Sam and Jack Shipper Lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
    *hugs* XF, I know how you feel sometimes! It's tough being a woman in science, especially chemistry and engineering. I'm lucky, my current boss is great, but I only have my new job for a year. Then I'm back to the drawing board - again!

My bf has the opposite problem - he couldn't get any further up the career ladder where he works because he's the only guy in an all-female team and they treated him like he was only there to pick up after them and finish all the stuff they couldn't be bothered with (he's also the youngest by 5 years but has more experience than the other woman at his pay grade!)

I really do sympathise with your situation. Sadly, it's all too common even now. I don't think we'll ever truly get rid of gender discrimination completely. If you don't mind me asking, what area of chemistry are you in?
    well us guys in the massage school in New York State, (New York Institute of Massage) have trouble most of the time filling our slots, very likely because many people probably think guys aren't capable of being professional in that setting :/

and yeah that's always been a frustrating catch-22 in the job market: need practical experience to get the job but how do they expect you to get that practical experience when it seems like almost EVERY employer requires that practical experience as a prerequisite? *facepalms*

Comment

When my grandmother died 5 years ago (wow) one of the things my dad let me take from her house was her sewing box. She used to make all kinds of things. She made us outfits every summer growing up, she sewed clothes for our dolls, and she loved to crochet. I wish I had one of her afghans. I swear she had one for every month. She'd drape them over the couch and chair in her living room.

She taught me how to crochet when I was in high school. I used to do it a lot. But, I haven't really made the time for it in years. So, today when I was out and about birthday shopping for my daughter, I bought a skein of yarn and I've started to crochet a pair of wrist warmers I went through the sewing box and pulled out her crochet hooks. As I'm using her hooks, I can picture my grandma's hands as I work the stitches.
      sigpic

----------
      FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Wound up at ebay, my account is still limited and S4K have fb and tweeted about my plaques and hearts - the link goes frigging nowhere now. Fuming.
        Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
        If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Originally posted by IamDKScully View Post
          When my grandmother died 5 years ago (wow) one of the things my dad let me take from her house was her sewing box. She used to make all kinds of things. She made us outfits every summer growing up, she sewed clothes for our dolls, and she loved to crochet. I wish I had one of her afghans. I swear she had one for every month. She'd drape them over the couch and chair in her living room.

She taught me how to crochet when I was in high school. I used to do it a lot. But, I haven't really made the time for it in years. So, today when I was out and about birthday shopping for my daughter, I bought a skein of yarn and I've started to crochet a pair of wrist warmers I went through the sewing box and pulled out her crochet hooks. As I'm using her hooks, I can picture my grandma's hands as I work the stitches.
          My mum tried crochet a little while ago but never got in to it. We both cross stitch and apart from French Knots, I have it mastered. I picked up a knitting magazine at one of the supermarkets and mum's gonna try and teach me that. How well it goes is another thing. Crochet is next on my list to try
          sigpic
          Sig made by Nola
          Latest fic Thin Blue Veil

Comment

That's a lovely thing to have to remember her by.

I know how to knit really well. I've made afghans, sweaters, baby clothes, etc. I can crochet, but not very well. I've tried cross stitch and can do it fairly well, and can needlepoint as well. I have a lot of yarn stored in tote boxes that I need to do something with one of these days.

I also make quilts and play around with fabric dying.

Comment

I love that I still have afghans that my grandma made for me. I'm also glad that I was able to make one for her before she died. Have you ever noticed how so many people who crochet and knit never make anything for themselves? lol

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post
              Wound up at ebay, my account is still limited and S4K have fb and tweeted about my plaques and hearts - the link goes frigging nowhere now. Fuming.
              Arrrggghhh!!! Any idea how long they're going to be difficult?

Comment

Originally posted by brendini View Post
                I love that I still have afghans that my grandma made for me. I'm also glad that I was able to make one for her before she died. Have you ever noticed how so many people who crochet and knit never make anything for themselves? lol
                I'm one of those who never makes anything for myself. It's so much more fun to do it for other people.

Comment

Originally posted by brendini View Post
                  Arrrggghhh!!! Any idea how long they're going to be difficult?
                  Apparently the documentation has been verified but it could be up to 48hrs (from the middle of the afternoon when I phoned them) to reinstate my buyer/seller abilities.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  I'm one of those who never makes anything for myself. It's so much more fun to do it for other people.
                  Me too, gives me so much pleasure when I make someone smile.
                  Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

I know, right? I still haven't decided what to do with the afghan I'm (still lol) working on, once it's done.

Comment

Reminds me of Stitches.

Love that fic!
                      Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

That is a great fic I have it saved on my phone

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                          My job:

Spoiler:

I'm an organic chemistry. My company used to work for pharmaceutical companies. Basically we are specialized in syinthesis and purification of impurities. Generally each impurity higher than 0.1% present in a drug must be identified, so they need them as standards. You can achieve it by preparative purification (on direct or indirect phases) of a large amount of the drug or by synthesis. We also have analytical labs.
                          We also work as support to improve chemical processes already in production or, like me for more than 3 years, we develop new industrial processes. One of our customers will create a new production plant and gave us the name of some drugs they wanted to sell. So we had to check all the patents for those drugs and try to synthesize the compounds in lab without using stuff already present in the papers. It's a huge amount of work cuz you don't have to consider only the chemical part but also the costs of the reagents and the transfer of the process on a industrial reactor. And also a lot of reports to write.
                          Our big boss sold this company some months ago (he's 70 but he still only thinks about money and work) to the first chemical group in Italy. He became president of the boards of directors of that company. Actually he has other companies too and I think he has his hands on a lot of other things too.
                          So far things aren't improved for us though. The problem is that the level of stress is too high. I'm so tired, both physically and mentally. They keep asking us to work on so many projects together that we are getting nuts. The fact that the work crisis is still high doesn't help since they know it'd be hard for us to find a new job.
                          For this reason that job seemed good, especially cuz it wasn't in lab but in a office. Don't get me wrong I like working in a lab, I wouldn't be an organic chemistry otherwise, but not in our company. Our instruments are old and the level of security is too low. Some years ago a suction hood didn't work well and we realized that only when my blood test was messed up. Thank you so much for damaging my liver!
                          And stupid work doctor thought I did something wrong cuz it was basically just me. You moron! I was almost always alone in that lab at that time! Only cuz my urine test proved traces of solvents he agreed that I didn't screwed my transaminase with food/drinks!

I'm actually shocked by that! I can't believe you were made to work in a lab with defective health and safety equipment! In the labs I've worked in the health and safety officers would either replace the faulty equipment or shut the lab down temporarily.

Its funny because my husband works in an all female office and they often treat him differently. Whenever he takes time off (which is hardly ever), he comes back to all of the work he left behind. When anyone else takes time off, he is given their crap to do while they're gone. I often get upset because he has three weeks of vacation time every year plus earned PTO for use when he's sick. Whenever he asks for time off (which, like I said, is hardly ever), it is this big huge deal, but the ladies get their requests approved almost without fail.

So, women can be just as bad as men when it comes to discrimination.
                          Indeed. My OH had the same issue. He asked for a couple of days off so he could go with me to my Grandad's funeral in another city and they made him take it as holiday and do extra on-call duties!!

My dad's boss was worse though. His uncle died and when he asked for a day off for the funeral the day after he died suddenly, she asked him if he could've given her more notice!
                          Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                            I'm actually shocked by that! I can't believe you were made to work in a lab with defective health and safety equipment! In the labs I've worked in the health and safety officers would either replace the faulty equipment or shut the lab down temporarily.

Indeed. My OH had the same issue. He asked for a couple of days off so he could go with me to my Grandad's funeral in another city and they made him take it as holiday and do extra on-call duties!!

My dad's boss was worse though. His uncle died and when he asked for a day off for the funeral the day after he died suddenly, she asked him if he could've given her more notice!
                            guess it'll soon become necessary to have to go to a psychic in order to give this "more notice" of something unexpected like a death in the family

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Flower View Post
                              Reminds me of Stitches.

Love that fic!
                              - so worried about his stern tough guy image.....there was a pro-football player who did needlepoint as a hobby....and I'd be willing to bet that anyone who tried to make fun of him for it got a knuckle sandwich to chew on

Comment

48 hours have passed and my eBay account is still limited. Not amused.

Comment

Working...
                                X