X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make me a green man (aka rich man)
    sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

i'm 18 away from my next block yay

Comment

Query: what's the point? I mean, does anyone really get a kick out of having lots of little blocks that they got for no effort? most people's feelings (in any other thread, as far as I've seen) seems to be that the nicest thing about the system is that you get all these fun little comments about something you actually posted. I get more of a buzz from a grey block that is 'worthless' in terms of your rep display but that comments in a friendly way on a post that I spent effort on, than i would on any number of green blocks that I got just for being in a "scratch my back and i'll scratch yours" thread.

Seriously, what's the point?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
          Query: what's the point? I mean, does anyone really get a kick out of having lots of little blocks that they got for no effort? most people's feelings (in any other thread, as far as I've seen) seems to be that the nicest thing about the system is that you get all these fun little comments about something you actually posted. I get more of a buzz from a grey block that is 'worthless' in terms of your rep display but that comments in a friendly way on a post that I spent effort on, than i would on any number of green blocks that I got just for being in a "scratch my back and i'll scratch yours" thread.

well, call it back pay, alot of times even the green on other forums is back scratching
          sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Originally posted by Amann
            well, call it back pay, alot of times even the green on other forums is back scratching
            They are? ... but isn't that reason to try and make more effort to green the really good posts you read regardless of the poster's name? If it's got such pointless corruption in it, then I can see why people would get cynical and opt out, but not why anyone would join in the corruption. Where's the actual FUN in getting or giving greens because you know you'll get them back?

It just seems pointless. Like swapping bits of gravel for bits of gravel. Or posting each other empty envelopes so that it looks like you have lots of correspondents.

Unless I'm missing something.

Madeleine

Comment

I think it's about the giving, not the getting, really, the fact that giving out greens helps you to feel like you helped someone and thsly helps you feel good about yourself. That is what this thread was originally for. and then people return the green to thank you and that makes you feel good that you made other people feel good, eventually mounting ito a green enduced Euphoria. Then you feel like everything is going right and you don't need to worry about anything, up to and including greening.
              Spoiler:
              Before you met me I was a fairy princess
              I caught frogs and called them prince
              And made myself a queen
              Before you knew me I traveled 'round the world
              I slept in castles and fell in love
              Because I was taught to dream

I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top
              To capture tinkerbell
              They were just fireflies to the untrained eye
              But I could always tell

I believe in fairytales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails
              And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles
              And anything I can to get by
              And fireflies...

"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?" -- Doctor Who

Comment

Yeah, but still.... Morbo will come sooner or later. He'll see it then. and react then
                Spoiler:
                Before you met me I was a fairy princess
                I caught frogs and called them prince
                And made myself a queen
                Before you knew me I traveled 'round the world
                I slept in castles and fell in love
                Because I was taught to dream

I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top
                To capture tinkerbell
                They were just fireflies to the untrained eye
                But I could always tell

I believe in fairytales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails
                And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles
                And anything I can to get by
                And fireflies...

"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?" -- Doctor Who

Comment

Originally posted by Gatemage
                  the fact that giving out greens helps you to feel like you helped someone
                  *That's* the bit I don't get - how is it helping someone to give them a green for no reason? The only value I can see to the greens is the little message that comes with it. I really treasure those, even the one-word ones, cos they say something about my posts, they show that my post made someone pleased. There's nothing esle that a green can do other than tell you that your post made them think/laugh/happy/relieved etc - at least, from where I sit.

I really think I'm missing something here. I should probably give up trying.

Madeleine

Comment

Bring it on!

Comment

I think she was concerned he wouldnt see it.....it got deleted ....and ermmm...shopsmart..I'd be careful....lol
                      You can never really know some completely. That's why it's the most terrifying thing in the world, really - taking someone on faith, hoping they'll take you on faith too. It's such a precarious balance, it's a wonder we do it at all. And yet...
                      -Libba Bray

Comment

It makes me feel good to give plus I can put fun stuff in the message.
                        sigpic

Comment

*That's* the bit I don't get - how is it helping someone to give them a green for no reason? The only value I can see to the greens is the little message that comes with it. I really treasure those, even the one-word ones, cos they say something about my posts, they show that my post made someone pleased. There's nothing esle that a green can do other than tell you that your post made them think/laugh/happy/relieved etc - at least, from where I sit.

I really think I'm missing something here. I should probably give up trying.
                          people make plenty of posts here that make me laugh and smile...it really isnt tecnically free green...but I agree with you getting green doesnt feel as good without a good reason...thats why besides from today Ive limited my posts here...I like getting little messages they make me happy..
                          You can never really know some completely. That's why it's the most terrifying thing in the world, really - taking someone on faith, hoping they'll take you on faith too. It's such a precarious balance, it's a wonder we do it at all. And yet...
                          -Libba Bray

Comment

Originally posted by Amann
                            That is very true. There was the rep-wars in the everything, the universe etc thread. People were sticking in rep silly things to annoy each other in the last person to reply wins thead. Some ppl always give back when greened and a lot of the time ppl green randomly and because they like someone.

Also it's a good way to meet lots of nice ppl to chat with about stargate, rep and anything else which keeps me coming back. Rep can be the bases of quite an interesting conservation. It's all just good fun.
                            sigpic

Comment

They are? ... but isn't that reason to try and make more effort to green the really good posts you read regardless of the poster's name? If it's got such pointless corruption in it, then I can see why people would get cynical and opt out, but not why anyone would join in the corruption. Where's the actual FUN in getting or giving greens because you know you'll get them back?

It just seems pointless. Like swapping bits of gravel for bits of gravel. Or posting each other empty envelopes so that it looks like you have lots of correspondents.

Unless I'm missing something.
                              Not it's not empty, that's the difference. It adds to blocks, can contain messages and it's meaningful because the person wants to green someone. Also as I said it's very fun and after all the problems I've had with a lot of ppl on GW, it makes a change to meet a thread full of friendly ppl.
                              sigpic

Comment

Good morning greenlings! Squeen!

Comment

Working...
                                X