X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Myth or True ?

This Thread is about The Legend That Is Atlantis

Some people believe It,s True some people believe its just a Myth

Me im not on any side i just study the facts and storys i like that know one knows the truth makes for some really good explanations as to why know one can find it

Atlantis
    The legend of the lost city of Atlantis has been popular for centuries - it appears to have originated with Plato in his tale Critias. It still holds a significant place in the popular imagination and continues to inspire books, movies and even TV series such as Stargate Atlantis. Some people have even wondered if there might be a connection with the TV show Lost.

What Is Atlantis?
    Atlantis is a legendary lost city, possibly an entire continent. It is said to have been submerged beneath the sea, possibly as a result of volcanic activity or a huge earthquake. According to Plato this happened around 9,000 BCE.

What makes the idea of Atlantis so appealing is that it wasn't just any city - it was, so the story goes, the rich heart of a great civilisation. Over the centuries this Atlantean civilisation has been credited with everything from cultural superiority through to secret, ancient wisdom, psi powers and connections with aliens and UFOs. Some people have even suggested that Atlantis was in reality an alien colony.

According to some of these more extreme versions of the Atlantis myth, the Atlantean civilisation could have survived the sinking of their island and continued as an undersea nation. Exactly why such an advanced people should choose to do this is unclear.

Where Was Atlantis?
    The search for Atlantis has occupied many people and no definitive trace has ever been found. Edgar Cayce predicted that Atlantean remains would be found near Bimini Island and this prediction has been connected with the Bimini Road.

Throughout history various theories have been proposed that locate Atlantis all over the globe. Plato himself located it around the Straits of Gibraltar and Spartel Island has been suggested. One of the most popular possible locations is the island of Thera, known today as Santorini.

Spartel Island
    The Spartel theory fits in well with Plato's account, being located in the Straits of Gibraltar. Spartel Island is today 60m below the water, however research published in 2005 suggests that it could have been above the sea until hit by a tsunami around 12,000 years ago. This is roughly consistent with Plato's assertion that Atlantis was destroyed some 9,000 years before he was writing. However Spartel Island appears to have been much smaller than would be expected of Atlantis and no trace of man-made structures has been found.

Thera / Santorini
    According to this theory, the legend of Atlantis is a misreporting of the ancient Minoan civilisation. The Minoans were based in Crete and some 75km to the north of Crete was the island group called Thera (or Thira). Today this is more commonly referred to as Santorini.

The islands that make up Santorini are volcanic. The main volcano erupted massively at some point during the period 1650 to 1600 BCE. This eruption destroyed the main city on the island and the resulting tidal wave and climate changes might have been significant factors in the downfall of the Minoan civilisation. For this theory to be accurate Plato must have been seriously misinformed, having both the location and date wrong.

Does Atlantis Exist?
    Did Atlantis ever really exist? Was it just a folk tale that caught on? Or perhaps just a metaphorical setting invented by Plato? No-one knows.

If there was indeed a civilisation as advanced as the Atlantean one was reputed to be then it is surprising that no confirmed traces have ever been found. However the oceans of the world are very large and there's a great deal down there that we have yet to explore.

Whatever the truth behind the legends, the allure of possible vast riches and ancient wisdom will probably mean that people continue to search for Atlantis for many years to come.

So does anyone else have any other info on this they wish to share?
    Made by the wonderful Lahela

It is extremely unlikely that Plato meant his Atlantis thing as factual. For one, there are no corroborating accounts from sources that do not rely on Plato. Generally speaking, there hasn't been too much interest in Atlantis in antiquity or during the early Middle Ages, and it is only around the 17th century that the Atlantis story began gaining real popularity.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

You can't talk about Atlantis without talking about Lemuria!

There is an incredible amount of detailed information about Atlantis and Lemuria available. Many different scources describe Atlantis as a technologically advanced society and Lemuria as a more spiritual society, meaning the Atlanteans valued science and technology and Lemurians valued spiritual knowledge.

Apparently there was a great war between the two civilizations. The use of nuclear weapons was employed and they brought about the destuction of their continents, which sank into the ocean. The elders knew this would happen centuries before the event, and set about building sanctuaries underground. They were brought into an agrement with the Agarthan network, which is the ''leadership'' of underground cities which already existed. They only were allowed to become part of the network, if the lesson of war and conflict was learned. This happened thousands of years ago.

So they say, that the Atlantean and Lemurian civilizations still exist, underground. Descendants of the Atlanteans are european peoples and the descendants of the Lemurians are the Asian, Native American, and pacific Islander people.

Well thats what I read! Is this true? Many people do believe so. As I have said, there is a suprising amount of information on this subject. Alot of it delves into the spiritual and supernatural, higher evolved and ascended beings and aliens, then starts to get into government conspiracy theories and cover-ups.

It all sounds crazy, right. But I must admit, it is all very interesting!
      sigpic

Comment

no

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
          no
          Im thinking you mean no as in you think its just a Myth why is that ?

Please tell

Comment

An interesting story, but I don't think it's anything more than that. It could very well have been a (perhaps large) island city, or something of the sort that sank in some natural event thousands of years ago. People have the tendancy to exaggerate claims and in this case, I lean more towards this being the case.

One example of this may be something (and forgive me if I'm butchering history here) like when the Europeans came to the Americas with rifles. It's almost a certainty that the indigenous people had no idea what they were, and I vaguely remember them considering guns to be some sort of magic, as they were quite loud and emitted sparks and smoke.

Such tales of the vast superiority of this supposed civilization's technology could easily be misinterpretations that were magnified by exaggeration throughout the centuries.

Until we find really solid evidence of any sort of Atlantean civilization having existed, I think I'll just chalk it up to myth.
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
              An interesting story, but I don't think it's anything more than that. It could very well have been a (perhaps large) island city, or something of the sort that sank in some natural event thousands of years ago. People have the tendancy to exaggerate claims and in this case, I lean more towards this being the case.

One example of this may be something (and forgive me if I'm butchering history here) like when the Europeans came to the Americas with rifles. It's almost a certainty that the indigenous people had no idea what they were, and I vaguely remember them considering guns to be some sort of magic, as they were quite loud and emitted sparks and smoke.

Such tales of the vast superiority of this supposed civilization's technology could easily be misinterpretations that were magnified by exaggeration throughout the centuries.
              Actually, it was an exaggeration, and I think the source of this myth is in Christopher Columbus, and later Hernan Cortes', boastful letters to the Spanish king. In reality, the Native Americans figured the firearms out pretty quickly, and Columbus' boasts that he could conquer all of the Bahamas natives with fifty men were proven pretty stupid when the said natives got pissed off, defeated a Spanish army of thousads and forced the Spanish empire into a formal treaty. Steel armor and horses were much more of a military factor than arquebuses and cannons (although the real killer was smallpox).
              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Well not to sound to cliche here but myths do have a tendency to be based in fact somewhere along the line no matter how minor the original event was. Atlantis though in particular has always had many other myths surrounding it. One for example claims that it was the original home of Igraine, the mother of King Arthur, as well as where Merlin came from and the great Titan Atlas. Certainly these are stories with very little basis in fact. Heroic figures that are said to have come from a lost land are quite good for the purposes of dramatic effect afterall. Though I see no reason why a Island or city could have been lost beneath the waves. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time an entire city had been lost one way or another. Take cities like Pompeii. So I reckon Atlantis did exsist once, or at least the myth of Atlantis was based on another city. Obviously it's doubtful to be an entire continant but certainly an island or a coastal city is very likely.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by SGU Scotsman View Post
                  Im thinking you mean no as in you think its just a Myth why is that ?

Please tell
                  no

Comment

The real core of Atlantean technology that can still be dug up around the earth was far beyond something as simple as weather control. What has attracted the military like carrion is the 'threshold' technology. Some hint of this floated up in the movie 'Stargate', except that the Atlantean version could be called 'Probability Gate'. It's a solid state device (with no selectable 'dial' like the stargate in the movie, for instance) that uses what we think of as time/space as an energy source. The threshold is a lens into probable existence streams, or continua. This area was delved into more deeply with research like the Philadelphia Experiment.
                    This was a good read! Read the whole thing over here.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_10.htm
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GuHNDoi View Post
                      This was a good read! Read the whole thing over here.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_10.htm
                      WOW somebody spent along time writing that lol wow what a headache for me

And SoulRe@ver is it because you really have no clue to why you think its not real because if you dont tell me what you meant by no all just presume u meant you think its a Myth

Comment

Atlantis Myth or True ?
                        No one knows.
                        sigpic
                        Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                          No one knows.

...Rodney does...
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X