No announcement yet.

Women: Can they drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would just like to point out one slight difference between male and female drivers. Men are more aggressive drivers and take bigger risks and make the decision to do so faster. Women generally drive much less aggressively than men, and are not usually deliberately taking risks. THIS is the key difference between male and female drivers and the reason men get into more accidents. As such, this aspect has nothing to do with skill in driving, but instead illustrates the difference in genetic predisposition. Therefore, accidents and tickets are an unreliable source for determining what gender is a better skilled driver. Tests have been done that show men to have a miniscule edge is actual driving skill over women. But, even those tests were skewed because of the cultural differences between men and women. To use Danica Patrick as an example, she's that female Indy Racing driver pictured on the first page. Technically, she is as good a driver as any man. She has had the same training and passed the same tests to be able to drive a race car. BUT, the difference is she has not WON many races. And this is where her natural tendencies show the differences between men and women. Although she hasn't won many races, she consistantly places in the top ranks of drivers. Why? Because she naturally drives more consistantly than men and does not take those extreme risks that could decide whether she wins or crashes. And it is often that little extra risk that changes who would win the race. Men on the other hand, are more likely to take that chance and risk it all for the win, often leading to disaster. It's called "Going for Broke". That's why a lot of the male drivers both admire her and despise her. Because they know she is going to be consistant and won't be easy to "bait" into taking the extra risk where they can take advantage of any mistakes. Basically, she throws a monkey wrench into the tactics and it makes it harder to run and stick to a game plan.

So, basically, both sexes are equally capable in skills, but they approach risks differently. Now saying that, I will say this, some of the "worst" drivers in my area are not men, or even teenagers, but instead middle aged "soccor moms". Why? Because they are trying to do several things at once. (makeup, hair, cell phone, kids etc.) So it's not a gender thing, or even an age thing, but a combination of factors. (distractions, rushing, experience, emotional state.) Men have those same factors, but the levels of each are different for men than women. Distractions may play a bigger role in female accidents, whereas male impatience and emotional state play a bigger role in causing male accidents. The only factor that really favors one gender over the other is that men typically drive more often and longer distances than women. The frequncy and duration that you spend on the road GREATLY affects your risk of an accident. Tests have shown that under the exact same conditions with the same exact factors, men and women are equally skilled and at risk of an accident. So yes, women can drive. But so can men. And there is a difference between speeding and driving too fast. You can drive 100MPH and be perfectly safe, yet you can also drive only 50MPH and be a danger. That's why here in the States, you can get a "speeding" ticket even if you aren't exceeding the limit. So why is this important? Because, take the Autobahn for instance. There are less accidents per car-mile than on the US "super" highways. Why? But aren't people driving twice as fast on the Autobahn than you can on US "super" highways? Yes they are. BUT, the critical difference is that typically people on the Autobahn concentrate more on driving BECAUSE they are going so fast. That just clearly demonstrates how much those factors (distractions, rushing, weather, emotional state.) play a role in causing an accident. So whether you are male or female makes no difference in skill, people just need to concentrate on driving, stop trying to do 10 other things, and don't drive if you are in a bad or upset mood. If everyone did that, accidents would probably drop by atleast 50%.

And ladies, some guys just like to call women bad drivers to either piss them off or tease them. IE, men know they can get an emotional rise out of you by saying that. It's just something men can tease women about the way men tease eachother about other things that they couldn't and shouldn't tease a woman about. In those cases, the validity of the argument is irrelevant, it's the goal of getting a response from you that is relevant.
    Last edited by Freekzilla; 27 October 2006, 06:43 AM. Reason: Misspelled name
    Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
    Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
      I'm sure there must be an equally amusing pic of a man's brain

I can't make one cos I can't do internet fancy stuff for toffee, but it'd be something like...

40% Bosoms
      20% Driving fast
      15% Smell receptor supressant (activated by the sight of socks)
      .02% Ability to purchase vegetables in a supermarket
      1% Knowing where the washing machine is but pretending not to
      3% Baseball stats (US Only)
      3% Caring about the Offside rule (everyone else)

Or maybe that's just a load of old cobblers too
      60% sex (breasts, buttocks, legs and "pubic area")

15% Sports (watching, playing, discussing)

5% hygiene (Bathing, shaving)

3% cleaning skills (if we can see the floor still, the room isn't dirty)

2% time management (we always try to do twice as much as time will allow)

.001% Anti Foot-in-Mouth control (when do we EVER say the right things?)

3% Good eating habits (Who do you think came up with the Turducken? It's stuffing inside a chicken stuffed inside a duck, that is then stuffed inside a turkey. Only a man could think of stuffing food inside of more food.)

7% Mechanical pleasure center (big engines and shiny chrome sensative)

1% Smell receptors (seizes control of brain when hungry, shutting down all other functions)

2% Cultural enrichment center (only active when he's "in the dog house")

1.999% Memory recall (default setting is for that 60% item)

What do you people think? Is that about right?

Comment

I'm completely agree with Freekzilla, those are the things on my mind.

Comment

Actually, I'd say the worst drivers are seniors. Male AND female. Look at that guy who plowed his car through a crowd of people, killing several of them. Or the woman who crashed her car into the front of a store. And the ones who drive twenty in a fifty zone.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            Actually, I'd say the worst drivers are seniors. Male AND female. Look at that guy who plowed his car through a crowd of people, killing several of them. Or the woman who crashed her car into the front of a store. And the ones who drive twenty in a fifty zone.
            OK, you got me there. Per car-mile, the 65+ crowd are as bad anyone. I personally think anyone over 65 needs to be retested every year to make sure they can see properly and can handle the task. I say this after having to be in the car with a 72 year old for an hour long trip. I NEVER got in the car with anyone over 65 driving again. And I never will. When I am 65, I won't get in the car with myself. LOL. At 80, I think seniors should trade in those Buicks and Cadilacs for a golf cart. It's small enough and slow enough for them to handle safely. Though, I would STILL not get in one of those with a senior either. And just so that you know, I don't even let my mother drive me anywhere when I visit them or they come here. My mother's nickname is Maria Andretti. Can you figure out why?

Comment

OF COURSE!

Of couse women can drive. They CAN drive very well.

Just, k'now, not cars. NOT cars!

Women can only drive magical vehicles that only exist in their dreams.

(They're pink and have boxes of 'My Little Pony' in the boot)
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

o_O why was my last post deleted?

Comment

I can't drive, my swing has been poor since a bout of pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel syndrome. (My putting is excellent though). My husband is better at driving (though not at putting) and I reckon it's because he's never been preggers and never had CTS.

QED.

Madeleine

Comment

I can't drive, my swing has been poor since a bout of pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel syndrome. (My putting is excellent though). My husband is better at driving (though not at putting) and I reckon it's because he's never been preggers and never had CTS.

QED.
                    lmao, I tried to green you but it wont let me. I'll try again l8rz
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

A number of posts, that implied negative things about the people who find this thread unfunny or offensive, have been snipped out.

It's not necessary. No one's stopping us having our fun here, and sensitive people often have jolly good reasons for their sensitivity, and are entitled to feel that way without being dissed.

Madeleine

Comment

A number of posts, that implied negative things about the people who find this thread unfunny or offensive, have been snipped out.

It's not necessary. No one's stopping us having our fun here, and sensitive people often have jolly good reasons for their sensitivity, and are entitled to feel that way without being dissed.
                        Don't remember exactly what I said but I doubt it was the offensive. I just wanted to point out that one should never make fun of those who are different unless one is willing to make fun of onesself and those who are alike.

That and Carlos Mencia's wonderful insight that if you don't have the huevos to tell a racist, sexist, agist, religious or ethnic joke in front of the people that joke is meant to offend then you have no right telling that joke in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by FeloniousMonk View Post
                          Don't remember exactly what I said but I doubt it was the offensive. I just wanted to point out that one should never make fun of those who are different unless one is willing to make fun of onesself and those who are alike.

That and Carlos Mencia's wonderful insight that if you don't have the huevos to tell a racist, sexist, agist, religious or ethnic joke in front of the people that joke is meant to offend then you have no right telling that joke in the first place.
                          um............................what? Are you saying that it wasn't my place to make this thread because I'm not a woman? awww I was only havin a laugh, sheesh.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                            um............................what? Are you saying that it wasn't my place to make this thread because I'm not a woman? awww I was only havin a laugh, sheesh.
                            Well, with a few snips here and a few snips there, you COULD be a woman. LOL!

I wonder if MOD Snipping can also acheive this? LOLOLOL!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                              I think what they were saying is that if you're going to say an offensive, dumb, and thoughtless joke, you should do it in front of the people you have the potential to piss off the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
                                I think what they were saying is that if you're going to say an offensive, dumb, and thoughtless joke, you should do it in front of the people you have the potential to piss off the most.
                                lol, so what you're saying is..........that.......the whole point of eating potatoes.....is to do so....without turning it into charkoal by leaving it in the microwave fo too long?

I don't see how that's relevant to this thread, sorry

Try again

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X