This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post

in my area we got 4 inches of pure ice and 3 15 inches snow storms. two fo them in a row
    u have internet at the poles ??

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
      there's internet access at the poles ??

this was back in December. we lost power for 4 days and regained everything else a few days later. (phones,internet)

=it was rough
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by wearetheancients View Post

Natural Temperature Changes + Lecherous Politicians = Global Warming
        And therein lies the problem with relating environmental science to the public.
        Global warming is not as simple as: higher man-made CO2 output --> higher temps --> rising seas.
        Climate change is not a 2, 3, or even 7 step process. It. Is. Massive.
        CO2 is not the only dancer at the global warming party.
        CH4, methane, is a far more effective greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. Methane is produced by digestion (particularly from cows) and organic waste decomposition. The permafrost in places like Alaska contain immense volumes of methane. If the permafrost gets a lot less permanent, that methane is going into the atmosphere. Because of the different rates at which these gases retain heat in the atmosphere, temperature increases due to atmospheric composition are not linear.

And the atmosphere isn't the only thing to consider: light reflectivity comes before atmospheric composition when determining the amount of energy the earth retains from the sun.

As for want of more global warming because of 7 inches of snow, that ignores the fact that it is a global phenomena. So you could get much less snow per year, but at a cost to something else in your area or somewhere entirely different. Like drought or flooding or crop failure.
        Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
        The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
        I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
        A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
        That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
        Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
        Caboose: They could be worse?
        Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

just to point out an opposing point. There are just as many reputable scientists that dispute the time tables, the causes as well the effects of any climate changes going on and whether or not mankind can do anything significant to change it without better data. science of this nature while using concrete data, is still predicting a future. It may be a better informed prediction then what many others can do, but it is still just a prediction and the facts are, even the predominant scientists in this field of study don't agree on the future outcome. So either group could be right. none of us know what the future holds. But we choose to believe whichever group of experts we feel has better information.
          Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
            u have internet at the poles ??
            Yes, we do, even where I am, where we got 16' of snow this winter....I'm sorry ~5m, for you metriphiles

So
            sigpic
            Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
            "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Originally posted by alaskannut View Post
              Yes, we do, even where I am, where we got 16' of snow this winter....I'm sorry ~5m, for you metriphiles
              ya know Nutty, you shouldn't make all those reindeer run on those treadmills just so you can have internet

Santa will need them soon
              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
                The Obama Administration wants to use geoengineering to cool down the Earth to prevent global warming from becoming a big problem. Link to the story here..
                When I heard about hios proposal I cringed...its bad enough we've probably created this situation in the first place, but to actually propose intentional large scale environmental engineering like this when we have such a poor understanding of how the biosphere functions....is just beyond hubris.

I've a lot of respect for Obama over this.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
                  ya know Nutty, you shouldn't make all those reindeer run on those treadmills just so you can have internet

Santa will need them soon
                  Pftttt

But then how are we going to generate power when avalanches take out the mainline*?

*that actually happened twice this winter.......one outage lasted for 2 wks, thank god for diesel
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X