This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SGC Sport Channel

This is for all the GW sports fans. A place to talk about your favourite sports, how they might relate to Stragate, for example Boxing, Teal'c seemed to take that on quite well and we all knew Jack loved fishing. Talk about your teams, upcoming events and especially bag coaches and refs. And yes you can even talk about NFL here. Post Vids, scores, rave about individual sports personalities, fantasise if they might have fit in at the SGC, or SGA.

Here is my first the Bathurst 1000 Oct 11, where Holden (GM) finally got back at Ford, with a 1,2,3, 4 win Yeeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaa!

Last edited by puddlejumperOZ; 12 October 2009, 06:41 PM.
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

What about football, you know real football, the proper one, with a round ball and you have to use your feet to actually play it
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
      What about football, you know real football, the proper one, with a round ball and you have to use your feet to actually play it
      I approve of this post

I can never understand why americans call football soccer.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
        I approve of this post

cause we already have a football
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I approve of this post

Why thank you

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
          Aye but you use your hands most of the time so why call it football I was always curious about that
          sigpic

Comment

Why thank you

Aye but you use your hands most of the time so why call it football I was always curious about that
            yu run with your feet and hold the ball??/ i don't know i don't do the naming
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Yes, but "real" football has existed in some form since the times of the ancient Greeks and Romans. The earliest documented use of the english word Football dates back to 1409, when Henry IV issued a proclamation forbidding the levying of money for "foteball".

The earliest evidence that games resembeling modern football were being played at english public schools comes from vulgaria by William Horman in 1516.

Primitive forms of Rugby, all covered by the name "football" were being played in America during the 1840s, at Harvard, Yale and Princeton, stemming partly from Americans that had been educated at English schools.

Sources: Wikipedia - Football Wikipedia - American Football
              Last edited by EvilSpaceAlien; 12 October 2009, 08:51 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

yu run with your feet and hold the ball??/ i don't know i don't do the naming
                Ah but it's called Foot.....Ball I know I'm annoying Blame the Irn-Bru

American football Is kinda like a form of Rugby that's been altered slightly, I wonder why they didn't call it something with the word Rugby in it?
                sigpic

Comment

Ah but it's called Foot.....Ball I know I'm annoying Blame the Irn-Bru

American football Is kinda like a form of Rugby that's been altered slightly, I wonder why they didn't call it something with the word Rugby in it?
                  Yeah, I'm wondering about that too.

It would have been much more logical if it had the word rugby in it. American football probably originates from rugby
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I'm wondering about that too.

It would have been much more logical if it had the word rugby in it. American football probably originates from rugby
                    American Football does indeed stem from Rugby, as does Rugby League. But in fact rugby itself comes from football (soccer to some) when a young lad picked up the ball and ran with it a long time ago.

League originated in the North of england, in the early 1900's, because as Union was ameteur, they wanted to get paid for playing, so became League with a few changes to Union, we had a faster professional game. Football became professional in the 1920's and Union in the 1980's. I don't know when American football became professional. For me, I think Football (especially the Premier League) and Rugby League are the two best ball games played anywhere

Comment

I'm just going to stop talking about Football and Rugby for a moment, and talk about Ice Hockey.

I was watching the NHL with my uncle, and I was confused by the amount of violence in NHL games. The referee didn't even go in and broke up a fight until someones shirt got pulled off. And they call this the worlds most profesional Hockey league? Yeah right. Then we looked at the Russian league, and that is what I call professionalism! Even our small league here in Sweden is better than the NHL. When I occasionally watch Hockey, I watch it for the sport, not the violence.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                        American Football does indeed stem from Rugby, as does Rugby League. But in fact rugby itself comes from football (soccer to some) when a young lad picked up the ball and ran with it a long time ago.

League originated in the North of england, in the early 1900's, because as Union was ameteur, they wanted to get paid for playing, so became League with a few changes to Union, we had a faster professional game. Football became professional in the 1920's and Union in the 1980's. I don't know when American football became professional. For me, I think Football (especially the Premier League) and Rugby League are the two best ball games played anywhere
                        I love Rugby League, can you believe it. A Scot that likes Rugby league Some of the games are just breathtaking

I'm just going to stop talking about Football and Rugby for a moment, and talk about Ice Hockey.

I was watching the NHL with my uncle, and I was confused by the amount of violence in NHL games. The referee didn't even go in and broke up a fight until someones shirt got pulled off. And they call this the worlds most profesional Hockey league? Yeah right. Then we looked at the Russian league, and that is what I call professionalism! Even our small league here in Sweden is better than the NHL. When I occasionally watch Hockey, I watch it for the sport, not the violence.
                        hmmm I don't think we get much Ice Hockey on here, it's not a sport I'm really into anyways
                        sigpic

Comment

I Love Ice hockey. Unfortunately here in Aust, it's very small, but yes as you said the Amercan League is very rough. Sometimes they show the European games on TV here, they seem much more civilised

Comment

Would so much like to see a bit of ref and coach thumping here

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                              Would so much like to see a bit of ref and coach thumping here
                              Oh don't get me started on the Scottish football refs

Leeds Rhinos are the champions

Hey that guy Jarryd Hayne, does he play in the Aussie League?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X