Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language: Stargate/English 101 - A new course being offered this Fall at a college near you! Okay, I just had to lighten the mood a bit.

On a more serious note, there are some grammar/spelling mistakes that just shouldn't happen, but they do.
    "Out of the way it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind." --Pink Floyd

Comment

To actually have some fun with this topic, I'd also recommend reading "Eats, shoots and leaves" by Lynne Truss. I has a really great chapter about the poor misused apostrophe...

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
      Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
      ~CELLO!~
      ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

it doesn't bother me if people make spelling errors in posts, as long as i know what they're saying. same thing for abbreviations - as long as i know what they're saying, i'm okay, but when people deliberately use tons of obscure abbreviations or go whole sentences without saying a single full word, it gets tedious.

however, it annoys me when people spell stuff like "goa'uld" and "o'neill" wrong in fanfiction, because it just pulls me out of the story.

by the way, did anyone else notice that in the tv guide article about sg-1, they spelled goa'uld wrong? somehow it became "Gou'Ald".

Comment

Ah yes. I love the panda joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
            A funny thing just happened to me, I was reading a post (on another thread)that had an amusing spelling mistake in it, and three minutes later I found myself reading a post (in this thread) complete with mis-spelled 'apostrophe' and criticisim of people who make spelling mistakes. And you know what? Same poster! Let he who is without sin...

I don't really care about people writing O'Niell or Go'auld. What does it matter, we all know what is meant when we read those words.

Language is about communication. If a person makes themselves clearly understood then that's enough for me. I'm more interested in what a person has to say than whether they spell it right. This is a forum for fun and stimulating discussion, and a place for some people to relax, not a professional writers' forum, and not a school, so don't be surprised if some people's idea of relaxation doesn't involve running to the dictionary to find out how many 'f's in professional.

The same goes for foreign speakers; if they are making themselves understood well who cares if they substitute ther for there?

BUT - if anyone here is so bothered by any individual's speeling or gramer that they can't relax and have fun themselves, the Ignore function works just as well here as on Delphi.
            What other post? If it was amusing I'm sure it was a typo, rather than a spelling error, and I rarely read back over my post...

And apostrophe is a difficult word to spell! I'm sure more than half the people on this board can't spell it. I was trying to get around using the word, but just gave up on it I think there's a difference between mis-spelling apostrophe and not being able to tell that have and of aren't the same word!

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
              I see people using color all the time here, and other misspelt words like mom instead of mum and there's worse.
              "Mom" is the American spelling, "mum" the English...that whole "tomato vs. tomato" debate (with the different way of pronouncing it)...

One thing that bothers me is people using an @ or * in place of a letter in a crude word...like it some how makes the word less offensive. It just seems idiotic to me.
              "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

I use additional characters in mild swear words because I don't know how active the netnanny system is here and I figure cr@p is more definitive than ####. I'd prefer that people know exactly what I mean rather than have them fill in their OWN words.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  I use additional characters in mild swear words because I don't know how active the netnanny system is here and I figure cr@p is more definitive than ####. I'd prefer that people know exactly what I mean rather than have them fill in their OWN words.

Well you could type krap, c_rap or something similar

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                    Well you could type krap, c_rap or something similar
                    And that would spell, what? Carap? Corap? Chrap, maybe? The @ is enough like an a to suit my needs, thanks just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      And that would spell, what? Carap? Corap? Chrap, maybe? The @ is enough like an a to suit my needs, thanks just the same.

How far do you go when doing that?

©unt?
                      Fu¢ke®?
                      ßit©h?
                      (Do not take offence of this. this isn't towards you, just took some words in general to modify)

Well I am hardcore against any kind of filters. If someone is old enough to surf here, they probably have an idea of what the male/female body looks like and already know all the less nicer words for them

Comment

I don't use the first two. If the @ isn't applicable as a substitute, I generally settle for an * or three. In rare moments of frivolity, I've even been known to substitute an ! for an i.

I also try to avoid cussing casually and instead use it (usually) as a means of expressing the depths of my feelings on a given subject.

But none of that has much to do with spelling errors or grammar. I'm an English snob and proud of it. English is the closest thing I have to a gift. I've always been good at it and I can remember being tested once prior to high school and being told that my comprehension was at the graduate level. But then, I've never graduated beyond First Grade math, so that keeps me humble. Or at least, it's meant to keep me humble.

Comment

Well everyone is good at someting. I'm good at always being honest when someone asks me something, which has cost me many friends

Comment

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm also bad at history, geography, singing, art, politics, weather prediction, biology, geology, chemistry, sociology, acting, languages other than English, philosophy, physics (except for a smattering of quantum mechanics), astronomy (I can name the planets and ID a few constellations, though), dog mushing, basket weaving and anything to do with sports (although I like to watch curling).

I can, however, walk and chew gum at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                              Well everyone is good at someting. I'm good at always being honest when someone asks me something, which has cost me many friends
                              I'm not good at anything...although I suppose that makes me good at being good at nothing....
                              "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                                What other post? If it was amusing I'm sure it was a typo, rather than a spelling error, and I rarely read back over my post...

And apostrophe is a difficult word to spell! I'm sure more than half the people on this board can't spell it. I was trying to get around using the word, but just gave up on it I think there's a difference between mis-spelling apostrophe and not being able to tell that have and of aren't the same word!
                                I saw your other post and found it amusing as well. Plaque, plague. One letter, two entirely different meanings.

I personally am more surprised that someone doesn't know how to spell "apostrophe", a commonly used word in the English language, than the proper names of fictional characters in a TV show, but that's just me.

Obviously, these forums are a casual environment where people from all over the world come together to exchange ideas and information. It's a place to have fun and I don't spend a lot of time focusing on poor spelling and grammar although I'll admit I pay more attention to the posts written by the more articulate members of the forum. I'm not a talented writer but I at least try and take some time to proofread my posts and catch spelling and grammar errors. I'm amazed at the number of people who just don't seem to care.
                                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                                X