X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GW Career Center.

You can thank Jelgate for this idea.

It has occured to me that I am missing something, real practical knowledge about my future. I know what I want to do, I want to be a radio broadcaster and a writer. I have read books on the latter project and am leading one, I write a lot of fan fiction, but I am still pretty clueless about how to get into the professional field and what references or books would be great and important. Same with Radio. That is what I want to do with my career I do not know any of the specifics of actually getting there. I do not know where to go. I have spent a lot of time thinking on the subject, believe me I have. And wondering about what would be the proper path to take. What books would be good to read on the subject, who would be good to talk to, what educational or vocational programs exisit that could lead to that path? What do I need to do and what is it like to actually be in the field?

Also, I was thinking. This would be a great idea for GW, because there is strength in numbers and there are a lot of people here, I imagine, wondering about what to do with the rest of their lives. Beacause there is strength in numbers and we all might be able to help eachother come up with solutions to these problems, a new perspective, a new book, some link or website we never heard of. Anyone who wants to start out, improve, or change your careers, this is the place for you. And this is a place for those of experience to share there advice...who knows maybe there is a radio star on here? But I know there are writers and teachers on here, members of the military, and a lot more people who I never heard of. So lets see what we can come up with

Well, I'm not sure what to do with my life. But I'm always improving myself all the time.

I'm joining the Air Force really soon, so that will give me a path to start out with.

I didn't know you wanted to be a radio host, but that sounds just like you.

Comment

Unemployment

Get a really lousy job, at a company that's run by incompetent morons who have no idea how the company actually works and they'll downsize you. There you go.

Or else, just don't get a job in the first place
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well I want to do GIS or Geographic Information System and I would like to work for the Federal government or be a civilian in the military working for them and then find a job in the private sector, make some money then become a professor one day but thats what I want to do, I'm not sure if I can do it yet though
        Vote Anubis for President in 2012
        A Face you Can Trust
        sigpic
        So whats the worst that could happen?
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
        It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

I want to be a geologist for the United States Geological Survey and a photographer for National Geographic

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
            It has occured to me that I am missing something, real practical knowledge about my future. I know what I want to do, I want to be a radio broadcaster and a writer. I have read books on the latter project and am leading one, I write a lot of fan fiction, but I am still pretty clueless about how to get into the professional field and what references or books would be great and important. Same with Radio. That is what I want to do with my career I do not know any of the specifics of actually getting there. I do not know where to go. I have spent a lot of time thinking on the subject, believe me I have. And wondering about what would be the proper path to take. What books would be good to read on the subject, who would be good to talk to, what educational or vocational programs exisit that could lead to that path? What do I need to do and what is it like to actually be in the field?
            Shockingly, I know a thing or two about each of these careers.

To get into radio, the most important thing to do is get your foot in the door. They're not going to hire somebody off the street because they have a nifty voice. You need to get in there and do a bunch of the menial tasks and gradually work your way up. So go around to your local stations, see if they are hiring. Take any position you can get. Internships are probably the best way to get into the biz. They'll basically train you in all you need to know. However, to get that internship, you may need to be going to uni for a journalism or communications degree. Again, call up local radio stations. See if they offer internships, and what qualifications you need to get it. Then get those qualifications. So long as you get your foot in the door and work hard, you'll work your way up.

As for a writer, the most important thing to do is write. Anything, really. Poems, short stories, novels. Whatever. Just write. Hone your skills, and always edit your works. Make sure you finish stuff though, because the key is getting yourself published. That is hard. To get published, you need an editor. To get an editor, you need to be published. So you have to research your publishing companies, find out which ones are most likely to publish the sort of material you've written, then submit manuscript after manuscript in an attempt to get their attention. The key is going after the new editors who don't have a full list of clients, and are looking to take more people on. It's a lot of work, and many writers aren't ever able to get the attention of an editor to publish the works. There are a couple of exceptions to this that I can think of, though. One is romance novels. You can go to the Harlequin Romance site, download their guide to writing a romance novel, write... and if its good enough, they'll print it. Not very fulfilling. The other exception I can think of is that there are many companies out there (some of them online), where you pay them to print a specified number of copies of your works. Then its up to you to market and distribute those copies, and hopefully you can make back your initial investment. Once you get your name out there, it becomes exponentially easier to get published.

Both require hard work, patience, and a never quit attitude. But both can be quite rewarding. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by cowpants View Post
              As for a writer, the most important thing to do is write. Anything, really. Poems, short stories, novels. Whatever. Just write. Hone your skills, and always edit your works. Make sure you finish stuff though, because the key is getting yourself published. That is hard. To get published, you need an editor. To get an editor, you need to be published. So you have to research your publishing companies, find out which ones are most likely to publish the sort of material you've written, then submit manuscript after manuscript in an attempt to get their attention. The key is going after the new editors who don't have a full list of clients, and are looking to take more people on. It's a lot of work, and many writers aren't ever able to get the attention of an editor to publish the works. There are a couple of exceptions to this that I can think of, though. One is romance novels. You can go to the Harlequin Romance site, download their guide to writing a romance novel, write... and if its good enough, they'll print it. Not very fulfilling. The other exception I can think of is that there are many companies out there (some of them online), where you pay them to print a specified number of copies of your works. Then its up to you to market and distribute those copies, and hopefully you can make back your initial investment. Once you get your name out there, it becomes exponentially easier to get published.

Both require hard work, patience, and a never quit attitude. But both can be quite rewarding. Good luck.
              I'm a pastry chef but what really floats my boat is writing. While it would be great to be published, it isn't a real drive with me, at least not yet. So, it's writing for joy for me

As for the pastry chef angle, there are a couple of ways to go at it, and I've done both.

1) Much like Cowpants' advice on getting into radio, the same holds true for getting into pastry, or any of the more specialized chef positions. Get your foot in the door, take any position you can. Most likely you'll be starting in a hotel, as smaller, independent bakeries will hire experienced help whereas in a hotel, you can start out in any number of positions and once you're in, take it from there. Make sure that you find out whether or not the hotel makes their own pastries, as some will simply have them delivered (a good many larger chains have them delivered, for example).

1a) While you're waiting, read everything you can about pastry. Get the books. Visit all different sorts of shops and look at their pastries. Get equipment. Make stuff at home. And this is important - Take Pictures, good ones. You're building a portfolio, so that when it comes time for you to ask to work under a chef, you've got something to show for it.

2) Go to school. While there is nothing wrong at all about going about it via step one, I can't stress enough how important it is to go to school. Making cakes is something anyone can do, but this kind of baking is an art form and it requires precision and skill. Yes, that can be learned, but nothing beats being taught. If you've got a good culinary school in your area, look into a patisserie arts program, and again - Take Pictures
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                I want to be a geologist for the United States Geological Survey and a photographer for National Geographic
                Nice! I am an Art Teacher...but I have a very good friend who is now a photographer for our newspaper here. The biggest thing to get "published for money" is you do have to just take lots of pictures and find a style for yourself that makes you unique. Then just submit your stuff to your local newspapers. Once you get published a few times locally then you can create a portfolio of work and try and hit up the magazines. Problem with that is travel. You really have to go where the action is persay...so if you are wanting to stay in one location...but judging from the fact you want to be a geologist...you probably do want to travel......you will have to take to the skies. Or if you are doing more journalistic picture taking then you would need to be on the ball...get a police scanner and go to the various scenes that are making headlines and just snap away. It just takes some hard leg work, travel and a keen ear and eye. Good Luck!
                Originally posted by jelgate
                This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Thanks everyone for participating in this. I do feel that this is important and there have been some very interesting posts.
                  Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                  Well, I'm not sure what to do with my life. But I'm always improving myself all the time.

I'm joining the Air Force really soon, so that will give me a path to start out with.

I didn't know you wanted to be a radio host, but that sounds just like you.
                  Good luck with that . And yeah it will...actually that is something my Dad is pushing me towards to join the miltary and learn the ropes that way.

But seriously. Its great and your country will appreciate your service
                  Originally posted by cowpants View Post
                  Shockingly, I know a thing or two about each of these careers.

To get into radio, the most important thing to do is get your foot in the door. They're not going to hire somebody off the street because they have a nifty voice. You need to get in there and do a bunch of the menial tasks and gradually work your way up. So go around to your local stations, see if they are hiring. Take any position you can get. Internships are probably the best way to get into the biz. They'll basically train you in all you need to know. However, to get that internship, you may need to be going to uni for a journalism or communications degree. Again, call up local radio stations. See if they offer internships, and what qualifications you need to get it. Then get those qualifications. So long as you get your foot in the door and work hard, you'll work your way up.

Thanks Cow And yeah I did actually suspect that and in my head it was logical that is the way, especially for me, that I would have to go about such things...but its still nice to know when one is right .

Very itneresting comments again. Again I suspected a lot of that but it is interesting seeing it all there like that. The second option though is the most interesting of all because you have to have a lot of confidence in your work....certainly a lot of food for thought

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                  I'm a pastry chef but what really floats my boat is writing. While it would be great to be published, it isn't a real drive with me, at least not yet. So, it's writing for joy for me

As for the pastry chef angle, there are a couple of ways to go at it, and I've done both.

1) Much like Cowpants' advice on getting into radio, the same holds true for getting into pastry, or any of the more specialized chef positions. Get your foot in the door, take any position you can. Most likely you'll be starting in a hotel, as smaller, independent bakeries will hire experienced help whereas in a hotel, you can start out in any number of positions and once you're in, take it from there. Make sure that you find out whether or not the hotel makes their own pastries, as some will simply have them delivered (a good many larger chains have them delivered, for example).

1a) While you're waiting, read everything you can about pastry. Get the books. Visit all different sorts of shops and look at their pastries. Get equipment. Make stuff at home. And this is important - Take Pictures, good ones. You're building a portfolio, so that when it comes time for you to ask to work under a chef, you've got something to show for it.

2) Go to school. While there is nothing wrong at all about going about it via step one, I can't stress enough how important it is to go to school. Making cakes is something anyone can do, but this kind of baking is an art form and it requires precision and skill. Yes, that can be learned, but nothing beats being taught. If you've got a good culinary school in your area, look into a patisserie arts program, and again - Take Pictures
                  Thank you Good inititiative and good insight.

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                  Nice! I am an Art Teacher...but I have a very good friend who is now a photographer for our newspaper here. The biggest thing to get "published for money" is you do have to just take lots of pictures and find a style for yourself that makes you unique. Then just submit your stuff to your local newspapers. Once you get published a few times locally then you can create a portfolio of work and try and hit up the magazines. Problem with that is travel. You really have to go where the action is persay...so if you are wanting to stay in one location...but judging from the fact you want to be a geologist...you probably do want to travel......you will have to take to the skies. Or if you are doing more journalistic picture taking then you would need to be on the ball...get a police scanner and go to the various scenes that are making headlines and just snap away. It just takes some hard leg work, travel and a keen ear and eye. Good Luck!
                  Awesome

Comment

per another thread, before i noticed this one:

Archaeology student/writer/producer/director/sex machine/professional drinker/free-range goat farmer

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                      per another thread, before i noticed this one:

Archaeology student/writer/producer/director/sex machine/professional drinker/free-range goat farmer
                      How does one becaome a professional Sex Machine DiNozzo

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                        How does one becaome a professional Sex Machine DiNozzo
                        lack of elbows

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                          lack of elbows
                          Well that would be a bit difficult for me to pull off

Comment

i have a career as a landscaper
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84