X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    Wow... but no.

Carbon-14 dating is very reliable, and has been for some time now. We can date anything that has carbon based on the number of half-lifes that have occured in it, and since most everything organic (or once was organic, and a lot that wasn't, ever) has carbon, it can work on just about anything.

Now, the Earth is far older than a few million years. We know just just by simple logic. Look at how long it takes for a single centimeter of rock to pile up on a cliff-face. Then go count the number of centimeters of rock that stretch down the cliff, say in the Grand Canyon. The number you'll get is going to be pretty D*MN big.
    All true.
    That is a much better way of typing it compared from how i was trying to say it (somewhere above). Not only dose it take years of a cm of rock to form, a good exsample being chalk, which is made up of thousands of years of near microscopic sea creature fossils, Take that fact then look up on Google for a picture of the white cliffs on Dover and try think how many years it must have takern for tiny sea creature fossils to make that. Then add the fact that most of southern England is made of that same chalk! Thats alot of years!

Finally adding to the years you have to count the Earth being formed. Our sun may still be young but thats still along time! It would have taken millions if not dillions of years for the Earth and moon to form from dust and loss rock, then another dillion or so years to start cooling, then another dillion or so for little by little have water vapour come to earth on astiroids eventually forming seas and oceans! then i would say another long gap untill finally organic elements form togther to make the 1rst life, most likly my mistake.

Then zoom back in time even more and think that inorder or Earth to be made a sun b4 are current one must have gone supernova and created a nebula! There4 are solar system may not have even been the 1rst version of it. So that in itself would be like a zillion years for that solar system to form then go supernova, then start to rebuild itself by the act of gravity forming are current solar system.

Thats alot more than 7days! But again i have to state thats just how I view it!

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
    Also, how do you know humans evolved? The fossil records for these "neaderthals" are fake. Google it. Extensively.
    They are not fake! I have seen a skull of one!

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    How about we drop this subject as neither of us are gonna step down and at this point, continued discussion is useless. You're not seeking to prove that homosexuality is a choice. You're instead putting the burden of evidence on me to prove it's a choice despite that fact that IIRC, you were the one who brought up the choice-part in the first place.
    Finally i don't even want to get into this "is being gay natural?" argument. I am not gay and don't care if others around me are, just as long as they know i am not.
    Last edited by MechaThor; 06 November 2007, 07:27 AM.
    sigpic
    Banner Made By Me for Me
    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

"Rational arguments don't really work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people."

How people still refuse to accept the facts and cling blindly to their religions even in this age is completely beyond me. Science will provide all the answers to our fundamental questions in due time, whereas faith in God has never been about proof, hence why it is called faith. And before you go calling atheists or otherwise non-religious people nazis, I would remind you that religion has caused more wars than anything else. Crusades, Jihad, anyone?

You would blindly believe in a deity of whose existence there is no proof? Way to go.

Oh, about Freud, please, cite one article where a psychologist calls him a nutbag? In case you didn't know, Freud was the one who developed the concept of Psychoanalysis and some of the earlier definitions of subconscious, superego and ego itself. While psychologists do admit that Freud put too much of an emphasis on sexuality, they do agree that it was understandable considering that in the time when Freud lived and developed these theories, sexuality was a taboo.
      Last edited by Saurfang; 06 November 2007, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurfang View Post
        Oh, about Freud, please, cite one article wherea psychologist call him a nutbag? In case you didn't know, Freud was the one who developed the concept of Psychoanalysis and some of the earlier definitions of subconscious, superego and ego itself. While psychologists do admit that Freud put too much of an emphasis on sexuality, they do agree that it was understable considering that in the the time when Freud lived and developed these theories, sexuality was a taboo.
        I called him a nutbag in the context of his views on sexuality. An-Alteran was using Freud and the Kinsey reports as "proof" of "innate bisexuality". What I meant was that Freud's views on sexuality were pretty messed up.

While he pioneered a lot of stuff, he also had certain nutbag qualities to him and said qualities are today rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          Wow... but no.

Carbon-14 dating is very reliable, and has been for some time now. We can date anything that has carbon based on the number of half-lifes that have occured in it, and since most everything organic (or once was organic, and a lot that wasn't, ever) has carbon, it can work on just about anything.

Now, the Earth is far older than a few million years. We know just just by simple logic. Look at how long it takes for a single centimeter of rock to pile up on a cliff-face. Then go count the number of centimeters of rock that stretch down the cliff, say in the Grand Canyon. The number you'll get is going to be pretty D*MN big.
          1, explain a half-life. Because it seems kinda odd that you would use a half-life to figure out the full life of something. How can you knwo a half-life if you don't know the full life?
          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life

Wikipedia first, ask later.

Comment

1, explain a half-life. Because it seems kinda odd that you would use a half-life to figure out the full life of something. How can you knwo a half-life if you don't know the full life?
              1. What FallenAngelII said.

2. A half-life is the time it takes for one-half of the radioactivity of a substance to decay. For example, the half-life of Carbon-14 (the most common type of carbon, present in almost everything) is about 5700 years.

So let's say we have a fossil. If said fossil has 10 mg of carbon in it, but only exactly 5.0 mg of it is radioactive, than we know that only one half-life has passed (because only one-half of the sample is non-radioactive). Therefore, it's age is 5700 years old.

(Btw, I'm not exactly sure on the half-life of Carbon-14, but I know it's somewhere around 5700. If someone knows the exact figure, just replace my 5700s with that figure.)
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

"Rational arguments don't really work on Black people, otherwise there would be no Blackpeople."

How people still refuse to accept the facts and cling blindly to their Free Black people Ideas even in this age is completely beyond me. Science will provide all the answers to our fundamental questions in due time, whereas faith in God has never been about proof, hence why it is called faith. And before you go calling atheists or otherwise non-black people nazis, I would remind you that black people has caused more crime than anything else.Rap, Drivebys, anyone?

You would blindly believe in black culture of whose existence there is no use foe? Way to go.

Just thought I'd color it up a little. Oh, and the Crusades were in response to Arabic Invasions in Southern Spain and invasions in Eastern Byzantine Empire. International Alliances on the level needed were not around at that time so the Church was used to recruit an army akin to that of NATO to fight against a common enemy.
                Islam does not support Bin laden's Jihad. It is an Idea of a crazy man who wants to feel like a hero. Many wars need excuses and just like everything else used by Man, Religion is misused. I believe that Science is responsible for 9/11. After all, who made planes? the Pope? Nope, a Scientist. Religion and Science anwser 2 different questions. How, and Why. How was the universe made(came to be as is)-Science. Why or for what purpose or What is its point- that is for Religion.
                Not to mention inner peace...And God...
                Oh, about Freud, please, cite one article where a psychologist calls him a nutbag? In case you didn't know, Freud was the one who developed the concept of Psychoanalysis and some of the earlier definitions of subconscious, superego and ego itself. While psychologists do admit that Freud put too much of an emphasis on sexuality, they do agree that it was understandable considering that in the time when Freud lived and developed these theories, sexuality was a taboo.
                um, you are argueing with people on your side with that statement.
                [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                HARRIMAN
                I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                HARRIMAN
                So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life

Wikipedia first, ask later.
                  fixed the link for you

Comment

FAII-
                    Lets get one thing strait, I don't hate gay people. I respect or try to respect everyone equally, Love thy Neighbor. I just believe a certain way about the subject. If you accept me for my beliefs and for who I am I'll do the same. A simple agreement, That you understand that I have my reasons for Believing in what I believe and with an open mind one can see that they are reasonable. I Understand the same for you, You have good reason to believe what you Believe, they just don't convince me, and I don't blame you fir believing the things you do. What else are you to believe?

s09119-
                    Science ignores the supernatural. Therefore it is logical that its answers contradict Religion at times. If you want I could PM you my own take on Scientific theories with a Religious interpretation of the evidence. Then you can quote what you wish. In other words, I feel that Science is biased when it comes to Religion. In the sense I don't blame an Atheist for feeling or thinking(Belief won't be the right word) the way they do.
                    If I didn't believe in God I would be on your side of the debate.

I only ask that you understand That I have Valid reasons to Believe.
                    The thing that starts me on these debates are the people who go of to call faith a Fantasy and fairy tales. It is insulting. I just want respect, I what you to understand that I have faith cause the evidence for it is more than enough for me.

Mechathor-same for you, Just thanks for your respect.

Womble-
                    Great points, I couldn't argue these thing any better myself.

Saurfang- you seem like an unreasonable dude. sad, really.

I just feel that some of these things need to be pointed out.
                    [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                    HARRIMAN
                    HARRIMAN
                    So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Comment

Of course science seems biased towards religion, science is about learning about reality and finding the answers, whereas religion is about deluding yourself into thinking you already have them.

Islam does not support Bin laden's Jihad.
                      "...make war on the leaders of unbelief...Make war on them: God will chastise them at your hands and humble them. He will grant you victory over them..." (Surah 9:12-)

"Slay them wherever you find them...Idolatry is worse than carnage...Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme." (Surah 2:190-)

Comment

half life is the amount of time for a sample of radioactive material to decrease in intensity by half, or for the number of radioactive atoms to decrease by half. it is not dependent on the amount of radioactive material.

T1/2=ln2/x
                        where x is the decay constant for that perticular radioactive isotope
                        sigpic
                        http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                        http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                          half life is the amount of time for a sample of radioactive material to decrease in intensity by half, or for the number of radioactive atoms to decrease by half. it is not dependent on the amount of radioactive material.

T1/2=ln2/x
                          where x is the decay constant for that perticular radioactive isotope
                          Which begs another question: How does one determine the half-life of something if that half-life is, say for carbon, somewhere around 5700 years? How does one know how many radioactive atoms there are to begin with? Or is that something that can be observed? Anyway,

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          Of course science seems biased towards religion, science is about learning about reality and finding the answers, whereas religion is about deluding yourself into thinking you already have them.
                          Uh, to which religions are you referring? Because Christianity definitely isn't about deluding yourself into thinking you have all the answers.
                          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Which begs another question: How does one determine the half-life of something if that half-life is, say for carbon, somewhere around 5700 years? How does one know how many radioactive atoms there are to begin with? Or is that something that can be observed? Anyway,
                            If you take 10 mgs of rock and only 5 mgs of said rock is radioactive, then it's gone through an entire half-life and is at least 5700 years old (but not older than 11399 years). The half-life of carbon 14 is always 5700 years, no matter what kind of substance it is you're working with, if you're using carbon 14 dating, it's 5700.

I only 2.5 mgs of said rock is radioactive, then it's gone through two half-lives and is at laeast 11400 years old. And so on and so on and so on and read the Wikipedia-page first, ask questions afterwards.

Carbon 14 is present almost... oh, read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              Have what answers?
                              Who are you? Forget names and titles, who are you? I would like to see if Science can answer that.
                              What is the truth?, What is the truth about? Who are we as a people? Why bother living after we are no longer able to bare children and said children have grown?
                              What good and what is bad?
                              What is Morality?
                              What is a soul?
                              Why this, all of this?
                              What is the point to life?
                              How can I be at peace with myself?
                              How should I live, who should I become?
                              Why should I care?
                              How do I better myself, and why should I?
                              Where Do I belong?
                              What is my purpose in life?
                              Who do I serve?
                              Why do I wanna know anything other than how to live?
                              What is Faith, real deep faith?
                              Where Am I going?
                              How should I get there?

To answer these Questions hundreds of millions have turned to Religion. Many have found their answers. Science has barely answered them and is not meant to. I found mine through Christ. I am Christian and I am grateful for it.
                              "...make war on the leaders of unbelief...Make war on them: God will chastise them at your hands and humble them. He will grant you victory over them..." (Surah 9:12-)

"Slay them wherever you find them...Idolatry is worse than carnage...Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme." (Surah 2:190-)
                              [/QUOTE]
                              That's not Jihad nor do those texts use that word. they could mean to Slay them spiritually by casting down their "Lies". Fight as in debate. War as in Debate preaching and so on. But one thing about that book is that it was written completely different than the Bible. I don't Agree with it. I find it against the god of Israel. I have spoken to a Muslim, about Religion. Just like Europe did a long time ago, the Governments of the Middle East make the people, to witch a Quran is a rare thing for a peasant to have, think what is convenient.

Religious intolerance can be a bad thing. It blinds you. Do you really know what these wars are really about? It is a clash of Cultures. A clash of Traditions and not beliefs. It is a violent argument about 2 different ways of life and not 2 different Faiths. It is about a People wanting to be free in their own land, yet they are hated by those that moved in to their land. It is a war between Hebrews and Arabs, not Between Jews and Muslims. A war that the US and Europe got into cause they couldn't mind their own business. Not cause they are Christian. Many Zionists aren't even Religious Jews, they are secular. This whole thing is a giant and complicated mess. It is pretty ignorant to delude your self and blame Religion as if it were that simple. Can Science help in that area? No, It can only make BOMBS!!!
                              Score for science!

Then you ask your self Why did I chose Christianity?
                              Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:38-39)...Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite fully use you, and persecute you. (Matthew 5:38-44)
                              Delusional, huh?
                              Christs sword is his word. The Word of God is the Truth. Our war is against Forces that are not Flesh nor Blood. Our army's weapons include, Kindness, Faith, Mercy/Charity, Love, and the Bible. Is that so wrong?
                              HARRIMAN
                              HARRIMAN
                              So, um…

Comment

i belive that there is a greater being a greater power lets say and i belive that there is something after dead with it be a higher plane off life or not but as for aliens seeding life on earth thats just sci-fi but that doesn't mean to say that i don't belive there aliens out there just that they didn't seed the human race on earth
                                sigpic

now when you wake up like this in the morning you know you've had a good night

Comment

Working...
                                X