This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgive me if I repeat other posts.

In the US, some laws are set on the federal level, but many are reserved for individual states to decide.

18 to vote - this is federal.
    21 to drink - this is technically decided by the states, but the federal government will withhold road funding for any state that does not set a minimum age of 21, so all states did so about 20 years ago.

18 to smoke - I believe this is set by the states individually, but all states have the same smoking age.

Driving ages are set by state. Where I live:
    - 16 to get a learner's permit
    - 16 + passing your road test to get a junior license. A junior license means that in some areas you may drive alone during the day; in others you must have a licensed parent or driving instructor in the car.
    - 18 to get your full license, or 17 if you took a driver ed program through your high school.

Sex/age of consent laws are also set by the state. Where I live, you are free and clear to have sex with whomever you like (same or opposite sex) once you're 16. You can get married at 18, or at 16 with parental consent.

Working age is also set by the state. Where I live, you can work certain limited jobs at 14, and fewer limitations are set at 16. You must have parental permission to work if you're under 18, and there are laws that prevent employers from demanding that you work too many hours on a school day or that you work during school hours.
    I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

In New York, the smoking age is 19
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
      Originally posted by Jonzey
      Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

Marriage laws also vary state to state as well

For instance Nebraska requires people to be at least 17 before they can marry. State law also prohibits people 19 or older from having sex with those under the age of 16.

In Kansas there is no minimum age for marriage in Kansas, but state law requires anyone under 18 wanting to marry to have permission of both parents or a guardian. If there's no parent or guardian, permission from a judge is required. There was a case that a 22 year old took his pregnant 14yr old girlfriend, with parental consent from Nebraska to Kansas to get married, of couse now he's being charged with sexual misconduct, which he really should have been.

Some states allow underage people to get married as long as the bride is pregnant, without parental consent. Just case in Kentucky or Tennesse, where a 35 yr old woman married a 15 or 16 yr old because she was pregnant. I think she's being charged as a pedophile.

Comment

Originally posted by jebus
          In New York, the smoking age is 19
          I stand corrected. It seems there are a few states that set the smoking age at ages higher than 18. I don't pay attention to smoking ages, as I don't smoke and I am somewhat older than 18 anyway.
          I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

Working...
          X