Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is everyone so controlling in this forum?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
    I'm confused, what is that supposed to prove? The reason there is a "Worst Episode" thread above mine is because mine had been closed, and someone followed the link that was left to post in that one... thus, it became listed before mine.

When I did the search, it wasn't there.
    if you'll excuse me butting in - the thread above yours had several thousand views, and lots more postings. At a wild guess I'd say it had been around longer.

The point is: yes, some people can point out with "superiority complex" filled glee that your thread is a duplicate. Ignore them

Some people like to talk about the subject,and some will even be friendly enough to point out where else you can do so (presumably if you start a thread, you're at least vaguely interested in the topic)

Mods, in general, don't mind merging threads. They're a friendly, helpful bunch and that's why they get paid the big Magic Bean bucks.

If everything which discusses one topic is in one thread, you have much MUCH more liklihood of it turning into a good discussion, with lots of input. If it is in 5 fractured threads, everyone will ignore it and go and play somewhere else.

Fact of life I'm afraid.

In summay: don't be sensitive to the superiority complex types, and slip the mods a few magic beans under the table. Your GateWorld Forum experience will be all the better for it.

Trust me. I'm a clanger.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
      I'm confused, what is that supposed to prove? The reason there is a "Worst Episode" thread above mine is because mine had been closed, and someone followed the link that was left to post in that one... thus, it became listed before mine.

When I did the search, it wasn't there.
      I did the search when I replied to your original thread aswell probably just a little while after you posted and it appeared on the first page then aswell

Its supposed to prove that not being able to use the search function correctly is not a reason to call someone 'anal'
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

I think the attitude may be attributed to the change in SG-1 and Atlantis. They are trying to reaffirm control of things they have with regards to Stargate.
        Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
        The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
        I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
        A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
        That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
        Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
        Caboose: They could be worse?
        Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by leaper
          Can't agree with you on that...from what I've seen, a good portion of the time finding the appropriate thread is to prove the point, to, may I suggest, appear superior.
          I guess some people are more touchy then I am. *thought I was pretty touchy though* I don't always say, there is another thread and here it is; with the sweetest, sickliest smilie I can find; but mostly I will set people on the path to the appropriate thread because that seems like the decent thing to do.

It seems to me that it is the superiority of the Thread starter more then the person who points out to them that this thread already exist, I think sometimes people start threads so they can see their little user name in the columns.

Why else would people get so upset? I really can't see why it matters if what you want is just to discuss with others a particular topic, also I would be happy for there to have already been a thread because maybe my question has been asked and answered or maybe there are loads of posters who are already in agreement with me and I can post away in that thread without being "flamed".

Personally I would rather have all the discussion in one thread then spread out in little pockets here and there, not to mention in different sections of GW. *OK i'm just weird like that*

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
            I guess some people are more touchy then I am. *thought I was pretty touchy though* I don't always say, there is another thread and here it is; with the sweetest, sickliest smilie I can find; but mostly I will set people on the path to the appropriate thread because that seems like the decent thing to do.
            Setting people on the path to appropriate threads is only a right thing to do. Or else why would half of waste time pointing it out and not have the other person thanking us?

I reckon not all people are greatful for the help giving.

Why else would people get so upset? I really can't see why it matters if what you want is just to discuss with others a particular topic, also I would be happy for there to have already been a thread because maybe my question has been asked and answered or maybe there are loads of posters who are already in agreement with me and I can post away in that thread without being "flamed".
            Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Personally I would rather have all the discussion in one thread then spread out in little pockets here and there, not to mention in different sections of GW. *OK i'm just weird like that*
            OH indeed it alot more easier to find then

Comment

well, I wouldn't expect to be thanked for pointing out some links and the fact that it's a duplicate thread (yes, ex-mod speaking here )

I've just realised, however, that being the thread starter somehow confers some kind of "ownership" over a thread. It must be important to some people, and losing it is seen as a blow or demotion.
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X