No announcement yet.

Calling all Scots!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didnae ken that's where they were from!
    sigpic

Comment

Well, technically, the Broons and Oor Wullie live in the fictional town of Auchenshoogle.

But it's basically a mishmash of Glasgow and Dundee anyway.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

That's the name! I couldn't remember and was attempting to do so without the aid of Google. Thank you
        sigpic

Comment

D.C.Thomson, the publishers, are a Dundee company, and have buildings all over the city. The building where the Broons and Oor Wullie are compiled is just up the road from where I am. You can see it here It's the building with Dennis the Menace, Desparate Dan and Oor Wullie on the sides.
          We even have city centre statues of Desperate Dan and Minnie the Minx
          sigpic

Comment

So have you ever stolen Wullie's bucket?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kirsten187 View Post
              So have you ever stolen Wullie's bucket?
              I joined lots and lots of people this summer doing the Oor Wullie Bucket Trail. There were statues of Wullie sitting on his bucket situated all over the city and beyond.It was a great success, and the whole town was talking about it. The statues were auctioned off and made a great amount of money for charity.
              sigpic

Comment

I really wish I'd known about that!
                sigpic

Comment

How is everyone this Friday evening? How's the snow where you are?
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm fine, thanks.

No snow where I am today, but I live two streets away from the Clyde so it has to be snowing quite heavily for it to show.

We'd a couple of brief flurries yesterday, but nothing came of it.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

It was similar in Edinburgh (the parts I saw, anyway!). There was some last night when I woke up at 4am. I went back to sleep and it was gone a few hours later.
                      sigpic

Comment

I really hope I get either a callback from Amazon, or another job, soon.

Being unemployed these days is no fun at all. Long gone are the days when the Job Centre (I'm old enough to remember when it was the DSS) just left you in peace, and you didn't have some wee nosey woman sticking her beak into everything an anything.

This whole Universal Credit thing that's been rolled out seems to be specifically designed to be so overcomplicated that people will be so discouraged by it, that they won't bother applying in the first place. And even if you do apply, it seems deliberately designed to trip people up, so that they get Sanctioned for "not looking for work hard enough" or whatever, which means Westminster can say "Hey look! Unemployment is down!"
                        sigpic

Comment

I've been at the Job Centre on 2 separate occasions. One time was after I was made redundant in 2007 for about 3 months. The 2nd time was in 2008 for 6 months after my contract job ended.

I hated it both times.
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh, the amount of hoops you have to jump through these days is unbelievable.

I've probably said in the past, but at some point in the last ten years or so, the Job Centre has become less and less about helping you find work, and more and more about getting you off benefits by any means fair or foul.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm happy to report that despite the Earth shattering events of yesterday, the world hasn't ended.

Or maybe it did and nobody noticed...
                              sigpic

Comment

Maybe we've been moved to an alternate reality or a holodeck without us knowing?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X