No announcement yet.

Sam and Jack Shipper Lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's awful! At least your family are safe though, most possessions can be replaced but life cannot. And your brother sounds like he was fully insured which is good. My mum used to be a broker and so many people underinsure or don't insure at all and when tragedies like this happen they are left with nothing.

Hopefully they can make good progress on the house and they can salvage some of the more sentimental items in the house.
    Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
      That's awful! At least your family are safe though, most possessions can be replaced but life cannot. And your brother sounds like he was fully insured which is good. My mum used to be a broker and so many people underinsure or don't insure at all and when tragedies like this happen they are left with nothing.

Hopefully they can make good progress on the house and they can salvage some of the more sentimental items in the house.
      After hearing this news, I'm seriously considering raising the insurance coverage I have for my personal stuff. I'm pretty sure I'm way underinsured.

I had a very selfish thought when I heard about this. I made a quilt for Bruce about 10 years ago, and found myself thinking "I hope that survived". If not, I'll just have to make him another one.

I'm also hoping that the reconstruction process doesn't take as long as predicted, so they can get back into their home again. It's a really nice home, too.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        I had a very selfish thought when I heard about this. I made a quilt for Bruce about 10 years ago, and found myself thinking "I hope that survived". If not, I'll just have to make him another one.
        I don't think that's too selfish. It probably has some sentimental value for him. And some items are irreplaceable, no matter how much insurance coverage you have.

Comment

Just when things seemed to be going along smoothly, I get an email from my brother telling me there was a fire in his home last week, and he and his partner have had to move into a hotel suite (provided by the insurance company) for maybe six months while the damage is assessed and then the house repaired.
          <snipped>
          The only lucky thing about this is that the fire was discovered really early, and the fire department was called, but by the time they got there the smoke was so thick my brother-in-law could barely see in front of him and couldn't try to get anything out of the house except himself. The firemen wound up finding and rescuing their little dog and bringing him out of the house. They also have a Russian tortoise that survived. Their gold fish, however, did not.
          *bolded* I was going to ask. I'm glad they got him out!
          Hedwig, I'm so sorry -yes, it could have been worse, but this is major and the upheaval and loss is very distressing. I am glad that worse things did not happen.

Originally posted by ajay View Post
          I don't think that's too selfish. It probably has some sentimental value for him. And some items are irreplaceable, no matter how much insurance coverage you have.
          *this...a thousand times...this*
          sigpic
          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

After hearing this news, I'm seriously considering raising the insurance coverage I have for my personal stuff. I'm pretty sure I'm way underinsured.

I'm also hoping that the reconstruction process doesn't take as long as predicted, so they can get back into their home again. It's a really nice home, too.
            Stress and shock are odd things. In times of crisis, I find myself resorting to the oddest thoughts. I think it's a coping mechanism rather than a sign that you're selfish or strange and, more often than not, it's the small things that upset you in situations like that. When my mum was sick, I could deal with the doctors and the hospital visits and all the big stuff but suddenly something like me missing something I had wanted to watch on TV or other trivial stuff would make me really angry or upset. (She's ok now BTW)

Originally posted by ajay View Post
            I agree. It always makes me think of those people you see on shows like Extreme Makeover Home Edition who have lost everything in a tragedy. My Grandad gave me a lovely silver pocketwatch the year before he died. It wasn't the actual gift that touched me so much but the fact that he had thought of me when he bought it. As far as I know, he never really gave any of his 20+ grandkids gifts, we always used to joke as a family that it was a good day if he let you keep the change of a pound when the thing cost 99p. Turns out that after he died he'd left us all money that none of us knew about and all of the family were arguing about it. To be honest, I didn't care about getting any of it. That pocket watch means more to me than any amount of money because of what it represented.
            Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

I was watching the NBC news this evening and they closed with the dedication of the new 9/11 memorial. A lady who's husband was killed in the events of that day sang "Amazing Grace" (one of my all time favorite songs and the song which was sung at my Mom's funeral a long time ago). There's just something about that song that hits me in the heart every time I hear it. By the middle of the song, I had tears running down my face, and my eyes were so blurry I could hardly see. I would never be able to go through that memorial; I'd be crying my eyes out before I even got through 1/4 of the place.

Comment

***DESPERATELY SEEKING LOST NOMINEES***

Hello folks! As part of the awards nomination process we've found a bunch of older works are still HUGE fan favorites! To that end, we're desperately seeking some nominees that have slipped off the map. Do you know any of these people and how we might get a hold of them? We're active on most social media platforms between the awards themselves or the committee members.

Please help us find the following:
                • Jarterlove (Vid Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: YouTube
                • Aussie73 (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                • Kate McCaye (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net

Any leads would be much appreciated. Thank you!
                Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

We're playing in the quarter finals of the National Championships tomorrow and I'm ridiculously nervous. My head is all scattered and I'm feeling nauseous and I can't think straight. Ugh, this is crazy. I've never been this nervous before a game. I need something to either distract me or help me focus.

Comment

happy birthday sally!!!!
                    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Hello folks! As part of the awards nomination process we've found a bunch of older works are still HUGE fan favorites! To that end, we're desperately seeking some nominees that have slipped off the map. Do you know any of these people and how we might get a hold of them? We're active on most social media platforms between the awards themselves or the committee members.

Please help us find the following (new this post in green):
                      • Kate McCaye (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                      • Goddess Andraste (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                      • Annerb (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net; Livejournal
                      • Quarkie (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                      • Jessa4865 (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                      • Little Red (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                      • Ayiana2 (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                      • CooperTrooperSG1 (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                      • mara-anni (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                      • peachy626 (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                      • Surrealis (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Livejournal

Last edited by Amara D'Angeli; 18 May 2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post

• Annerb (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net; Livejournal
                        I was going to suggest her LJ but I you already tried it. Try her AO3 at http://archiveofourown.org/users/Annerb/pseuds/Annerb last updated this January.

Mara also has an LJ at http://mara-anni.livejournal.com/ but it hasn't been updated in over 4 years.
                        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

• Goddess Andraste (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                          • Quarkie (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                          • Jessa4865 (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                          • Little Red (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                          • Ayiana2 (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                          • CooperTrooperSG1 (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                          • peachy626 (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Fanfiction.net
                          • Surrealis (Fic Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: Livejournal
                          • JanSam (Vid Nominee) - We've attempted to contact through: YouTube

You could check with Nynaeve and JenniferJF about Mara-Ani. I seem to recall them being friends and maybe still are. They are both on Facebook.
                          Last edited by hedwig; 18 May 2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                            I was going to suggest her LJ but I you already tried it. Try her AO3 at http://archiveofourown.org/users/Annerb/pseuds/Annerb last updated this January.

Mara also has an LJ at http://mara-anni.livejournal.com/ but it hasn't been updated in over 4 years.
                            Well, it's worth a shot, right?

We've also now tried Annerb through twitter so...fingers crossed.

Thank you!

Comment

This may be the same Goddess Andraste on Twitter. No tweets but it may be in use for following people.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

I tweeted her. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
                                X