This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ciel View Post
    all spanish language radio and tv and government documents should be banned if you ask me
    For what reason?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      For what reason?
      because s/he thinks foreigners should learn English and not the reverse?

Comment

Radio shows in Spanish instead of English aren't forcing anyone to learn Spanish, and since when did people stop valuing freedom of speech?

Comment

People are perfectly free to say whatever they want to say - in English. Radio and tv frequencies are public property and licensed.

I prefer they be licensed to English speaking organizations. Of course you should be free to print in any language you want - except pancake mix boxes which must be in English only. And anything else I haven't bothered to mention.

Comment

Originally posted by oval View Post
            People are perfectly free to say whatever they want to say - in English. Radio and tv frequencies are public property and licensed.

I prefer they be licensed to English speaking organizations. Of course you should be free to print in any language you want - except pancake mix boxes which must be in English only. And anything else I haven't bothered to mention.
            If there's a big enough audience for them then obviously they are a service to the public.

Comment

Originally posted by ciel View Post
              all spanish language radio and tv and government documents should be banned if you ask me
              The US doesn't have an official language. You have no right or basis to ban media in other languages aside from your own.
              However you feel about immigrants not speaking English, you can't force anyone to learn it.
              sigpic
              http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
              http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                If there's a big enough audience for them then obviously they are a service to the public.
                ...........but .......to the wrong public

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                  The US doesn't have an official language. You have no right or basis to ban media in other languages aside from your own.
                  However you feel about immigrants not speaking English, you can't force anyone to learn it.

true, but there were policies to encourage using and learning English. I myself don't really speak English as well as I'd like.

Comment

This topic is obviously talked out past the point of no return,and despite several warnings from Mods ,some more deletions have had to be made .

Therefore I'm closing this thread down,before any more problems between you guys arise.

Bagpuss
                    GateWorld Moderator.
                    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                    X