This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
    You wont just become dirt. Lets not forgot that at any one time you could have an infinate number of recycled particles in your body. At any one time you could have part of einstiens liver, napoleans scrotum, Your parents brains...Because humans replace every particle in thier body during thier life times, chances are that your made up of something that has passed through just about everyone else that has ever lived. Recycling and the circle of life
    Quoted for awesomeness.

I wonder how much of Jesus's pee we drink in our lifetimes. I mean it got reabsorbed into the groundwater, ranoff into rivers/lakes/oceans and then evaporated and rained only to be consumed again. I feel alittle more holy now.....

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
      But it is a belief system. You believe there is no God.
      No, I do not. I lack a belief in a deity, any deity. There is a huge philosophical difference between the statements "I believe there is no God" and "I do not believe in God."

If a person didn't have something to believe in then they would have no reason to exist.
      Again incorrect, I don't believe in anything. Not in the way that people believe in God. Using a different and more loose definition of the word 'belief' then you could possibly say I believe in Science. But no, in the way that people believe in God, I do not believe in anything.

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
      If you don't have a belief basis, you have no purpose or reason for living. Everyone has a belief, whether it's in a divine being or not, it's a belief.
      I do not have a belief, I create my own purpose for living. I don't rely on the purpose handed out by the inane ramblings of a 2000 year old jewish preacher.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
        Quoted for awesomeness.

I wonder how much of Jesus's pee we drink in our lifetimes. I mean it got reabsorbed into the groundwater, ranoff into rivers/lakes/oceans and then evaporated and rained only to be consumed again. I feel alittle more holy now.....
        Origionally it was jesus's scrotum lol. But yes its true, everything in the world is make up of a finite number of particles, each one is over time either replaced or recycled to become componants in an equally finite number of things. If you drink a glass of water, chance are that something in there was drunk by someone famous, or has travelled through the body of another person.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

If a person didn't have something to believe in then they would have no reason to exist.
          Most people aren't that pathetic.

Comment

But it is a belief system. You believe there is no God.
            No, it's a lack of a belief system. You don't even have to know what a 'god' is to be an atheist, as we're all born one.

Comment

How about the fog in the SGA episode "Home"?
              big deal...each time the gate was dialled it siphoned their energy killing some of them in the process
              in a way they were even inferior to humans
              Last edited by SoulReaver; 26 February 2008, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                No, they would act just like Kinsey at the end of season one and run around flapping their arms screaming jesus will save us, meanwhile huge alien spaceships are on their way to kill us all. Science is incompatible with faith unless you water either down so far its like giving free hugs to everyone.
                Kinsey was deliberately being sarcastic and hypocritical. He was saying that (in what ever episode) to make himself look better. He wasn't a Christian, nor can it be taken literally that he was meant to be a Christian.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsnag View Post
                  No, I do not. I lack a belief in a deity, any deity. There is a huge philosophical difference between the statements "I believe there is no God" and "I do not believe in God."

Again incorrect, I don't believe in anything. Not in the way that people believe in God. Using a different and more loose definition of the word 'belief' then you could possibly say I believe in Science. But no, in the way that people believe in God, I do not believe in anything.

I do not have a belief, I create my own purpose for living. I don't rely on the purpose handed out by the inane ramblings of a 2000 year old jewish preacher.
                  It's no more inane than you making a purpose for your own life and believing that when you're dead, you're done.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

False. It's a hell of a lot more sensible to dedicate your life to what you want to, and come to the logical conclusion about death, than devote your live to a fairytale dreamt up hundreds of years ago.

Comment

oh, to answer the OP I would continue believing the same thing, just a different interpretation.

Athiesm is a lack of Religion. It is not a Religion and I agree that we are all Born Athiest.

Religion is not my reason for existence. It is my reason to not give up on my reason for existence. It is now a part of me. Nothing short of conversion can change my mind. It'd be like trying to change me into a dog.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      False. It's a hell of a lot more sensible to dedicate your life to what you want to, and come to the logical conclusion about death, than devote your live to a fairytale dreamt up hundreds of years ago.
                      Is it a Fairytale or way of life? Does inner peace have to come from Science and fact? Or can it come from truth of soul and mind? Must we conform to the fear of these "fairytales" bing Dreamt up by a Jewish preacher 2000 years ago, or a Arabic Prophet 1400 years ago. Or a Hindu 2500 years ago? Or an Indian society 5000 years ago? Or a group of landless Travelers 5000 years ago?

What if The Christian life is what I want? What if in my Heart and every fiber in my body pulls me to want to do as the Lord, no, as MY Lord says. What if I desire to live under his wisdom instead of the Media(not that you live by what the Media says). Is it that wrong to believe in these "fairytales"? If I were to leave my faith and go unpunished, I would suffer. Every part of me would be sick. Not by Gods doing, but by my own doing.
                      That is free will. That is Faith. That is my Dream, my motivation and my way.
                      So sue me for that.
                      [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                      HARRIMAN
                      I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                      [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                      HARRIMAN
                      So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-25CSAR View Post
                        oh, to answer the OP I would continue believing the same thing, just a different interpretation.

Athiesm is a lack of Religion. It is not a Religion and I agree that we are all Born Athiest.

Religion is not my reason for existence. It is my reason to not give up on my reason for existence. It is now a part of me. Nothing short of conversion can change my mind. It'd be like trying to change me into a dog.

Is it a Fairytale or way of life? Does inner peace have to come from Science and fact? Or can it come from truth of soul and mind? Must we conform to the fear of these "fairytales" bing Dreamt up by a Jewish preacher 2000 years ago, or a Arabic Prophet 1400 years ago. Or a Hindu 2500 years ago? Or an Indian society 5000 years ago? Or a group of landless Travelers 5000 years ago?

What if The Christian life is what I want? What if in my Heart and every fiber in my body pulls me to want to do as the Lord, no, as MY Lord says. What if I desire to live under his wisdom instead of the Media(not that you live by what the Media says). Is it that wrong to believe in these "fairytales"? If I were to leave my faith and go unpunished, I would suffer. Every part of me would be sick. Not by Gods doing, but by my own doing.
                        That is free will. That is Faith. That is my Dream, my motivation and my way.
                        So sue me for that.
                        No offense intended, but I honestly believe most that cling to religion do so out of fear or indoctrination. Maybe not you, but many others. I think they look at the possibility of a God, of a way out of death and into something more, and force themselves to believe with every fiber of their being so they have a chance to cheat the end.

I mean, think about it. Most people that are religious will stuff their ears to avoid theological debate, mainly because they don't want to hear anything that may sway them. And why would they be swayed unless they themselves doubted their faith?

My own belief is that a God in our texts is simply illogical to the point of dumb. I mean, there's a whole universe out there so vast that we're less than a grain of sand on an Earth-sized world. Why, why, why would any God bless only one planet among the billions with life? Why would he limit the greatest gift of all to just one place in all Creation? There is no reason. We were just a lucky accident here on Earth, one that hopefully got repeated elsewhere.
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

There should just be a law on GW where we can't discuss religion. It always starts out civil. Then in just a page or two it turns into WW III. Both sides calling the other stupid, irrational, godless, illogical, heathens, etc..... I'm a Christian and will be one till I die and go to Heaven. I learned a long time ago that beating the opposition over the head with your opinions isn't going to change their minds. That goes for everybody, spiritual and non-spiritual. Fellow believers, we're supposed to show love and kindness to those disagree with us. I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't defend your faith, but God does not want any of his children to be forced into believing in him. Their lack of belief doesn't diminish your own or God. Non-believers, what does it matter if someone believes in God or not. Does their belief effect you? I'm just saying if you were sitting next to a believer on the bus or something, does the fact that they believe really matter. If your right and there is no God, then what does it matter? If there is nothing else, what is wrong with a person living a life through a belief that makes them a better person? Why can't we just respect each others beliefs and be nice to one another? We've got to agree to disagree.

P.S. No, the existence of alien life in the universe would not effect my belief. The size and vastness of the universe has always led me to think that there might be extraterrestrial life. The size and vastness of the universe also helps me stand in awe of God and his creation.
                          sigpic
                          "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            No offense intended, but I honestly believe most that cling to religion do so out of fear or indoctrination. Maybe not you, but many others. I think they look at the possibility of a God, of a way out of death and into something more, and force themselves to believe with every fiber of their being so they have a chance to cheat the end.
                            None taken and true. If it's only for living after death, then your heart is not in it and your intentions are not pure. I think king David said it best in all his Psalms, To be close to God, To Love God. Salvation is just one the last step to reach that gaol. After all "For in Death there is no remembrance of you. In the Grave, who will give you thanks?" Psalms 6:5

I mean, think about it. Most people that are religious will stuff their ears to avoid theological debate, mainly because they don't want to hear anything that may sway them. And why would they be swayed unless they themselves doubted their faith?
                            Once agian, I Agree. In my church we are taught to seek out the Religious and Talk about our fiaths. To listen others and to give testimony about our faith. I have spoken to Musilms, Murmens, Pentecostals, and a few Baptists. I only had a small chat with a semi religious Jew, and 1 or 2 atheists. We are also encourage to not interfere in a science curse no matter what. That we are study and learn all material that we need to learn. We have even been encouraged to visit other churches when invited. Why? to insure total free will and desire to serve God, to be close to him.

My own belief is that a God in our texts is simply illogical to the point of dumb. I mean, there's a whole universe out there so vast that we're less than a grain of sand on an Earth-sized world. Why, why, why would any God bless only one planet among the billions with life? Why would he limit the greatest gift of all to just one place in all Creation? There is no reason. We were just a lucky accident here on Earth, one that hopefully got repeated elsewhere.
                            The bible only tells us what we need to know. Knowing if others have this chance or a deferent path will not help us. We don't need to know.
                            He gave Humanity a path. We gain nothing knowing if other paths exist for others.
                            "But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain you. How much less this Temple which I have?". That's from the Bible. It means that there is plenty to go around in a Vast and massive universe.
                            on a side note
                            It also means that any alter we make for God can't even begin to be remotely good enough for him. It is not the temple, not us but his mercy. All we do is receive from God, his mere acknowledgment of us is more what we can ask for.
                            Last edited by SG-25CSAR; 31 October 2007, 02:11 PM. Reason: Minor changes
                            [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                            HARRIMAN
                            I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                            [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                            HARRIMAN
                            So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                              I have no need to believe in a greater power. I believe in science.
                              How does one "believe" in an instrumental discipline that is by definition incapable of and uninterested in answering existential questions?
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                                How does one "believe" in an instrumental discipline that is by definition incapable of and uninterested in answering existential questions?
                                How does one "prove" that a being that is by definition uncomprehensible and, literally, magical can exist at all or do what he claims to?

EDIT: Forgot to finish the sentence...
                                Last edited by s09119; 31 October 2007, 02:20 PM.
                                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                                X