What was the last movie you saw ? + recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jper View Post
    I'm in between. It's a good movie, but I've seen better. It has its charm, but by times it fails to attract my attention. I watched it once, and I liked it, but I don't love it, and I won't watch it again.
    Uhhh. . . which movie are you talking about?
    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
      Uhhh. . . which movie are you talking about?
      Sorry, I forgot to remove the part of the quote I wasn't responding to. I was talking about Pan's Labyrinth 'cause you said you've never met anyone "in between", and well I'm "in between" I guess.
      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Don't worry Jper, I understood
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Don't worry Jper, I understood
          Well, thanks.

(Yes, I know it's stupid to waste a message/post for this, but I can't green, 'cause I'm out of green and nobody has refilled my green buffers yet.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
            Sorry, I forgot to remove the part of the quote I wasn't responding to. I was talking about Pan's Labyrinth 'cause you said you've never met anyone "in between", and well I'm "in between" I guess.
            I thought that was probably what you meant but didn't want to assume.

So what did you find charming about it, because I saw nothing. But then I've since learned that there are people that like movies that are nothing but depressing which I don't understand, why would you want to spend 2 hrs watching something that makes you more depressed than when you started (unless it's educational or the news)
            sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
              I thought that was probably what you meant but didn't want to assume.

So what did you find charming about it, because I saw nothing. But then I've since learned that there are people that like movies that are nothing but depressing which I don't understand, why would you want to spend 2 hrs watching something that makes you more depressed than when you started (unless it's educational or the news)
              Oh, that's okay.

Well I have to admit I liked the fantasy world in the movie. It was to nice to see. Also, liked how it inter-weaved the real and the fantasy world. It's like a modern fairy tale, but a dark fairy tale. And it isn't always my taste, but overall it was good. It's more of an alternative-genre film, no? At least I don't think it fits with the Hollywood-genre films. And I like Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Blade II ... Haven't seen Splice yet.) And Pan's Labyrinth has very good ratings, btw.

Anyways, the story is nice, and the film looks beautiful, and all that, but sometimes the film lacks progress, falls apart in too many pieces, or just drags on a bit. It's nice to have a more poetic approach to film, but you shouldn't overdo it. Like I said, it's really a more "alternative" movie. By this I don't mean anything bad, 'cause look at Amelie Poulain, which was the same sort of "alternative" movie, but it works for a broader audience as well, something Pan's Labyrinth fails to do, I believe.

It doesn't connect enough, and beautiful parts stitched together don't make a good movie, you need more.

Comment

I think we saw 2 different films. I can't imagine calling anything about that film beautiful. The Pan's Labryinth I saw was set in a rainy dreary depressing camp in a South American (? can't remember the country) rural area. But I will give them points for creating the atmosphere which they did a very good job of (Unless that wasn't the intention).
                Spoilers for those that haven't seen the movie (and keep not seeing it)
                Spoiler:
                The little girl lives in this dreary environment with the sadistic violent military leader abusing her Mother. So to get away from these she creates a fantasy world that is - more violent and scary than her real life - WHAT?!?!?

Also I didn't think it interweaved the fantasy and real life well at all - seemed just thrown in there
                sigpic

Comment

I watched Planet of the Apes for the umpteenth time earlier tonight. One of the best sci-fi films ever made
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The Tournament, not 2 bad and in a way kinda like Smokin' Aces.

Rock N Rolla, Good film with quite a bit of comedy moments.
                    sigpic

Comment

Centurion - quite good movie
                      sigpic

Comment

Pan's Labyrith was in Spain during the Spanish revolution and whatnot while the rest of the world was in WWII I think.

Nah, I thought the little girl just wanted to be loved, hence the whole search for a "home" so to speak rather than the unwanted home she was in now.

Comment

Love it...if it is a bit on the historical inaccurate side .

Comment

Since my last post in this thread a few days ago...

Beneath the Planet of the Apes
                            Escape from the Planet of the Apes
                            Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
                            Battle for the Planet of the Apes

Punisher: War Zone

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
                            Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze
                            Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
                            TMNT

I've been busy

Comment

Repo! The Genetic Opera.

Well I loved it, but I can easily see why it would be... disliked. Anthony Stewart Head rocked the ****ing movie, too, and it was awesome.
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Prince of Persia.
                                Horrible. Bloody horrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X