Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Americans are so hung up on nudity...why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
    "Please... Strip me naked!" Yeah, great last words.
    I think my cat is a nudist; she never had clothes on!

Comment

Americans are so hung up on nudity...why?

Perhaps it something to do waith all the fire an' brimstone preachers in the bible belt?
      American network TV has to be very careful about nudity and suchlike for risk of offending the station affilliates in said bible belt, which could result in the withdrawl of advertising revenue.

But that's just my opinion.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Apparently the American's are up in arms over Capt Jack in Dr Who because he's openly bisexual, what did they expect from the same writer who wrote Queer as Folk

Comment

At least they know that the Doctor's back in business! Now I hope for the sake of the Yanks on here that it'll get screened Stateside in the not-too-distant future!
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Well here's hoping the don't get Confidential there was a nice view of John Barrowman's naked bum *Drool* good veiw even if it was pixilated

Who do you think is the Big Bad Wolf?

Comment

Further to my previous post, do we not think it somewhat ironic that Americans are so scared of seeing nudity on TV and yet they'll permit virtually any act of violence imaginable on the screen?
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                Apparently the American's are up in arms over Capt Jack in Dr Who because he's openly bisexual, what did they expect from the same writer who wrote Queer as Folk
                Weird. I thought the Doctor's comments also showed he might be bi (was there any outrage over that?) but then for a show where you've got aliens as well then dating the same gender isn't at all strange, sort of normal compared to what's out there in the universe. It makes sense in the context of the story to me and apart from that I don't know what the fuss is - on sexuality or nudity from Americans.

I mean, I'm from the UK, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable changing in front of most friends/housemates and always like to make sure my door is closed so they don't walk in but I certainly don't feel weird if family walked in on me showering or changing or anything, same would go for really close friends. Though most of my friends are guys and I'd still prefer them not to see me naked because it's sort about not only not wanting strangers to see my body (privacy) but no other men seeing it either, apart from my fiance. I suppose that last bit is related to nudity being sexual and if I knew there was absolutely no sexual implications then maybe I wouldn't mind, if it wasn't making anyone uncomfortable then I'd not care much, cept I get the feeling most people here aren't necessarily like that.

If it was accidental though I'd be briefly embarassed but it happens. I never saw why 'nipplegate' was so shocking, it's her breast, so what? I guess I feel like the British sensibilites over nudity are for most people quite relaxed compared to American but still not really the same as other European ideas about an appropriate level of nudity or whatever you'd describe it as.

Comment

I often wondered what the problem was with Janet Jackson getting t**s out at the Superbowl, I mean her nipple was covered, god knows we see more than that in The Sun every day, I was talking about this subject to an American friend just after it happened and I sent him a picture of that days Page 3 Stunna, he was shocked that something like that appeared in the paper everyday. I guess it's a case of attitudes

Comment

I often wondered what the problem was with Janet Jackson getting t**s out at the Superbowl, I mean her nipple was covered, god knows we see more than that in The Sun every day, I was talking about this subject to an American friend just after it happened and I sent him a picture of that days Page 3 Stunna, he was shocked that something like that appeared in the paper everyday. I guess it's a case of attitudes
                    And it's a nation that prides itself on "Freedom of speech"...
                    sigpic

Comment

I am an American and while I don't walk around my home nude, it doesn't bother me to see naked people. I think the human body is a work of art that should be appreciated.
                      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Live life for what you have and those you love.

Comment

it was offensive, because there are lots and lots of little kids watching it. and it's not something they need to be exposed to quite yet.
                        Save us from danger, save us from evil
                        Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Actually Justin Timberlake's 'Music' is more offensive than Janet Jackson's flesh, although I saw her at the trial yesterday, her nose is looking more like her brothers than ever

Comment

As BruTak mentioned earlier about the Bible Belt in the US. That is a primary issue these days with nudity. It's origins comes from the Puritians. Many of our founding fathers were Puritians and that religion was central to the Witch Hunts. They views they had influenced society in general. As more and more "outside" influences have changed the US into accepting certain behaviors, there is still that underlying influence. And as long as there is that underlying influence, and that influence has money, there will always be a reluctance to change, for fear of losing that money.
                            No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Haven't most of them been exposed to it since they were less than a day old?
                              And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                              Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                              Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                              Daniel: Oh! You see?
                              Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Oy. Nipplegate was such an over reaction. I couldn't believe it. I mean, I was watching the SuperBowl and I didn't even realize that her bare breast had been showing until all of the bruhaha erupted. So I really don't see how any small children could have been permanently scarred from it. Of course, I'm from California and from the city that has one of the top 10 nude beaches in the United States so my views are probably going to be very different from someone who lives in a less liberal state.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                                X