Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would civilisation recover from a War of the Wolrds style invasion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you can probably guessed I've just finished watching the most recent War of the Worlds movie.

It got me wondering, the invasion was brutal, devestating but certainly not total or so extreme that humanity would have to effectively start again as depicted in other invasion movies.

So with that in mind do you think things would go back to the way they were, i.e. you were expected to turn up to work on Monday etc... (assuming you were in a city that was unaffected and you had a non emergency service or other socially critical job)
    I got nothing!

Easily - only the US is attacked !!!
    (and, well, they'd recover by killing Tom Cruise and be eternally grateful !!!!)

Comment

Martial Law might be imposed for a while, allowing people to see that organisation is being returned, and to stop people rioting in the wake of the disaster.

Clean-up crews would obviously have to take time to remove the Red Weed stuff, remove the Tripods, clear damage, etc. May take a few weeks/months/years. So perhaps travel would be limitted.

People would eventually have to return to work, to receive payment. (or be given new jobs with clean-up crews, if they're current job has been destroyed, rendered unworkable).

Scientists would obviously want to study the alien corpses, and the tripods themselves. The medical industry may increase with anything learnt from their biology. The tripods would increase military technology (death beams, shielding, etc). Computer technology may see an increase from whatever we can reverse engineer from them.

Those alien-wackjob people would increase, claiming that their mother is infact an alien, and her car is a tripod in-disguise. But as always, they'll be ignored.

People would fear a future attack, and possibly wish for a greater military force to be built up, to counter future attacks, and possibly strike back somehow.

World governments would co-operate for a while, but as time goes on, and they see the futility in attacking back (Seeing as they apparantly don't come from Mars anymore), and the chance of a second attack is unlikely, what with our planet actually being inhospitable to them, the governments would return to their previous bickering and warring, this time with death-rays and force-fields now.

Maybe in the wake of disaster, some radicals, or oppertunists would try to seize power, but they'll eventually be squashed by various militaries (as they seemed to be in fighting condition, to an extent). Government leaders were probably evacuated to safe-houses, so the structure of organisation still has leaders to command things.

Comment

It wouldn't take much. Just elect me Imperious God King and send me multitudinous concubines from every continent and I will proclaim mankind to be blessed and on its way to full recovery. Did I mention the concubine part?

Comment

With me as king.
          sigpic

Comment

Humans or the aliens or the dolphins / spiders / rats / platypuses?
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It wouldn't.....next case!
              sigpic
              Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

"Great holy platypuses shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace dolphins.In the name of the Pond Masters, spikes shall be evolved to carry our poisons out amongst the continent, and we will spread Platigin to all the unbelievers."
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                  Martial Law might be imposed for a while, allowing people to see that organisation is being returned, and to stop people rioting in the wake of the disaster.

Clean-up crews would obviously have to take time to remove the Red Weed stuff, remove the Tripods, clear damage, etc. May take a few weeks/months/years. So perhaps travel would be limitted.

People would eventually have to return to work, to receive payment. (or be given new jobs with clean-up crews, if they're current job has been destroyed, rendered unworkable).

Scientists would obviously want to study the alien corpses, and the tripods themselves. The medical industry may increase with anything learnt from their biology. The tripods would increase military technology (death beams, shielding, etc). Computer technology may see an increase from whatever we can reverse engineer from them.

Those alien-wackjob people would increase, claiming that their mother is infact an alien, and her car is a tripod in-disguise. But as always, they'll be ignored.

People would fear a future attack, and possibly wish for a greater military force to be built up, to counter future attacks, and possibly strike back somehow.

World governments would co-operate for a while, but as time goes on, and they see the futility in attacking back (Seeing as they apparantly don't come from Mars anymore), and the chance of a second attack is unlikely, what with our planet actually being inhospitable to them, the governments would return to their previous bickering and warring, this time with death-rays and force-fields now.

Maybe in the wake of disaster, some radicals, or oppertunists would try to seize power, but they'll eventually be squashed by various militaries (as they seemed to be in fighting condition, to an extent). Government leaders were probably evacuated to safe-houses, so the structure of organisation still has leaders to command things.
                  only problem with the imposition of martial law is that it entails the surrender of essential civil liberties.....oftentimes ones that shouldn't be surrendered and governments traditionally don't stop martial law as easily as they start it.....which would result in revolutionary wars against governments that don't return those civil liberties and suspend martial law

Comment

As a farmer of coarse my thoughts go towards what kind of compost would all that red weedy stuff make? But as it was made up from human blood and guts, people wouldn't want it around. So some multi-national huge chem company like Monsanto would collect it all and create a new food stuff to feed the world's hungry and call it "Soylent Red".
                    sigpic

Comment

It would probably be one of the few things that could unite us.

Comment

I don't see it taking more then 10 years to get thngs back to semi normal.

Heck what am I thinking. We aint recovered from Katrina yet.

WERE DOOMED!
                        I like Sharky
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                          It would probably be one of the few things that could unite us.
                          Because it worked so well for the Native Americans.....no, I really doubt that it would. You know what happened after the Aztec fell? The rest of the Mesoamerican nations decided to either fight the Spanish or team up with the Spanish to get help to fight the pesky neighbors. Consequently the same thing took place in Spain when the Moores were pushing the Europeans out of the Iberian Peninsula. Now what if the Spanish left after taking down the Aztec and setting fire to most major city-states? Perhaps war would stop, but then fighting over depleted resources would rise up again. Even during the Mexican War for Independence, Mexicans didn't put up a united fight be it colonists with colonists or natives with natives.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                            Because it worked so well for the Native Americans.....no, I really doubt that it would. You know what happened after the Aztec fell? The rest of the Mesoamerican nations decided to either fight the Spanish or team up with the Spanish to get help to fight the pesky neighbors. Consequently the same thing took place in Spain when the Moores were pushing the Europeans out of the Iberian Peninsula. Now what if the Spanish left after taking down the Aztec and setting fire to most major city-states? Perhaps war would stop, but then fighting over depleted resources would rise up again. Even during the Mexican War for Independence, Mexicans didn't put up a united fight be it colonists with colonists or natives with natives.
                            But all that was humans against humans. Think of us all as siblings. We can fight with our brothers and sisters all we want, but if an outsider tries to fight with our siblings, we join together and fight the outsider. Its the "only I get to hit my brother" thing.

Or, everything is in chaos and i go pillaging raping and plundering all over the place. And yes, i will wear a helmet with horns.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X