Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I couldn't believe it myself when I found those pics. It's for a place call The Hub in Bristol. But you said hot pink nuns...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP View Post
      The one I was/am looking at wears street clothes. It's actually part of their constitution.

Adrianne
      How did the order get a constitution when the Catholic Church is a (benevolent) dictatorship?
      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

The one I was/am looking at wears street clothes. It's actually part of their constitution.

Adrianne
        What's their mission?
        Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
          How did the order get a constitution when the Catholic Church is a (benevolent) dictatorship?
          Really, it's not a dictatorship. Even the Pope gets elected. Someone who enters an order does it freely. They have time to get to know the lifestyle before they finalize their vows. Even so, they can leave. Each order, monastery and abbey has it's own rules and mission. Yes, there are guidelines and limits, but they have changed over the years, usually by vote.

Although sisters seem to have less freedom compared to most women nowadays, as late as the last century, they had more freedom to get educated, to have a profession and to travel than other women. The church took in my Great Aunt who was orphaned and educated her. She joined a teaching order and became a Sister Superior. She came to visit my school when I was in first grade (she lived out of state). All the nuns were in a tizzy about her coming. She wore one of those fancy headpieces. I was quite impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu View Post
            What's their mission?
            Serving the church, apparently, which I really like because I'm very interested in serving the church ... however, I haven't actually seen this At this point it's all talk, as no one I met is actually active within their parish. They just go to Mass because they have to

Adrianne
            If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
            It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Serving the church, apparently, which I really like because I'm very interested in serving the church ... however, I haven't actually seen this At this point it's all talk, as no one I met is actually active within their parish. They just go to Mass because they have to

Adrianne
              Wouldn't serving the church be the overarching mission of any convent, no matter what specific focus they have? That seems like a really vague mission to me.

EDIT: Well, I suppose some could be more socially focused without necessarily looking to serve the church itself.
              Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
                Wouldn't serving the church be the overarching mission of any convent, no matter what specific focus they have? That seems like a really vague mission to me.

EDIT: Well, I suppose some could be more socially focused without necessarily looking to serve the church itself.
                Exactly. A lot of them focus more on the poor or health care specifically. I have no interest in the poor and I wouldn't consider myself a good candidate for nursing as I strongly dislike stupid people -- also why I don't mix well with the poor. I'm much more interested in serving the Church body, specifically -- in a parish or diocese setting.

Adrianne
                If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
                It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Adrianne
                  Interesting.

Comment

Exactly. A lot of them focus more on the poor or health care specifically. I have no interest in the poor and I wouldn't consider myself a good candidate for nursing as I strongly dislike stupid people -- also why I don't mix well with the poor. I'm much more interested in serving the Church body, specifically -- in a parish or diocese setting.

Adrianne
                    Adrianne, why do you equate the poor and sick with stupid? Not a very charitable attitude...especially for one professing Christian faith strong enough to lead a cloistered life.

I was raised very poor and I don't consider myself nor my parents stupid because we didn't have access to certain resources. I find your comments in very poor taste and extremely un-Christian.

Serving the Church is serving its people--poor, sick, rich and stupid. You might need to reconsider your vocation.

Comment

Adrianne
                      Adrianne, I'll spare you my life story, but to say that I was raised in poverty would be an understatement--many years my family got by (barely) on under $10,000. Does that make me somehow mentally deficient? My family?

Also, why do you equate nursing with stupid people? I can't help but think that Stephen Hawking, Franklin Roosevelt and John Nash would likely object to that particular characterization
                      sigpic
                      Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                      "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Thank You
                        this was beginning to get somewhat ludicrious
                        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Ahhh, good ol' elitism. Anyone poor must be stupid. Anyone homeless must be stupid and lazy and probably a drunkard/drug addict (which is basically the same as being stupid, anyway).

You're to be congratulated, Nutty, on managing to hit all the right keys and say something coherent. Can't be easy for someone of your... upbringing.

Gods forbid anyone should taint themselves by hanging with such lowlifes. Dumb is contagious, you know, and it isn't the only disease those poor stupid folk have. Or was it stupid poor folk?

Comment

Some of the people I work with are rich and stupid. Can I take their money?
                            sigpic
                            Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SqueeG-1 View Post
                              Some of the people I work with are rich and stupid. Can I take their money?
                              Tsk, tsk, tsk. Everyone knows that anyone with money is intelligent. It's genetically impossible for the rich to be stupid. Unless they're dumb thieves who happened to get lucky, and then it'd only be right for you to take their money since they're just dumb beasts who don't deserve what they've got.

Comment

The Catholic church owes its income of billions to the pointless spending of poor people. Of course they think their victims are stupid.

(Normally, I might be nice and overlook that the Catholic church is just the old implementation of Scientology, but those comments justify harsh truths presented bluntly.)
                                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                                X