• Time
  • Show
Clear All

banned cause ive gotta go back to work and hello S C Sil
    sigpic

Comment

^banned for being with the Pegasus Asgard and for posting many hours ago

Comment

banned go back in time, 2mins after i posted, then it wont seem so long (i had to go to work)
        sigpic

Comment

^banned, good idea

Comment

^Banned because I urge all gateworlders to watch the swedish movie Men Who Hate Women. It's a great dark and gritty thriller.

Comments from IMDb:
            Spoiler:
            ___________ from Italy (7 June 2009
            I am among, I guess, those very few people in Europe who have not read the best-selling novel by Stieg Larsson, but, not feeling in the mood to see another too emotionally engaging romance or drama, although its being my favourite genre, I went to see what is depicted by Larsson's fans as a captivating and gripping thriller.

Indeed, I can't say whether the movie proves adherence to the novel, which is something by the way difficult, considering the length of the book, however, I can say that the product is a well-crafted piece of cinema, which leaves also interesting food for thought. Used as we are, as southern Europeans, to see at Northern, and mainly Scandinavian countries, as models of democracy, economic progress and social welfare, it's quite surprising to see a modern Sweden stained by corruption and unscrupulous tycoons. Moreover, it is quite upsetting to get to know how Nazi extremist and insane ideas were rooted not so much in the history of the country, but in the conscience of people, in this case of a powerful and wealthy family, where the hatred towards the Jews has mixed with the hatred towards women, turning the lives of whole generations into a hell of ferocious violence and horror.

As far as the thriller story, it's engaging, but carried on very carefully, every aspect being under control, with flashbacks constantly reassuring us about aspects we have already perceived, without moving a little apart from a well consolidated stylistic model of this kind of movie genre. Sometimes a little slow, sometimes too indulging in violent scenes, but with a strong directing consciousness supporting it. Convincing and really good the performances offered by the whole cast, unknown to the great public, but I would underline the actress playing Lisbeth as really outstanding and upsetting in her mental and emotional distress. On the whole, it's not a masterpiece, but a good and well made movie.

_________ from Miami (13 July 2009)
            Millennium 1, The Man Who Hate Women is a thriller; but most of all a character study. Explaining what happens will not make any justice and will diminish the lasting feeling after enjoying it. The sad part is that the movie does not seem will have a wide USA release. It will probably be shown in New York and/or Los Angeles in a couple of theatres and as USA people hate reading it will be miserably ignored. It is sad because dumb things like I LOVE YOU MAN, DUPLICITY, THE HANGOVER or any romantic or formulaic movie gets wide release and huge publicity while this master piece; based on a master piece book will be limited to a DVD by the few people with still some cultural knowledge in the country. If this does not bother you; then search for some of the above mentioned movies you will for sure be delighted with.

_________ from Olliergues, France (28 May 2009)
            *** This comment may contain spoilers ***

It's a thriller that comes from the northern long winter Scandinavian nights. The rhythm then is slow, but the story is packed with suspense and logical absurd illogicality. The illogicality of criminal minds. It is also Swedish under another light. It is interested in the past, during Hitler's tenure but also after that tenure, after the second world war. In an industrial family with four brothers, three of them turn Nazi, and in modern times, when the story starts and the brother who did not turn Nazi is trying to find out a niece of his who disappeared in the early 60s, one of the three is completely gaga and a recluse, and the other two are no longer present. The business is in the hands of the son of one of the three (who died the day or so when the niece who was his daughter disappeared) and he seems to be a nice gentleman. The main character, a journalist hired to do the job by the non-Nazi brother, finds out his computer is visited by a hacker who sends him some info about his investigation. The two are pairing on the case and find out the truth which is brutal and grossly rude. No details about that. You have to see the film. But the film is fascinating because of this very mesmerizing power of that guilty past that survives even in the present. A Nazi monster will always be a Nazi monster and he will train his own son into the same barbarity. In fact he is a Nazi out of historical coincidence. He is a criminal first of all and he is thankful when history gives him the opportunity to be a criminal hero. The film though is a little bit short about that killer of women being a hater of women. It is generally slightly more complex. Actually the surviving criminal will confess before committing his last crime that it is not hatred for women because he rapes them, he is even demonstrating to them some humane gestures because he is attracted by the hope these victims entertain in those moments and he thoroughly enjoys the feeling he reads in his victims' eyes when they realize there is no hope, they are going to be killed. He finds his pleasure in these silent sentiments and feelings he drinks from the eyes of his victims as if it were some liquor. That's where the film is stronger than we may think. It shows how these criminals have perverted their pleasure into finding it in the utter hatred of their own victims that is only the last light in their eyes when all hope is gone. That's probably what a SS felt in Auschwitz. Sweden is haunted by this past that is shown as being still perfectly present. I am kind of inclined to say that there is no hope because such criminals will always exist and they must be kept away from any lethal tool that they could use on living beings, with the supreme perversion of killing themselves in the very process of killing scores of other people, suicide terrorists and their suicide attacks. The inventor of that kind of terrorism that transformed some volunteers into perambulating killing bombs has just found his human end in Sri Lanka, Prabhakaran, of Maoist inspiration. There is no way to prevent such derangement in some people, we can only do as much as we can to identify them, keep them under surveillance and give them no official occasion to cultivate and satisfy their perversion under some official uniform.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne, University Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines, CEGID
            sigpic

Comment

^banned because at the least it must have English subtitles
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

^Banned because I don't think they would sell it in the UK or the US without english subtitles.
                sigpic

Comment

^banned because I didn't know they were sold to this countries
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

^ and ^^ banned for talking about a movie I don't care about

Comment

^^Banned because I know that it has been released with english subtitles, but I don't think it has had a wide-spread release in those countries. If you can find the movie you should give the book it's based on a read. The book's english name is The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo.
                      ^Banned because I'm eating a sandwich.
                      sigpic

Comment

^banned for copying me, so am I

Comment

^banned as English subs of foreign movies/shows suck... (but I hate dubs !!!)

Comment

^banned just because

Comment

^Banned as I do not wish for my hash browns to turn into hash blacks ! !!!!!!!!

Comment

^unbanned for making me

Comment

Working...
                                X