Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people in other countries think of the U.S.?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only people here that say "about" like "aboot" are Newfies.

Newfies. >:|
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

The Urban Spaceman, I know the attitude you described, and I am not that fond of it either. As you said, it is one thing to be proud of one's country and try to explain why things are done as they are done, and another thing to enter the HOW DARE YOU MOCK MY WONDERFUL COUNTRY YOU COMMUNIST PIG-DOG etc. etc. mode when something not that pleasing is being said

It is just that the stereotypes thing isn't even closes of actually giving or getting criticized. People take certain pride of the stereotype, even if the stereotype isn't anything to be proud of (like drinking a lot). Sometimes someone complains a bit if they disagree, but generally the 'crazy' things are not thought to be bad. Again, it is one thing to be said to be able to drink 8 beers and play Slayer with an air guitar and make no mistakes, and another thing to practically be blamed by letting the poor people die from whatever sickness they happen to get. Because of this, I don't think these things (and reactions created by them) can be compared in this manner.

Oh, the media I can't say much about news (I don't follow US news that closely) but I am a bit surprised how openly, hmm, propaganda-like many US tv shows are.

For example, lately my main source of laughs has been sitcom American Dad!. The show itself is hilarious ( Roger! ) but it often makes me think how people in US would reach and treat something similar if it didn't take place in US. If you don't know the show, just watching intros (old and new http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn-EzHbcEfU ) gives a hint about how it works.

I mean, just tweak it in your head so that is about a family in, say, near-east, where the father works for local secret service that has a ton cool futuristic tech. Instead of Jesus and Statue of Liberty there would a photo of local religious leader and iconic building, in the lyrics the Sun salutes the whatever race and so on. Would it really be seen just as a funny sitcom?
      (Before anyone mentions it: I know the song is sung by Stan, and it is from his patriotic perspective. I understand those things are not presented as facts, and the characters are flawed, but then what? It is just a way to make the characters and stuff more human-sized, not untouchable heroes. )

Comment

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post

It is just that the stereotypes thing isn't even closes of actually giving or getting criticized. People take certain pride of the stereotype, even if the stereotype isn't anything to be proud of (like drinking a lot).
        I dunno, I somehow doubt that the Welsh and the Kiwis are proud of their stereotypes.

At any rate, I understand what you're saying. I think some of the problem stems from the fact that it's hard to see the entire picture when you're right in the middle of it. When outsiders look at the picture, they see different things. For example, where I live, if you ask people what's wrong with this country, they'll tell you 1) Useless government, 2) Not enough jobs, 3) Teenage hooligans, and probably 4) Immigrants. In many western European countries, people tend to be aware of the flaws even when they're proud of the good things they have. And even when they don't know how to rectify the flaws, they're usually a bit embarrassed by them.

What I seem to be picking up from some Americans (even some on this very forum, who shall remain nameless) is that it's very unpatriotic to even think that your country has flaws, and that to give voice to them merely makes one a dangerous deviant or a conspiracy theorist. National pride is replaced by blind obedience, and the people who are told by their government and their media that America is great and free and bastion of truth and justice, believe what they are told and repeat it, never realising that the view from outside the picture frame is not the same as the one from inside it.

I think it was Winston Churchill who said; "The whole history of the world is summed up in the fact that, when nations are strong, they are not always just, and when they wish to be just, they are no longer strong."

Then again, he also said, "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they’ve tried everything else." He had a caustic sense of humour, at times.
        Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Working...
        X