This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonno
    hmm, generally we are at Uni to 'study,' but when studying for a particular exam, it's called 'revising'
    Ah, it's called "studying" in either case here.

Glad someone recocognised chemistry! The stuff's not actually that bad ... it's just i've been so lazy over the Christmas Hols i'm worried i won't have done enough work for the exam.
    I just hated the rote memorization of it all. Memorizing all the different chemical groups got incredibly tiresome. I had a professor for organic chemistry that wasn't much help, either - he really kind of looked down his nose at you when you asked a question. I think my only saving grace was that my lab professor for that class was a very down-to-earth surfer guy that explained things extremely well, and was just happy to be there and help.
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
      I just hated the rote memorization of it all. Memorizing all the different chemical groups got incredibly tiresome.
      Oh yes ... especially in my A-Level (the final exams you do before you before you leave school) chemistry, where you had to remember all the organic functional groups, and also the reagents, and worse - conditions, to convert one functional group to another.

Ugh!
      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Oh yes ... especially in my A-Level (the final exams you do before you before you leave school) chemistry, where you had to remember all the organic functional groups, and also the reagents, and worse - conditions, to convert one functional group to another.

Ugh!
        ...and that, right there, is my chemistry nightmare! I'll stick with my zoology...

Comment

...and that, right there, is my chemistry nightmare! I'll stick with my zoology...
          indeed ... we seem to share similar paths - i'm doing a Biology course at uni. Although i'm doing Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, in the first year (where i am now), we have an entire double module on "Whole Organisms and the Environment."

In fact, there's still an option to change to Zoology, as it shares a first year.

I'm always interested to know why other Biologists chose which branch to go into. Personally, i don't find the whole organism side as interesting, but that's just me.

Comment

I'm graduating from High School!!!!!! YEAH! Then I'm going off to Biola University in California!

Comment

Originally posted by Potion Mistress
              woot! congrats! i won't be graduating from nursing school until Spring 2007
              Cool, GL. I'm graduating in the summer of that yr. I'm in my 2nd yr of Biological Sciences at the Univeristy of East Anglia in England but I'm thinking of possibly specializing in Molecular Biology in my third yr as my job is working as a lab assistant in plant bio research and I've become quite interested in microbiology so the by doing that both will be covered. I wish every1 GL, bet you'll all do well.
              Originally posted by xfkirestion
              I'll be graduating from the University of San Diego with a BA in Biology.
              Interesting, it's diff in the uk cause I'm doing a BSc (Bachelor of Science). In the uk a BA is a Bachelor of Arts. What does it stand for in the USA?
              Last edited by Dr Weir; 12 January 2006, 02:04 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Argh ... America is so confusing ... you see in the UK, you're final two years at school (when you're 17/18), take place in a 'college'.

also - my two college years were spent at a place called Nottingham High School

AND - at school/college in the UK, we have 'terms' not 'semesters'

BUT, when you get to university (= american college), you have semesters, not terms.

Confused yet ... cos i am

Oh yeah ... i'm 19, so at my first year of a three year course at Durham University.

And I have a collections exam a week on Friday, which i haven't revised for

Anyone else understand radial wavefunctons? No? How about Nucleophilic Addition? ... Enantiomers? Didn't think so!
                Nottingham High School!!!! Hehehe!

Was that the boys? I thought they were based in W/B and got closed down?
                If not, then it's the girls high school with the obsessively fussy skirt length rules.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

indeed ... we seem to share similar paths - i'm doing a Biology course at uni. Although i'm doing Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, in the first year (where i am now), we have an entire double module on "Whole Organisms and the Environment."

In fact, there's still an option to change to Zoology, as it shares a first year.

I'm always interested to know why other Biologists chose which branch to go into. Personally, i don't find the whole organism side as interesting, but that's just me.
                  I've always been a huge animal nut. Always had pets, always had annual passes to zoos... I've been volunteering with wildlife (Seattle Aquarium, wildlife rehab in Washington State, and now the California Wolf Center) ever since I was old enough. I was dying to work with marine mammals - I've always been obsessed with dolphins and killer whales. Really, I'll take any zookeeping job I can get, though!

Originally posted by Dr Weir
                  Interesting, it's diff in the uk cause I'm doing a BSc (Bachelor of Science). In the uk a BA is a Bachelor of Arts. What does it stand for in the USA?
                  We actually have both BAs and BSs here in the States... my school is just weird, though, and almost all their science degrees are Bachelor of Arts degrees. Coursework-wise, it's basically the same as you'd find in a BS program, but the school in general just does BAs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    Nottingham High School!!!! Hehehe!

Was that the boys? I thought they were based in W/B and got closed down?
                    If not, then it's the girls high school with the obsessively fussy skirt length rules.
                    Yeah, it was the boys, and it certainly hasn't been closed ... it's in Nottingham (UK - in case there's another one elsewhere)

Here's its website (if you don't believe me): http://www.nottinghamhigh.co.uk/

There is also a girls school just over the road ... but i wouldn't know about fussy skirt length rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
                      I'm in my 2nd yr of Biological Sciences at the Univeristy of East Anglia in England but I'm thinking of possibly specializing in Molecular Biology
                      wow ... another Biological Sciences student ... that makes at least 3 of us in this thread alone!

Comment

Originally posted by Erin
                        I'm graduating from High School!!!!!! YEAH! Then I'm going off to Biola University in California!

Hey cool!...thats not too far from where i live...lol. I'm not 100% sure where i'm going yet...because most of my acceptance letters don't come until around March. So i'm a bit nervous to see if I even get in anywhere. I got accepted to Cal Poly Pomona, but i'm not sure if I truely want to go there yet...so, all i can do for now is sit here and cross my fingers...lol

Comment

Yeah, it was the boys, and it certainly hasn't been closed ... it's in Nottingham (UK - in case there's another one elsewhere)

Here's its website (if you don't believe me): http://www.nottinghamhigh.co.uk/

There is also a girls school just over the road ... but i wouldn't know about fussy skirt length rules.
                          Sorry, I dunno what I was thinking. Of course it didn't close... the playing fields are just down the road from the City Hospital.

I'm a Nottingham girl myself. I come from Bridgford, went to the West Bridgford School.
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                            Sorry, I dunno what I was thinking. Of course it didn't close... the playing fields are just down the road from the City Hospital.

I'm a Nottingham girl myself. I come from Bridgford, went to the West Bridgford School.
                            Really? Hmm Small World. I'm from Bramcote (the bit near Bramcote Lane Shops, not the bit the other side of the A52 - if you know the area). Although i'm now at Durhan Uni, i'm back for half the year ... still do the odd bit of work at Bramcote Leisure Centre in fact.

So ... in this thread i've managed to meet another Nott'm person, and two other Biologists.

It's a really small world

Comment

7. If you don't drink coffee (or similar highly-caffeinated beverage)... start.
                              I want to, believe me I do...I could use it in high school. But I just can't stand coffee, tea, or soda!

Oh, and YAY! I graduate in June! I am soooooooooooo ready!
                              gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by gatehorse
                                I want to, believe me I do...I could use it in high school. But I just can't stand coffee, tea, or soda!

Oh, and YAY! I graduate in June! I am soooooooooooo ready!
                                I hated coffee before... and then I let myself start drinking mochas... and then it was all over from there.

I've always been a pop addict, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X