Ok well in australia is

17 both Girls and boys can have sex
    16 Get married (with parental consent)
    16 Can drive a car
    18 Can drink alcohol
    18 Can gamble - lottery, low jackpot fruit machines etc
    18 Can vote
    21 Can stand for parliament

Its depends on which state you are in ages are different this is for south australia
    So, at 16, they can get married, but not have a wedding night?

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
      In the UK
      12 - can buy a pet
      So in the UK, if you're 10, and you buy a pet, they can arrest you?

I don't think there's a legal age limit for buying a pet here in the US. I could be mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
        I really should check out the legal age stuff here in Germany, but i'm too lazy. Any Germans out there willing to help me?
        I try, but I'm not sure....

Germany

14 you can have sex (as long as the person you have sex with is not older than 18)
        16 you can have sex with everyone (just theoretically, of course )
        16 you can buy and drink alkohol (but no spirits..? )
        18 you can drive a car, vote etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
          So in the UK, if you're 10, and you buy a pet, they can arrest you?
          Again, I suspect it would be the seller who was arrested; same as if they had sold tobacco or alchohol to someone under the legal age.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by galaxy
            I try, but I'm not sure....

Germany

14 you can have sex (as long as the person you have sex with is not older than 18)
            16 you can have sex with everyone (just theoretically, of course )
            16 you can buy and drink alkohol (but no spirits..? )
            18 you can drive a car, vote etc.
            Thanks, that was pretty much what I expected.

Except for having sex with everyone - I know you're a permissive lot, but really!!!
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Oh! I forgot to mention

You can vote from the age of 18 in the UK

One thing I really can't fathom is this

you can have sex at 16, but you can't visit a sex shop until you're 18...

...I wonder which one of the above carries a higher risk for young people????
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                Oh! I forgot to mention

You can vote from the age of 18 in the UK

One thing I really can't fathom is this

you can have sex at 16, but you can't visit a sex shop until you're 18...

...I wonder which one of the above carries a higher risk for young people????
                Well, one of the biggest sex shops in London is Lovecraft in Soho.

Ia Ia, Cthulhu ftagn!

Comment

My nephew, Ben, is 19 & doing work experience for a year in Denver & it's been a real shock for him not being able to drink over there. He knew the law, but assumed that it would be like in England, where if you look the right age they'll serve you. No such luck! He's just been back to Brum for a visit to quench his thirst (& see his family of course )
                  I think it's a bit much in the US, expecting people to wait 'til 21 for a drink when you can have sex, drive, go to war, get married etc. Ben says it's to do with the amount of drink related RTAs. Maybe it'd be better if drinking was lowered to 18 & driving was raised to 21! Might help cut pollution
                  Seriously though, I do think the US has got the right idea with ID to get served alcohol. The UK ought to do the same, 18 should mean 18.
                  Oy-Vey!!!

Comment

In most places in my area, you have to show ID to buy most things.

I can't get served in pubs or clubs as I don't have ID.

It does get a bit ridiculous though.

One day, my dad was out walking the dog, and my mum was dying with the flu. She sent me out to get her a beechams powder. The people in the shop (despite knowing me) wouldn't serve me until I provided proof of age. I had to go back home, get a wage slip and my national insurance number, then walk back down and show them both.

I can only get served alcohol in one place, despite the fact they know I'm only 17. They'll only serve me if I'm in with my parents or some people from work. I wouldn't chance it if I wasn't!
                    sigpic
                    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Isn't the legal age for drinking also a state by state law?
                      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

In Canada most of the legal age requirements are the same as the US, except for the drinking age (18, everywhere not just at home).
                        sigpic
                        In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

There are other little things that have age requirements as well. I believe buying model rocket engines has an age requirement, depending on the size of the engine, certain power tools can not be sold to minors (one thing I can think of is a nail gun that uses special .22 calliber shells to drive the nail into concrete), and of course getting a firearms permit. I'm actually not sure what the age requirements are with any of those things, but I'm sure it varies from state to state here in the US. I know the the UK doesn't have an age requirement for owning a firearm, b/c they don't need to worry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                            There are other little things that have age requirements as well. I believe buying model rocket engines has an age requirement, depending on the size of the engine, certain power tools can not be sold to minors (one thing I can think of is a nail gun that uses special .22 calliber shells to drive the nail into concrete), and of course getting a firearms permit. I'm actually not sure what the age requirements are with any of those things, but I'm sure it varies from state to state here in the US. I know the the UK doesn't have an age requirement for owning a firearm, b/c they don't need to worry about that.
                            15 for a shotgun, 21 for anything else (including an air rifle). There are also stringent requirements for the storage of firearms; if you want to keep a weapon on your premises the police have to approve your gun safe and other security measures.

Comment

I did find out the other day that legally stores aren't supposed to sell diet aids to minors. By this I don't mean Slim-Fast or meal replacement bars I mean diet pills. I don't know if that's just in California or if it's a nationwide thing. And I don't think it's very strongly enforced but I saw a sign at the check-out counter at the Rite-Aid earlier this week and it said that they're required by law to determine anyone buying diet pills is of legal age.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Tauri
                                At 16 they only get a Learner's Permit to drive?
                                Oh yeah sorry forgot to say that
                                Try and have as much fun as you can ... you'll never know how long it will last

Comment

Working...
                                X