This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
    I dunno, it was something I heard in passing. As I said, I've never actually played. I don't know anything of the rules.
    I've never played pen and paper either, only the computer rpg implementions of it But I like the concept of DnD, so I'm interested in it. Maybe there's a DnD nerd here that can tell us?

Comment

Originally posted by Coremae View Post
      The general consensus for many people for many years through out history during that time, before that time up until a few centuries ago was that the earth was either flat or held into place by some all powerful animal titan or something else. For an elderly man living in a tent or a man who lived two hundred years before the fall of Jerusalem or four hundred years afterwards as claimed by a great many people, know what they knew about the planet.

How is it so many writers all had the same exact theme. That's not even heard of in today's authorships.
      That's just how the human psyche works. They live in the wilderness, they see the animals, and some learn to worship them because of how they can help them improve their lives (i.e. as food, as clothing), and eventually, these animals gets introduced into the myths of those cultures. They also see how things fall onto the ground due to gravity, so primitive minds must think that that applies to Earth as well, and hence they introduced stuff to hold the Earth/ground up.

I'm not expert at this, but no matter what barriers lie between us, we are all human with more-or-less similar thought processes.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
        Actually, gods are pretty important to clerics and paladins and other Divine spellcasters. Like, you have to make sure you keep in favour with your God by worshipping etc otherwise you lose the ability to cast all your Divine spells. And a Cleric without any spells is pretty noob, like they'd get totally owned. I suppose a Paladin could do alright, since they have a D10 hit die and the fighter base attack bonus, but they'd still lose all their spells. Might be better off going to an evil/chaotic alignment and levelling up as a Blackguard, and have a binding pact with a fiend rather than an evil god.
        Finally, someone's contributed something that's relevant to our everyday lives.

I prefer to play an evil disciplined Monk who worships Tyr, the God of Justice.
        That places any level of injustice within my cross-hairs with absolutely no moral restrictions to hold me back.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          That's just how the human psyche works. They live in the wilderness, they see the animals, and some learn to worship them because of how they can help them improve their lives (i.e. as food, as clothing), and eventually, these animals gets introduced into the myths of those cultures. They also see how things fall onto the ground due to gravity, so primitive minds must think that that applies to Earth as well, and hence they introduced stuff to hold the Earth/ground up.

I'm not expert at this, but no matter what barriers lie between us, we are all human with more-or-less similar thought processes.
          you've explained the belief system of every religion from the beginning to now, except the sons of Abraham didn't worship any animal thing or anything of physical substance. Every one else did except for them. Until that is the Catholic Church came along then everything divine was muddled with garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime View Post

That places any level of injustice within my cross-hairs with absolutely no moral restrictions.
            Sounds more like Chaotic Good to me. Evil would care less about injustice. Good would care, but Chaotic Good would be sort of "the ends justify the means" about it.

Apparently, I picked up more from Baldur's Gate than I initially recalled.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
              I've never played pen and paper either, only the computer rpg implementions of it But I like the concept of DnD, so I'm interested in it. Maybe there's a DnD nerd here that can tell us?
              A cleric receives their power from the divine.
              Typically via worship of a particular God or through a church.
              However, they can simply worship Gods of the similar alignment.
              Because the source of their power is divine magic, they must worship.

In any case, the gods make themselves pretty evident in D&D.
              Atheists would have a hard time discounting all the supernatural events transpiring around them.

Comment

A cleric receives their power from the divine.
                Typically via worship of a particular God or through a church.
                However, they can simply worship Gods of the similar alignment.
                Because the source of their power is divine magic, they must worship.

In any case, the gods make themselves pretty evident in D&D.
                Atheists would have a hard time discounting all the supernatural events transpiring around them.
                Perhaps the atheist cleric was more of just didn't worship any gods than didn't believe in them, then. Or maybe I'm just seriously misremembering something here.
                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Sounds more like Chaotic Good to me. Evil would care less about injustice. Good would care, but Chaotic Good would be sort of "the ends justify the means" about it.

Apparently, I picked up more from Baldur's Gate than I initially recalled.
                  No, all Monk characters must be disciplined (and lawful).

Originally posted by D&D Player's Handbook (Core Rule Book): Lawful Evil, "Dominator"
                  A lawful evil villain methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his code of conduct without regard to whom it hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order, but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules, but without mercy or compassion.

Comment

No, all Monk characters must be disciplined (and lawful).
                    Thus proving my earlier statement that I don't know anything of the rules.
                    Cogito ergo dubito.

Comment

Perhaps the atheist cleric was more of just didn't worship any gods than didn't believe in them, then. Or maybe I'm just seriously misremembering something here.
                      Divine Magic: Cleric, Paladin, Ranger
                      Natural Magic: Druid
                      Arcane Magic: Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard

Comment

That places any level of injustice within my cross-hairs with absolutely no moral restrictions to hold me back.
                        Ahahaaha

yeah I love Monks, they're my favourite class.

Comment

Originally posted by Coremae View Post
                          Hip Hop fame is an anomaly, like those that ignore biblical points regardless of how obvious they are.
                          What points are these? Points that indicate the world is only a few thousand years old? False. Or that all animals on Earth were created at the same time? False. I find it trully mind boggling to think that people can actually accept the Bible as 100% fact when there's so much absolute nonsense in it which can be, and is, disproven all the time. The fact that 'God' contradicts himself should be a bit of a giveaway that the Bible definatly couldn't be the word of a God, it was created by men who obviously made mistakes, so how can it be considered to be the truth?

"God saw all that he made, and it was very good." [Gen 1:31]

"The Lord was grieved that he had made man on earth, and his heart was filled with pain." [Gen 6:6]

Hmmm...

David was tempted by the Lord to number Israel [2 Sam 24:1]

David was tempted by Satan to number the people [1 Chron 21:1]

Perhaps they're the same person...

Last edited by jenks; 03 July 2007, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Maybe he's schizophrenic or has an evil repli-god

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              What points are these? Points that indicate the world is only a few thousand years old? False. Or that all animals on Earth were created at the same time? False. I find it trully mind boggling to think that people can actually accept the Bible as 100% fact when there's so much absolute nonsense in it which can be, and is, disproven all the time. The fact that 'God' contradicts himself should be a bit of a giveaway that the Bible definatly couldn't be the word of a God, it was created by men who obviously made mistakes, so how can it be considered to be the truth?

"God saw all that he made, and it was very good." [Gen 1:31]

"The Lord was grieved that he had made man on earth, and his heart was filled with pain." [Gen 6:6]

Lol, yeah, if God is infallable that makes no sence!
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070623

Comment

Working...
                                X