Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there were more pressing problems to be honest, like protecting Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      I think there were more pressing problems to be honest, like protecting Britain.
      Indeed. Besides the obvious fact that Auschwitz was in Poland. It makes no sense to send bomber command units that far behind enemy lines. It would be a suicide mission, remember that Lancasters were in very short supply.
      The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

Comment

Originally posted by the_dark_light View Post
        I suspect that Hitler would've fallen eventually, since Germany would not be able to defeat Russia.
        You are forgetting an important part of the war: Japan. Without the US taking care of Japan, the Japanese might have turned on Russia meaning the Soviet Union would have had a war on two fronts, making it harder to crush Germany.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          How would a change of immigration policies interfere with protecting Britain?

Originally posted by the_dark_light
          It makes no sense to send bomber command units that far behind enemy lines. It would be a suicide mission, remember that Lancasters were in very short supply.
          They sent bombers (and transports) that far behind enemy lines as a matter of routine. Bombing runs on German oil refineries at times flew a good deal of their way along the very railways that led to the death camps. The Polish Resistance was routinely supplied from the air.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

Without America opening the second front in France, Hitler could have moved all of his forces into Russia. Eventually, they simply would have overwhelmed the Russian forces, or at the very least held them until spring.

It was only because of the Allied offensive (thanks to America's timely assistance) that the Western Front was opened and sucked troops away from the East. I think you severely understate the impact that had on the war.

(I'm America, but I'm not trying to say we're better and saved the world, blah blah blah. I know that Britain played a major role in these events, as well, but it was America that truly tipped the balance.)
            I agree totally! If the German's had held until spring (which they probably could have) the Russian army would have been totally overwhelmed. The Germans would have moved all of their artillery and tanks into the area and destroyed the Russian defenses in one foul swoop.

Originally posted by jesserella View Post
            It was Hitler attacking Russia that turned the tide in the war, before that Germany probubly could have won, Although i don't believe that any one county can claim to have won the war, without co operation no one would have won, and argueing about who did what is stupid, its better to look at the reasons we did it
            That's true. And another fact I think people gloss over is that after the assassination attempt on Hitler failed, he took personal command of the German armed forces. The German generals were very experienced and were winning the war. When Hitler took over, he didn't have the same strategic brilliance and he began to loose control of the fronts. Then of course he went a title nuts and attacked Russia when his men weren't ready for the cold conditions.

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
            You are forgetting an important part of the war: Japan. Without the US taking care of Japan, the Japanese might have turned on Russia meaning the Soviet Union would have had a war on two fronts, making it harder to crush Germany.
            Very good point. Without the Americans holding Japan up the axis easily could have overrun the whole of Europe, moved down into the rest of Africa and Asia. Then who do you think their next target would have been...

I'd also have to agree with Womble. The American industry was nothing short of amazing. The rate at which they could build anything from ships to rifles was incredible. If I recall correctly the were producing two or three ships for everyone they lost. It went a long way to helping the Allies win the war.
            sigpic
            By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

Without America opening the second front in France, Hitler could have moved all of his forces into Russia. Eventually, they simply would have overwhelmed the Russian forces, or at the very least held them until spring.

It was only because of the Allied offensive (thanks to America's timely assistance) that the Western Front was opened and sucked troops away from the East. I think you severely understate the impact that had on the war.

(I'm America, but I'm not trying to say we're better and saved the world, blah blah blah. I know that Britain played a major role in these events, as well, but it was America that truly tipped the balance.)
              I have to disagree with you because Hitler made a mistake by attacking Russia when he still had not defeated Britain. So Hitler made the second front by attacking Russia. Thus giving the Allies some space to prepare to stirke back.

Comment

I would say the smartest thing that America did was the lend-lease prpgram because it just gave supplies to England for nothing which allowed England to stay around long enough for America to finally get in the war.

Which brings me to a point who here thinks FDR knew about Pearl Harbor before hand?
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                  I would say the smartest thing that America did was the lend-lease prpgram because it just gave supplies to England for nothing which allowed England to stay around long enough for America to finally get in the war.

Which brings me to a point who here thinks FDR knew about Pearl Harbor before hand?
                  They knew of a attack, but did not know where. But I can say this although it was a good attack, but Japan failed massively.

Comment

^ Indeed they did! Didn't they miss most of the fleet (as in aircraft carriers and destroyers) that were out on a mock war mission.

Plus, if Japan didn't attack, you have to seriously consider whether America would have officially joined the war at all. And that could have been the difference in turning the tide against Germany.
                    sigpic
                    By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Gen_J_O'Neill View Post
                      ^ Indeed they did! Didn't they miss most of the fleet (as in aircraft carriers and destroyers) that were out on a mock war mission.

Plus, if Japan didn't attack, you have to seriously consider whether America would have officially joined the war at all. And that could have been the difference in turning the tide against Germany.
                      Not only that but they did not attack the dry docks, the submarines, and most importantly the oil. The oil would have kept us at bay for at least 4 to 5 years.

Comment

Thats why I'm wondering did FDR let the attack on Pearl Harbor happen just si America had a reason yo join the war?
                        A Face you Can Trust
                        sigpic
                        It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Thats why I'm wondering did FDR let the attack on Pearl Harbor happen just si America had a reason yo join the war?
                          Like I said they knew of a attack, but did not know where.

Comment

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
                            Like I said they knew of a attack, but did not know where.
                            Some people think they did know where and FDR still allowed the attack so America had a damn good reason to join the war
                            A Face you Can Trust
                            sigpic

Comment

Some people think they did know where and FDR still allowed the attack so America had a damn good reason to join the war
                              They think they knew the Japanese were going to attack. But I also think that there is life not only on earth, but does that make it true?

Comment

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
                                Not only that but they did not attack the dry docks, the submarines, and most importantly the oil. The oil would have kept us at bay for at least 4 to 5 years.
                                they were meant to have attacked the oil stores in the third wave which the japanese commander decided was too risky, if he had been braver or more impulsive the war may have turned out quite different

if there was any event responsible for germanys defeat it was not finishing off britain before he turned on the soviet union, this allowed us to recover and also gave the americans friendly soil in europe, both of these led to d-day and allowed the allies to eventually encircle germany, whatever we think about the soviet union they really contributed to the war and i think of any allied nation they suffered the most

in the asian war at least what little of it they took part in the soviet union performed very well, they had agreed to attack japan within 2 months after germanys surrender and they did in august around 1.5 million experienced soviet troops from the european front launched an attack on japanese forces by in china and korea, by the surrender in september the soviets had control of japanese occupied china, some of north korea-this advance was halted when the americans landed in korea, and some of japans outlying islands, their landing on the japanese home islands never took place, this soviet advance may have been as responsible as the american nuclear attacks for japans surrender

Comment

Working...
                                X