This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over The Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Sad to see Pink Floyd gone. There was another round it was up to the ax against I think Song 2 and I couldn't vote against either of them...so I quietly didn't do anything. Great song...sniff sniff.

Interesting story. So I was with my sister a while ago and a song came on the radio and she commented that she really liked the song. I knew what the song was and made the comment that I think I had it on CD. Later on went and looked up the song in my CD collection it wasn't there...hmmmm. The other night something similar happened with my hubby I said I believed I owned the song and again couldn't find it in any of my CDs. That's when it hit me...they were songs from the thread NOT my CD collection but since I listen to a good handful every morning its like I have them on CD Doh
    sigpic
    GO NEWMAN! 31!

Comment

Cats in the cradle.

I'm never quite sure what to think about Over the Rainbow. Its a lovely song, but always has some very sad connotations for me; when I was at school, that song was performed to us before christmas by a very talented first year kid, who won the school competition with it. Sadly, he got run over and killed over the holidays, and the song was performed as a tribute in his memorial assembly. I never knew him (he was only 11 or 12, 7 years below me), but it was still incredibly sad, and I always remember it when I hear that song.
      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by jonno View Post
        Cats in the cradle.

I'm never quite sure what to think about Over the Rainbow. Its a lovely song, but always has some very sad connotations for me; when I was at school, that song was performed to us before christmas by a very talented first year kid, who won the school competition with it. Sadly, he got run over and killed over the holidays, and the song was performed as a tribute in his memorial assembly. I never knew him (he was only 11 or 12, 7 years below me), but it was still incredibly sad, and I always remember it when I hear that song.
        You too?! A friend of mine in high school choir always sang that song (consistently getting one note wrong, and then mocked by the rest of us). I came in one morning to find out she had died in a car accident the night before, so now I can't hear that song without thinking of her. The Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version doesn't bother me quite as much as the Judy Garland version because it's being sung by a male.

sigpic
        Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Tie Breaker

Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Comfortably Numb was definitely in my list of contention for Top Ten. Great choice Naonak!

Originally posted by aintright View Post
            ill be home for Christmas

BABS!!!

for RAD and Squee!!! *runs*

The Christmas Song

Nat King Cole

o tannenbaum

Vince or The Charlie Brown gang or ???

teehee!!
            Did you mean to post an I'll Be Home For Christmas song up there? Didn't see/hear a song when I clicked on the link And exactly why were you running?

I can't hear O Tannenbaum without thinking of the periodic table of Elements. Hub, who is deeply immersed in physics and all that surrounds it, was trying to teach me the table and we used the song to help me memorize it. It worked very well then.

Tie Breaker

sigpic

Comment

So, Comfortably Numb... Mostly, the guitar solos are awesome.

Tiebreaker

Comment

Tie Breaker

Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin - 1974
                sigpic

Comment

Man, all I can say is that this is not a very Merry Christmas season for me on this thread!!!!!!!

Abstains from voting, and hands heart over to thread for them and Cindy Loo Who to feast on in lieu of Roast Beast for Christmas.

Good thing I already opened my present from my kids of season 4 of NCIS. Tony and Gibbs will help ease my pain. (Except that in season 4 both of them seem to be spending an awful lot of time smooching. [I should clarify that they're smooching women, not each other.] What the heck happened that season?!?!?)

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
                    Good thing I already opened my present from my kids of season 4 of NCIS. Tony and Gibbs will help ease my pain. (Except that in season 4 both of them seem to be spending an awful lot of time smooching. [I should clarify that they're smooching women, not each other.] What the heck happened that season?!?!?)
                    Perhaps I should have put this in spoiler space....

Spoiler:
                    I'm thinking season four was mainly a set up for season five--which was a very sad season, indeed. Surprising and tragic for so many of the team....

Um...Over the Rainbow to go....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Huh, that was entertaining. My iTunes just pulled off one of those great completely random moments. Killing in the Name Of by Rage Against the Machine straight into Sigur Ros' Hoppipolla ... and then the oddest pair of parody songs known to man: Nana Window and My Lamb Bhuna

(No link to Rage due to the large amount of swearing. Though it is currently the UKs Xmas Number 1 )
                      Last edited by jonno; 22 December 2009, 07:24 PM.
                      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Tie Breaker

sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

The Mystery Voter Round ONE HUNDRED 'n TWO 'n change!!

teehee!!

sry ... it seems our MV has gone AWOL!! no song updates or new clues!
                          sigpic
                          SCORE!!
                          The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

Originally posted by raduzhok View Post
                            Did you mean to post an I'll Be Home For Christmas song up there? Didn't see/hear a song when I clicked on the link And exactly why were you running?

I can't hear O Tannenbaum without thinking of the periodic table of Elements. Hub, who is deeply immersed in physics and all that surrounds it, was trying to teach me the table and we used the song to help me memorize it. It worked very well then.

i was ... it was this in fact ...

sry it was late and i was pooped ... for a good cause though ... i went to see the habs play at blueland!! ... was seated next to two guys who flew in from montreal ... so a teeney practice of my parlez vous francais ... lots of high fives ~~ for each and every goal ... especially the one in OT ... and even again for the one in OT when it went under review ~~~

i will let squee explain the running bit!!

teehee!!
                            Last edited by aintright; 22 December 2009, 07:59 PM.
                            sigpic
                            SCORE!!

Comment

was gonna vote over the rainbow to go ... but then there would still be a tie ... course i could be cindy lou who and make Callista pick the loser ... but that would be ever so grinch like

so i will also abstain

Spoiler:
                              merry Christmas Callista!!

teehee!!
                              sigpic
                              SCORE!!

Comment

Round ONE HUNDRED 'n Two is Officially Over!!

Cat's In The Cradle and the baby is crying and well so is ummm ... shhhh!!

And the DJ says this disc is chipped and should go in the bin...

Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin - 1974

6 Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin - 1974
                                5 Over The Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Spoiler:
                                5 Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin - 1974
                                5 Over The Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
                                4 Black Hole Sun - Sound Garden
                                4 Creep - Radiohead
                                4 Don't Look Back - Boston - 1978
                                4 Dust in the Wind - Kansas - 1977
                                4 Goodnight Moon - Shivaree
                                4 Music of the Night - Andrew Lloyd Webber
                                4 Renegade - Styx - 1978
                                4 Tainted Love - Soft Cell
                                4 Unforgiven - Metallica
                                3 American Pie - Don McLean - 1972
                                3 Coffee and TV - Blur
                                3 Hotel California - Eagles - 1977
                                3 Hurt - Johnny Cash - 2002
                                3 Imagine - John Lennon - 1971
                                3 Nothing Else Matters - Metallica - 1991
                                3 November Rain - Guns 'n Roses - 1992
                                3 Somewhere Over the Rainbow – Judy Garland
                                2 Bloody Well Right - Supertramp - 1974
                                2 Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
                                2 Iron Butterfly - In A Gadda Da Vida
                                2 Should I Stay? - The Clash
                                2 Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd - 1973
                                2 Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin - 1971
                                2 Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi - 1986
                                2 You Can't Always Get What You Want - The Rolling Stones - 1969
                                1 500 Miles - The Proclaimers
                                1 California Dreamin - The Mamas & The Papas - 1965
                                1 Desperado - The Eagles
                                1 Good Vibrations - Beach Boys
                                1 Have You Ever Seen the Rain? Creedence Clearwater Revival - 1970
                                1 Oh Fortuna - Carl Orff
                                1 Paint it Black - Rolling Stones
                                1 Respect - Aretha Franklin - 196?
                                1 Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
                                1 The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel
                                1 The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel - 1964
                                1 Walking After You - Foo Fighters
                                1 Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
                                1 Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who - 1971
                                0 Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen - 1975
                                0 In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
                                0 Let It Be - The Beatles -
                                0 Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

So On To Round One Hundred 'n Three!!!

The survivors -- whats left to vote for!! just clickie!

Pick Your 7 SEVEN least favorite!!!!!

oh! and your guesses on who loves the song kicked out this round!! -- no peeking either eh!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part Two

Spoiler:
                                be good now or Santa won't come to play at your house!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

let it snow

harry connick jr

breath of heaven

amy grant

this one is such a brilliat piece ... *sigh*

i wonder what i've done ... holy father you have come ... chosen me now ... must i walk this path alone ... be with me now ... hold me together ... be forever near me ... i offer all i am ... for the mercy of your plan ... help me be strong ... help me ...

teehee!!
                                sigpic
                                SCORE!!

Comment

Working...
                                X