This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9/11 tribute

I thought a thread like this might be appropriate in light of 9/11 tomorrow. To honor everyone lost, and the people we still have in our lives.

If a thread already exists, I'm sorry.

Please don't turn this into a political/war/terrorism debate.

I just want a place where people can give respect to all those lost.

For myself, I was in the 4th grade when this happened. So I was a little lad, I didn't really know what was going on. It didn't hit me until I got older on what had happened.

So, where were you when this occurred? what were you thinking?

But to all those children that have to grow up without parents, or to those parents that have to grow older without their children, my heart and prayers go out to all you guys. To everyone lost on 9/11

I don't know what its like to lose someone you love, and I can't even imagine, so let's all use this time to appreciate the people we still have with us and let them know how much they mean to us.

I can't believe it tommorow...Time has really gotten away from me this year, that is so sad in its way, things tragically fade from you after awhile. Until you remember what it was and what happened, that day comes around again, and you remember in full.

I myself was on the way to school, getting ready to be taken, just woken up, and Dad had the news on as we were getting ready, and then in the car, on the way, I guess I did not have too much idea of what is going on...do not really remember most of that day to be honest.

Comment

I was at work.
      I worked at a local tv station at the time.
      I'd just gotten in and turned on my computer and got the notification of a special report. A plane had hit the world trade center. So i went into master to insure that they'd taken it. and they had. I remember looking at the photo of the building with a hole in the middle and thinking 'how in the hell can you hit something that tall?'

I'd never seen the world trade towers, so i had no idea the scale involved. I thought some idiot in a little private plane had hit a building.

I just went back to my desk and started to get to work. Information started to filter in and then came the report that the second tower had taken a hit. I remember hearing that one happen. We were an NBC affiliate so the today show was on in the lobby adn i remember hearing matt lauer say 'what was that? what just happened?'

My thoughts then was 'omg, we're having a catastrophic failure of the air traffic control system'. I never even though of terrorism.

As more and more people came in and more details came out, then we found about about the pentagon and flight 93, that's when we realized that this was a big deal.

I remember being on the internet, on this very forum (cept we were on Delphi then) and having people talking about what they were seeing. As the tower fell, someone said 'if you have any postcards, better keep them, cause they're collectors items now'

I remember posting that tower two had fallen.

We spent most of the day in limbo. The network was on continuous coverage and i remmber, at first, when it was just the one tower that was hit thinking 'great, we're going to lose all these commercials and we'll be making them up for weeks. what a pita'

It took until 11am or so before we all realized just all that'd happened.

I remember hearing about all the planes being grounded. But there was still one up there, it was Air Force One, flying to Offut AFB in Omaha Nebraska to get the prez to a place of safety. It went over our heads and you could tell cause it was the only bird in the sky (i remember that hte secret service had later realized that they were making the prez a target since anyone could know he was the only bird in the air, so easy to pick out. I'm sure things won't happen the same way if they ever need to seek refuge again)

at work, we made a log for wednesday, that we never used. the same for thursday, although i think we aired an hour of programming, jeopardy and oprah or something like that. Some were pissed at us, others were grateful to have a break from the continuous coverage.

That night, we drove to Manhattan for an errand. We needed to get out of the house and get away from the tv and the footage of people falling, people dying and buildings collapsing.

I was due to fly to Gatecon the next week, and I spent a tense weekend, knowing that the planes wouldn't stay grounded forever, but would they get in the air fast enough for me to make my flight?

I flew to seattle the next week, with only one restructuring of the itinerary. It was the most surreal thing. Got there early, I was one of 20 people on the plane. (and i was flying United too, so 'fun' to fly the hijacked airline), we took off early, landed early, i navigated a mostly empty O'Hare. Got on a lovely big 777. Had my choice of seats, so i spent the flight with my back to the wall and spread out across 3 seats (the plane was maybe 1/3 full)

They served breakfast...and i got a plastic knife and a metal fork and spoon and i remember thinking 'dude, i could do a hell of a lot more damage with this metal fork than i could with a dull butter knife, but it's a symbol of just how knee jerk reactions were, people making laws/rules panicked and made snap decisions without thinking them out.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Rest in Peace from Sydney, Australia
        5 years on Never forgotten
        http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/42...47d8f29839.jpg

Img tags removed, inline pics need to be 700 pixels or less in width

Comment

being an aussie i was in bed when it happened... i was in grade 12 and woken early that morning by the news which dad had on while he was getting ready for work...

below is a song that i listen to every year on sept 11... it is a touching tribute to the terrible events of that day... 8 years on RIP...

"Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)"
          by Alan Jackson

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
          Out in the yard with your wife and children
          Working on some stage in LA
          Did you stand there in shock at the site of
          That black smoke rising against that blue sky
          Did you shout out in anger
          In fear for your neighbor
          Or did you just sit down and cry

Did you weep for the children
          Who lost their dear loved ones
          And pray for the ones who don't know
          Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
          And sob for the ones left below

Did you burst out in pride
          For the red white and blue
          The heroes who died just doing what they do
          Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
          And look at yourself to what really matters

I'm just a singer of simple songs
          I'm not a real political man
          I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
          The difference in Iraq and Iran
          But I know Jesus and I talk to God
          And I remember this from when I was young
          Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
          And the greatest is love

Teaching a class full of innocent children
          Driving down some cold interstate
          Did you feel guilty cause you're a survivor
          In a crowded room did you feel alone
          Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her
          Did you dust off that bible at home
          Did you open your eyes and hope it never happened
          Close your eyes and not go to sleep
          Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
          Speak with some stranger on the street
          Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
          Go out and buy you a gun
          Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching
          And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns
          Did you go to a church and hold hands with some stranger
          Stand in line and give your own blood
          Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
          Thank God you had somebody to love

And the greatest is love

And the greatest is love

The greatest is love
          The greatest is love

"...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Here is a tribute video I found....has some disturbing images
            Spoiler:
            people jumping from the tower

and the person who made the site has some radical statements at the end...but the video and music are quite powerful.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/
            sigpic

Comment

At the time I was working at a Shipping plant I had been at work for 2 hours and had just finished a project and was heading to the restroom to wash my hands. On the way there I walked past the break room where the tv was on and a couple of the management were in there watching. I heard one say "You would think the Poilt would have seen the building it is hard to miss." When I walked out I looked back in the brak room and I stoped and watched as it was said "There is no way that is an accident someone did that on purpose."

I ran back to where I had been working and told the others there about what I had seen. 20 minutes later was break time. By that time we had all heard and people were going back and forth to see what was going on. The whole place was packed in the break room all watching the small tv there was a line for the phones everyone trying to call family and see what everyone one else knew. None of the management was asking for much from us after that. We spent almost the whole day in that break room there was crying and yelling.

I got home that day and went in my room and watched the news for a bit still not really believing what I had seen. I don't remeber falling asleep but I remeber the next day when I woke up. The Sun was shining it was a beautiful day and it took a second to remeber and everything came back.

I thought of the families that were left behind, of the thousands who died, the hero's in United 93, the Firefighters and Police that died toing there job trying to save people. I also thought of my own family and my uncles that were in the military and what that would mean for them.

I have always thought that the sone Some Gave All was a very fitting song.
              Spoiler:
              I knew a man called him Sandy Kane
              Few folks even knew his name
              But a hero was he
              Left a boy, came back a man
              Still many just don't understand
              About the reasons we are free

I can't forget the look in his eyes
              Or the tears he cries
              As he said these words to me

All gave some and some gave all
              And some stood through for the red, white and blue