The GLBT and GSA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Care to explain?

When I said and I half quote "a trans woman playing the part would be the icing on the cake", I was actually referring to the diversity in the business which at the moment is lacking. I wouldn't mind if the part was played by a cis-gendered woman or man. The lead in Girl, a film about a transgirl, is played by a 16-year old male ballet dancer and he won a price for it at Cannes so good actors are perfectly capable of playing trans women. Another example, Eddy Redmayne played the lead in The Danish Girl, and won prices for it.

Gender bender is not akin to being transgender: a person who dresses and behaves like a member of the opposite sex

Transgender: of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity differs from the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth; especially : of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity is opposite the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth

I know, it's difficult wading through all these different terms and even I get lost and need to be set straight again (no pun intended ).

As you can see above, not what gender bender means. That what you think is gender bender, is the definition of transgender.

Is it your right to be taken at face value that you are male? Or better, do you consider it a right that we treat and adress you as male?

It's neither a right nor a privilege to be adressed as male or female, it's called treated with the respect a human being deserves to be treated. It's like you adres a person with their name or a nickname or he/she/they -- it's called being respectful.

Rights are societal norms in the form of freedoms that are available to people by virtue of being citizens of a country or as members of a society. Rights are considered as fundamental and inalienable. All citizens of a country are granted certain rights under the constitution. In fact, it would be wrong to say that rights are granted as they are there to be taken or claimed by people and said to be fundamental in nature.

A privilege is a special benefit or permission granted to an individual or a group based upon status, class, rank, title, or special talent. Thus, privilege is a special right not available to all members of the society but is rather restricted to a chosen few in the society. While some members of the society enjoy this right, others are excluded or denied these rights.

*** Please hold while I go shopping for food. The mice are dying in the cupboard and we can't have that. Will be back later to continue this conversation.
    You're way overthinking this.
    I hope they cast a trans woman for it... that would be the icing on the cake.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    No idea. But what would it matter?
    Yes, it would.

But that's not saying that a cis-gendered male couldn't pull it off. The male lead in Girl (a Belgian film who recently took some prices in Cannes) played a transgender female ballet dancer.
    I was just observing that your preference for a certain alphabet soup class* of trans would fly against the general desire to be taken for what you claim to be by suggesting that certain class of actor would be better for the part. If your preference is because you prefer a certain actor/actress, it doesn't matter. But I would think a general preference for a certain "alphabet soup class" would be a faux pas with people who want to be taken as what they claim to be.

*As you yourself have noted, the ever-expanding train of letters use to describe such folks is far too confusing and is in a constant state of flux; you can't possibly keep up with it unless you make it a goal in life. I just file all of it under "gender bender" and be done with it.

Now, what's the # for the Belgian office of the Society for the prevention of cruelty to mice and other rodents?

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
      Chaka-Z0, you have every right to be offended that your firm is discriminating against to on the basis of your age. But this thread is for mixed up people who are born one thing, but think or want to be another and employers are discriminating against them because they are different. If, apart from your age, you like to dress up as a woman, then this thread might give you some sympathy.

From what I have read in this thread people are questioning if movies & TV are using 'real' LGBT & GSA people to portray the characters, like actors who are straight should not be able to act LGBT & GSA parts.
      (I can see problems with the actors union on this one)
      Like Annoyed...you miss the point.

*As you yourself have noted, the ever-expanding train of letters use to describe such folks is far too confusing and is in a constant state of flux; you can't possibly keep up with it unless you make it a goal in life. I just file all of it under "gender bender" and be done with it.
      It actually isn't difficult to follow. Some just choose to be difficult.
      sigpic

Comment

I was just observing that your preference for a certain alphabet soup class* of trans would fly against the general desire to be taken for what you claim to be by suggesting that certain class of actor would be better for the part. If your preference is because you prefer a certain actor/actress, it doesn't matter. But I would think a general preference for a certain "alphabet soup class" would be a faux pas with people who want to be taken as what they claim to be.
        It's filed under diversity and representation.

Now, what's the # for the Belgian office of the Society for the prevention of cruelty to mice and other rodents?
        Belgium doesn't have an official instance like the UK does for animal welfare reporting -- the rodents are on their own on this one. They have been resupplied cause we stocked the cupboard up. Lots of chocolatty goodness.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

With regards to the casting of LGBTQI-characters and actors, I came across this opinion piece in NBCNews today:

Charlie Carver: I felt real pressure as a young actor to 'butch up' to get roles. Living my truth gives me more power.
          Hollywood needs to stop perpetuating stereotypes about LGBT people and what on-screen roles we can play.
          Jun.03.2018 / 10:28 AM ET

Excerpt from the article:

There's a lot of hypocrisy in the industry, especially when you use straight actors to tell LGBT stories but think LGBT actors can't be taken seriously in straight roles. I thank goodness that more LGBT stories are being told in general, but you then find that, when straight actors take on gay roles, they are applauded for their audacity. It's an actor's job is to really get the heart of the human condition and tell a human story, so it shouldn't be so surprising that straight actors can play LGBT roles any more than it's surprising that Matt Bomer and Zach Quinto can successfully play straight leading men. They're first and foremost fine actors. it is important (and it needs to be seen more often) that gay men or gay women can also jump into any role and use their empathy and their hearts and their imaginations to stand into somebody else's shoes.

Comment

With regards to the casting of LGBTQI-characters and actors, I came across this opinion piece in NBCNews today:

Charlie Carver: I felt real pressure as a young actor to 'butch up' to get roles. Living my truth gives me more power.
            Hollywood needs to stop perpetuating stereotypes about LGBT people and what on-screen roles we can play.
            Jun.03.2018 / 10:28 AM ET

Excerpt from the article: *snip*
            Am I the only one here that doesn't give a flying crab what gender an actor/actress has? This question never crossed my mind while watching a show or movie. What matters is how the character is portrayed on screen, and how convincing said actor is. Take Predestination for instance, I think Sarah Snook did a great job portraying both genders.

Now we all know the cinematographic industry is a hornet nest full of misogynist, controlling and egocentric pricks with much abuse, no big surprise there. We can see that being exposed ever since Weinstein.

Things are changing, slower than most industries perhaps, but it would be fallacy to assume these practices are as common as it was 10-50 years ago.
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
              Am I the only one here that doesn't give a flying crab what gender an actor/actress has? This question never crossed my mind while watching a show or movie. What matters is how the character is portrayed on screen, and how convincing said actor is. Take Predestination for instance, I think Sarah Snook did a great job portraying both genders.
              You and I don't, but that's not how the industry works, even if it's making efforts to change it.

Comment

*As you yourself have noted, the ever-expanding train of letters use to describe such folks is far too confusing and is in a constant state of flux; you can't possibly keep up with it unless you make it a goal in life.
                On this, i agree. I don't like the categorism of it, how confusing it is, or that it seems to miss the point it wants to make itself. I don't like lumping everything together either, since most people already don't seem to understand the difference between one's sex, one's gender and one's sexuality, and tossing it all into one group only makes things worse in my opinion.

I get that it's a work in progress, and that much of the language still needs to be invented. But the easier it is to grasp for "outsiders", the quicker and better it will go.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  I get that it's a work in progress, and that much of the language still needs to be invented. But the easier it is to grasp for "outsiders", the quicker and better it will go.
                  LOL!!

Outsiders will never grasp it quicker or let it go -- it really doesn't matter how many or few letters there are in the LGBT alphabet soup. Look at Annoyed -- he's a prime example of why it doesn't matter one way or another.

Comment

I am an outsider, yet I try my best to "keep up"
                    I'm pretty sure Lt Carter is as well.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I thought Carter was a G.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        I am an outsider, yet I try my best to "keep up"
                        I'm pretty sure Lt Carter is as well.
                        Okay, not all outsiders... but a lot.

Comment

Okay, not all outsiders... but a lot.
                          But that's the point trying to be made by killman I think Falcon.
                          Why hassle the poor Xe, or more accurately, does hassling the Xe actually help you at all?
                          Are your energies not better served by explaining what each letter means, rather than declaring a person a chump?
                          Would limiting the letters make it easier, if inaccurate for the Xe's to understand?
                          Would that help you more?
                          Dumb as simple has let religion thrive, and there isn't much more dumb and simple than that.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

But that's the point trying to be made by killman I think Falcon.
                            Ah... well, I'm sorry... I missed it, by a mile and more.

Are your energies not better served by explaining what each letter means, rather than declaring a person a chump?
                            I would if I knew... I know the common ones:
                            L -- Lesbian (me)
                            G -- Gay (also me)
                            B -- Bisexual (not me -- a friend of mine is)
                            T -- Transgender (not me -- friends with three, one guy (F2M) (changed his name and pronouns in College), and 2 women (M2F))
                            Q -- Queer

I found a good listing -- Decoding the LGBTQ Alphabet Soup

Personally, the less complicated the better, but that's probably asking too much. Hey, even I get lost here.

Comment

Ah... well, I'm sorry... I missed it, by a mile and more.

I would if I knew... I know the common ones:
                              L -- Lesbian (me)
                              G -- Gay (also me)
                              B-- Bisexual (not me -- a friend of mine is)
                              T -- Transgender (not me -- friends with three, one guy (F2M) (changed his name and pronouns in College), and 2 women (M2F))
                              Q -- Queer

I found a good listing -- Decoding the LGBTQ Alphabet Soup

Personally, the less complicated the better, but that's probably asking too much. Hey, even I get lost here.
                              Who is going to tell Soul?
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Who is going to tell Soul?
                                I doubt he'll be heartbroken.
                                To be fair, I haven't seen him around much lately. Perhaps, I should stick my head back in the Political thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X