business strategy and wanting to expand and capitalise on the NHS.

..And there isn't exactly a good precedent for the government handing public services over to private companies.
                        Fair point we'll just have to see.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                          but ain't there a crucial difference in that unlike an armed civie in a similar situation, the soldier is specifically trained to be able to shoot to disable without killing in precisely this sort of scenario - the article itself mentions this
                          so basically he's guilty not of shooting, but of shooting & killing the bloke
                          it's for this reason that he ought to be convicted of involuntary homicide (in other words jail - even if only a suspended sentence - and a criminal record, discharge etc.)
                          There's a more important difference- it was not a civilian situation. It was a military situation in a war zone. Civvie law doesn't apply and crime definitions work differently.

Military laws for such things are a different and distinct body of law from civilian criminal codes. They have to be. Soldiers can't do their jobs if in case of the slightest doubt in combat situations they need to have a lawyer on speed dial.

And you can train soldiers to do things a certain way, but you need to be realistic about how things work in the field. Shooting out the wheels of a speeding car at night time is an extremely difficult feat even for a well-trained marksman. Try to simply keep a stick aimed at this kind of target- without the need to calculate the actual bullet's impact point- and you'll see that.

since you know the local system, what d'you think will happen?
                          I honestly don't know. It's a difficult one. It will boil down to two things: whether or not he had sufficient reasons to open fire (probably yes) and whether or not he followed the proper procedure for intercepting a suspicious car (most likely not). There will most likely be a disciplinary punishment of some kind, but there is no basis for a criminal conviction.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post

*facepalm* I weep at our stupidity sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                              *facepalm* I weep at our stupidity sometimes.

yeah...hiring anybody without checking them out is stupidity at its finest....

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/teen-tweeter-w...230737888.html
                                this is just frakking dumb. No one should be making do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X