Sam and Jack Shipper Lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack4Sam View Post
    LOL. We don't have Black Friday sales in Oz, we have Boxing Day sales. It's funny how people go crazy when you can get the same sales all year round, just not as much on sale at the same time, but people go and buy things just because it's Boxing Day.
    We normally just have Boxing Day too but we got Black Friday in places this year which was awesome cos we got some super deals online but all the fighting was just stupid! They had to close my local tesco cos the workers thought it was getting too dangerous? When did we all become so obsessed with material things that we forgot basic manners?!
    "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Sam View Post
      LOL. We don't have Black Friday sales in Oz, we have Boxing Day sales. It's funny how people go crazy when you can get the same sales all year round, just not as much on sale at the same time, but people go and buy things just because it's Boxing Day.
      So true! Last year I bought electronic toothbrushes for my kids at Wal-Mart the week before Thanksgiving (I know they are evil and my heart dies a little bit every time I shop there.). Then their Black Friday ad came out the next week and the same toothbrushes were "On Sale" for the exact same price that I had paid for them the week before! It's a racket! And I hate the way people in my family ruin my favorite holiday by focusing on the stupid shopping, which all starts on Thanksgiving now and NOT on Friday! I want turkey, I want pie, and I want togetherness, darn it! Is that too much to ask?!?
      sigpic

----------
      FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by IamDKScully View Post
        So true! Last year I bought electronic toothbrushes for my kids at Wal-Mart the week before Thanksgiving (I know they are evil and my heart dies a little bit every time I shop there.). Then their Black Friday ad came out the next week and the same toothbrushes were "On Sale" for the exact same price that I had paid for them the week before! It's a racket! And I hate the way people in my family ruin my favorite holiday by focusing on the stupid shopping, which all starts on Thanksgiving now and NOT on Friday! I want turkey, I want pie, and I want togetherness, darn it! Is that too much to ask?!?
        My American friend was telling me about this, it's so sad! What's the point of sales if they ruin the holiday they're supposed to be next to?
        Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

I feel cheated: why don't we have major sales like that here? Two major holidays that require presents and New Year's, so December is expensive enough but all we get is like 10% off (and we all know those articles have only become 10% more expensive over the past few months, building up to these holidays so they can offer "good deals")...

Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
            I feel cheated: why don't we have major sales like that here? Two major holidays that require presents and New Year's, so December is expensive enough but all we get is like 10% off (and we all know those articles have only become 10% more expensive over the past few months, building up to these holidays so they can offer "good deals")...

To be fair, most of the "bargains" in the UK aren't really that great. I find the best deals are outlet villages where they have shops full of clearance items, end of line products and factory seconds. There are several across the UK and my best bargains have been:

A £20 Ness branded top (Scottish tartan brand) for £5 (tiny black mark which came out in the wash!)
            £12 Ness tartan corsage for £3
            £40 Gap jeans for £20
            £40 Guinness brand cardigan for £10
            £40 Guinness brand shirt for £15
            £40 Fat Face brand skinny soft feel trousers for £16 (last year I got them for £9!)
            £22 Fat Face T-shirts for £8
            £295 Barbour waxed jacket for £149
            £30-worth of Marks and Spencer underwear for £3!!

I've only paid full price for one thing this Xmas but I'm a bit of a bargain hunter, drives my bf nuts that I'll walk across town to save a few ££.
            Last edited by AmberLM; 02 December 2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
              To be fair, most of the "bargains" in the UK aren't really that great. I find the best deals are outlet villages where they have shops full of clearance items, end of line products and factory seconds. There are several across the UK and my best bargains have been:

A £20 Ness branded top (Scottish tartan brand) for £5 (tiny black mark which came out in the wash!)
              £40 Gap jeans for £20
              £40 Fat Face brand skinny soft feel trousers for £16 (last year I got them for £9!)

I've only paid full price for one thing this Xmas but I'm a bit of a bargain hunter, drives my bf nuts that I'll walk across town to save a few ££.
              I haven't had time yet to do any Christmas shopping. Will have to wait until next week or something...
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

£40 Gap jeans for £20

and you only WALK across town rather than DRIVE so that he can't use the "well the money you saved probably got used up in the gas you wasted going across town" argument right?

Comment

I'm a bargain hunter too. I'll easily detour 6 km on my bike for something on sale... And hey, that's even extra exercise
                  On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                    and you only WALK across town rather than DRIVE so that he can't use the "well the money you saved probably got used up in the gas you wasted going across town" argument right?
                    Yup! No point driving anywhere in my town, there's only one shopping street about a mile long!

Comment

Stana Katic just tweeted a list of the world's coolest libraries - and the first one on the list was my university's library in Aberdeen! Well I didn't expect that!

Comment

Stana Katic just tweeted a list of the world's coolest libraries - and the first one on the list was my university's library in Aberdeen! Well I didn't expect that!
                        Oh I've been to that library, it is very very cool. I only got a brief look around, I would have liked to stay a little longer and get to see it properly.
                        Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

Amber's quote from the shipper page:
                          Spoiler:
                          Yeah I doubt they'll do it but apparently it has been discussed by Moffat, Gatiss (the writers) and Martin & Benedict (the actors) and Martin Freeman introduced Benedict to Johnlock fanfic and has already said he wouldn't mind if it turned out that way.

Having said that, I do wonder if it's their endgame plan. There are a lot of subtle hints that Sherlock might be gay and they keep bringing it up (to which Watson constantly protests that he's not actually gay - too much, perhaps?) It's the sort of thing those particular writers like to do, Gatiss has already said that his favourite adaptation of Sherlock Holmes is one in which Sherlock is outed as being gay (I've never seen that one, it's called something like The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes) and they pay really close attention to all of the little details down to shirt colours and on-screen in-jokes, much more so than most writers which makes me think the hints at his sexuality were put there on purpose.

But the hardcore Sherlockians who love the books feel the way you do so do they risk alienating their traditionalist audience? I don't know.

...in response, I need to leave this here for Amber and Nynaeve:

I tend to feel the same as Nynaeve: I prefer Sherlock as an asexual character, but I am LOVING the progression/development of his character when it comes to friendship relationships. He's not used to loving and caring about people, and here he's gone and surrounded himself with a family of his own making.
                          Last edited by SaraBahama; 14 December 2014, 07:23 PM.
                          sigpic
                          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Haha, I love these two! Yeah I can see why many like them as just friends. And that's awesome too. I also wouldn't mind if they did become a proper couple. Either is fine with me tbh but I can see an argument for them being gay/bi, and I think the idea of a gay couple on TV that there's no lantern hung on would be something new for the BBC. It's not all about their sexuality, it's just another fact of their lives like the fact that John likes pulling rank on people and Sherlock has cheekbones you could cut glass with. There's just so much subtext and it's so starkly different from the very obvious bromance that Robert Downey Jnr & Jude Law's. Sherlock and Watson have.

So many on-screen characters think they're a couple including Mrs Hudson, Mycroft and every gay male character we've ever seen on-screen. Even Adler ships them in this series, she's the Teal'c of Johnlock! Also, Mark Gatiss is the writer so literally anything could happen lol!
                            Last edited by AmberLM; 14 December 2014, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Was at a pub quiz last night with a friend and, having just watched the Sherlock ep 'The Sign of Three' and knowing that she watches Sherlock too, I asked her what the significance of 'Vatican cameos' and where it came from. She just looked at me and said "Hmm I'm not sure, just let me check..." and honest to god pulls the Sherlock Holmes complete works out of her rucksack! The thing was thicker than LotR!

Don't you just love it when you find RL fandom friends, especially if they're already your friend and you had no idea they were as geeky as you? Lol.

Comment

I think what it comes down to for me is that Sherlock is in love with the game. I think his attachment to John surprises him but I can't see it turning into anything more. Eh. Like I said, if they did, that'd be the point I stopped watching. It's partly why I never even tuned into Elementary. I haven't followed up to know what they did but I was always concerned they would put in "sexual tension" and ugh. UGH to that.

(And to each their own, I see it more as humorous that people think of them as a couple because in this day and age that's the kind of assumption people make about two single men who hang around each other all the time and live in the same flat. I genuinely don't see any sort of subtext :: shrugs :: In fact, I've seen some people get really upset and call the whole thing "gay-baiting" which makes me think it's not just me who sees it being played for merely for humor).

Comment

Working...
                                X