This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci fi tue loyalties

I just saw a promotion on SCI FI for a Psych marathon. It is a good show but nonethelss its not sci fi.

The thing that really gets me is that it is that show along with monk which kills its friday night ratings. I know USA is a sister station but I just cant believe it .

It is a business. It is in business to make money. Those shows have already been produced and shown in first run, so they are much cheaper to air. Bonnie Hammer may not care very much about science fiction fans, but she cares very much about the bottom line for the company. Any business president does. It is a pity that SciFi Channel has strayed so far from its original target audience of science fiction fans (what with wrestling and all) but as long as it continues to turn a profit, Ms. Hammer will have a job.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
      I just saw a promotion on SCI FI for a Psych marathon. It is a good show but nonethelss its not sci fi.

The thing that really gets me is that it is that show along with monk which kills its friday night ratings. I know USA is a sister station but I just cant believe it .
      this is a channel that has wrestle on it what did you expect
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
        It is a business. It is in business to make money. Those shows have already been produced and shown in first run, so they are much cheaper to air. Bonnie Hammer may not care very much about science fiction fans, but she cares very much about the bottom line for the company. Any business president does. It is a pity that SciFi Channel has strayed so far from its original target audience of science fiction fans (what with wrestling and all) but as long as it continues to turn a profit, Ms. Hammer will have a job.
        Well this is the thing , the Network is called SciFi ... Not USA or FOX or NBC or any either NetWork out there , There soul name is SciFi , So couse of this people and fans want to see SciFi shows and Movies ...

To me it doesnt matter if this Person doesnt like SciFi and there the Boss of this Company ...The fact that there NetWork is named after a subject is what they should be suppling to the consumers ....

Also to the fact of business is they need to supply the consumers with what they like , not with what an owner or boss likes .... It would be like working for Starbucks , and your boss tells you that hey the Boss of this store doesnt like Coffee anymore , so we are going to drop the coffee and go with tea from now on ... Sorry it wouldnt work ...

If he doesnt like a show , or she , they need to look at something new . Something that goes with there network , Not with something that is old , or something that has nothing to do with there network ...

Comment

Originally posted by -PITBULL- View Post
          Well this is the thing , the Network is called SciFi ... Not USA or FOX or NBC or any either NetWork out there , There soul name is SciFi , So couse of this people and fans want to see SciFi shows and Movies ...
          Names are irrelevant these days. MTV doesn't have much music. The Cartoon network is starting "Live action" shows.

Also to the fact of business is they need to supply the consumers with what they like , not with what an owner or boss likes .... It would be like working for Starbucks , and your boss tells you that hey the Boss of this store doesnt like Coffee anymore , so we are going to drop the coffee and go with tea from now on ... Sorry it wouldnt work ...
          But, the customers aren't the viewers. The customers are the advertisers. You get SciFi as part of a cable or satellite package containing dozens of networks. It isn't Pay-per-view and it isn't "ala carte" where you select only that network(or deselect it). You aren't directly paying them money, but the advertisers are.

The advertisers are buying ratings against a specific demographic, not "scifi shows".

If he doesnt like a show , or she , they need to look at something new . Something that goes with there network , Not with something that is old , or something that has nothing to do with there network ...
          If the ratings of a "Psych" marathon on SciFi does better ratings then, say, another Stargate marathon, the network's true customers--the advertisers--will be happy.

If the ratings don't do as well as what you consider "true scifi programming" then they will be less likely to do a "non-scifi" marathon again.

The marketplace will tell them what's right or wrong.

It's not the name of the show or its genre that really matters. It's that number Nielsen puts next to the program's title indicating how many people watched.

Ultimately, whether people watch or not--as indicated by the ratings--will tell them if this is a wrong move or not. Not high-minded principles on what is right or wrong for the network based on its name.

Comment

Working...
          X