This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdrianneP
    Is there EVER a reason you would constantly use 'which' over 'that'?

"The primary tumors which have the strongest tendency to form metastases in the brain are lung cancer, breast cancer, renal cell carcinoma, and colorectal cancer."

Now I changed the 'which' to a 'that' but the author has been pretty consistent in using 'which' when, I think, it should be 'that'. Does he just not know the proper grammar use of 'which' and 'that' or is it me that is wrong?

I read a letter today written by Pope John Paul II and he used 'which' instead of 'that' in nearly all cases ... Who's right?!

Adrianne
    I have found that when in doubt...I am always right!

I believe that in this case it would be preference...though gramatically which is correct.

In the previous statment...if I am correct I meant 'which' was the correct word...if I am incorrect, I was asking a question...

" A friend of mine once sent me a post card with a picture of the entire planet Earth taken from space. On the back it said, "Wish you were here." " --Steven Wright

--Does that sound familiar to anyone else?--

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12
      If you all play nice I might post a picture of a rustic countryside tomorrow, if not, well to be honest either way you'll prolly get fuzzy bigfoot proof quality picture of the area surrounding my home. Enjoy Nutty and Kiwi's pretty pics now before you claw your eyes out at the horror of mine.
      Excellent. Now I can start planning my evil deed against you.
      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
        Excellent. Now I can start planning my evil deed against you.
        "Start"? I thought you were well on your way.
        sigpic
        Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

I read a letter today written by Pope John Paul II and he used 'which' instead of 'that' in nearly all cases ... Who's right?!

Adrianne
          I think technically, 'which' is the more correct , but 'that' has become the colloquialism that has become the most common to use.
          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by SqueeG-1
            "Start"? I thought you were well on your way.
            Shhh... I'm building a false sense of security.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by CKO
              so its blame Droops and Nutty day... i can live with that
              Hey, I am not the one looking at a fish's . . ahem . . . member!

I say we blame Nutty for it all.

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                gads this is scaring me... I was spending quality time with the Hubs yesterday so I am late in reading and here I am at work not being able to see this..but just knowing Droops has posted a picture *labled* lovetruth...is scary in itsself...or rather a .gif...so gads its moving as well...

this will be fun to see once I get home ...
                You just love the anticipation I give to you.

Comment

Take comfort in the knowledge that it doesn't move ... At least for me it hasn't.

Adrianne
                  You're not looking at the hearts very clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                    I think technically, 'which' is the more correct , but 'that' has become the colloquialism that has become the most common to use.
                    Google is your friend.
                    http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/C...ichvsThat.html

So, apparently, I am right and this author is wrong.

I feel better

Adrianne
                    (Look I found even more! http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhVt.asp)
                    If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
                    It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by Droops
                      You're not looking at the hearts very clearly.
                      Oo. Didn't see that the first time. ::Wipes the sweat from her brow::

Adrianne
                      If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Is there EVER a reason you would constantly use 'which' over 'that'?

"The primary tumors which have the strongest tendency to form metastases in the brain are lung cancer, breast cancer, renal cell carcinoma, and colorectal cancer."

Now I changed the 'which' to a 'that' but the author has been pretty consistent in using 'which' when, I think, it should be 'that'. Does he just not know the proper grammar use of 'which' and 'that' or is it me that is wrong?

Adrianne
                        'Which' would be appropriate to use when discussing numbers. 'Which (one(s)) for example.

Generally, the word 'that' is correct, but there are certain instances where 'which' is appropriate and correct. What's confusing is that the word 'that' has multiple meanings that can at times be confusing.

That's the lesson that I learned.

There are other rules as well. Check here for instance:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=which

Comment

'Which' would be appropriate to use when discussing numbers. 'Which (one(s)) for example.

Generally, the word 'that' is correct, but there are certain instances where 'which' is appropriate and correct. What's confusing is that the word 'that' has multiple meanings that can at times be confusing.

That's the lesson that I learned.

There are other rules as well. Check here for instance:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=which
                          In must of the examples they gave all 'which'es proceeded a comma, as if the 'which' was a second thought and not necessarily the main one. "The movie was interesting, which was nice."

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

You just love the anticipation I give to you.
                            I figure its at least 75% of the fun

others might call it foreplay ...
                            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                              I figure its at least 75% of the fun

others might call it foreplay ...

ahem.

Don't you already have a hubby...
                              I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                                ahem.

Don't you already have a hubby...
                                And I have a wife.